jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

What makes some people believe that the American government should rescue poor p

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What makes some people believe that the American government should rescue poor people and

enable them socioeconomically instead of promoting self-accountability and responsibility for one's own socioeconomic actions and fate?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8903001_f260.jpg

2. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 3 years ago

Yes, all those disabled people should just suck it up and get a job.  I'm not sure why we need to demonize the poor all the time.  I get promoting accountability and providing opportunities to better oneself, but this whole demonization of anyone and everyone on public assistance gets old.  Guess what? I was on public assistance for awhile.  My husband who worked a job broke his back and required around the clock care for months on end that I had to provide.  We are and were both hard working people who had a bad spell.  Without govt assistance we'd have ended up homeless. 

Not everyone using the system stays on it - we didn't. It is in place for a reason - because it is the right thing to do.  Would it be better to have tons of homeless people?

Why don't we discuss the real welfare queens - the huge corporations that ship jobs overseas, dodge taxes, and cry about having an actual living minimum wage when they make record profits.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

What you have eloquently stated is so true.  I am for welfare to take care of the severely physically, mentally, and psychologically disabled.  They need someone to look after them.  Also the blessed elderly and our precious children.

2. CraftytotheCore profile image82
      CraftytotheCoreposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I think you both have a good heart for the same result.  That's what we need more of in this world, like minds with determination for a common goal for the greater good.

3. grand old lady profile image84
    grand old ladyposted 3 years ago

Okay, this is the last time I'm gonna comment on something that has to do with America, since I live 10,000 miles away and I'm not even American. I think it's okay to give people a hand up, which is very different from a handout. And if people have the capacity to pay more taxes, I don't think it's unfair to scale taxes according to earnings. After all, some people can buy 10 jaguars. Whatever your car is, it will still get you from point A to B. It just might be good for rich people to have a reality check by paying more taxes. Too much money, too many vices that eventually eat you up and take over your life. Better to pay more taxes so you can spend your excess more judiciously and live a more down to earth life and -- I honestly believe this -- be happier.

gmwilliamsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Always state your VOICE, it does not matter where you were born! State your voice!

working