jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Whatever happened to "Majority Rules"?

1. IDONO profile image82
    IDONOposted 3 years ago

Whatever happened to "Majority Rules"?

I'm part of what America calls "the majority". But what has happened is that being part of that has me to where every other race, religion, culture, nationality sexual preference groups or others, is telling me what I can or cannot say, think, drink, eat, read, believe or anything which may offend someone, which would be pretty much every time I open my mouth. As long as I am reasonable, these smaller groups should just shut up and deal with it. It's part of life and you have no right to tell me to change my life for your comfort. Agree or disagree? Does anyone remember, "Sticks and stones...?

2. peeples profile image96
    peeplesposted 3 years ago

The last two elections go to show you are NOT part of the majority unless you are liberal.
    " you have no right to tell me to change my life for your comfort." Are they suppose to change for your comfort?
    "Sticks and stones" Agreed until words become laws and laws start taking away anyones rights to include yours AND the minority groups.
    "telling me what I can or cannot say, think, drink, eat, read, believe or anything which may offend someone" Partial agree. Telling anyone what they can put in their own body should stop. including food, drink, and drugs. Noone's business what you do with your own body!! Noone tells you you can't think or believe anything you want. You are just being asked to keep it to your self!
    Does anyone remember, "If you don't have anything nice to say......."

1. IDONO profile image82
      IDONOposted 3 years agoin reply to this

No one has to change. It's called tolerance and respect. That is not liberal or conservative. That's maturity. People have become so fragile it's nuts. I truly think these issues have become a vehicle to make a splash; attract attention. Or distract.

3. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 3 years ago

It's always been a case of "Majority rules and minority rights". This is why the founding fathers set it up that each state would have two senators regardless of the population in their territories.
    It's very rare that a U.S. president is elected to office (without) getting the most votes. In the election of 2000 Al Gore got 50,999,897 votes and George W. got 50,456,002 votes. If the election was based only on the popular vote Al Gore would have been elected president.
    The United States Declaration of Independence begins with:
    "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
    Essentially this would go onto be our nation's moral conscious compass referenced and used to fight discrimination on every level whether it was intended to do so or not. We can't state the aforementioned are "words to live by" and turn around and discriminate against women, minorities, gays/lesbians, the elderly, and people of various religion beliefs.
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me" was a statement made to children to strengthen their resolve at schools and on the playgrounds. It was never used as a legal defense for bullying behavior, liable, defamation of character, slander, or discrimination to keep others from their right to pursue happiness. Slander is making a false spoken statement damaging to a person's reputation.
    Most conservatives consider themselves to be Christians. Even the bible lists "Thou shall not lie" in the 10 Commandments and the teachings of Christ says; "Love thy neighbor as thyself." and "Judge not lest ye be judged."
    Having said that (the majority) is oftentimes a "perception is reality" sort of thing. Just because everyone in (our) circle feels one way about something does not mean a national head count of 300+ million people would reveal the majority are in favor of what we believe.
    Most people don't bother to check the "national pulse" on hot button issues instead they end up preaching to their own choir louder and louder assuming they (are) majority. "Like attracts like."
    There is usually a great divide between the majority of people (we) know and the majority of people period. One has to step out of their comfort zone to see the (real) numbers regarding issues.

4. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 3 years ago

I've often wondered this when ever I see a vote in congress fail, despite having a majority vote. But there is a fine line between giving a minority too much power, and crushing them. In a country that touts so many freedoms, we can't adopt the mentality that says 'i'm the majority, therefore I win'. The idea is that all viewpoints and voices are equal, therefore none are superior. There is no 'if you don't like it, move' because our rights are the same. However, when a government can't even legislate with a majority of votes or public support, then something about the system isn't working.

5. joer4x4 profile image77
    joer4x4posted 3 years ago

The majority never ruled because the country was not set up as a democracy. It was set up as a republic where the people have the power. In a republic it is those with the loudest voices who rule. Another way to look at it is those who have the most power.

working