jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What makes the lighter skinned woman a status symbol, the ultimate symbol of soc

1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

What makes the lighter skinned woman a status symbol, the ultimate symbol of socioeconomic

success, and the prototype of beauty to darker skinned men?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9076288_f260.jpg

2. bethperry profile image92
    bethperryposted 3 years ago

I don't know..my darker skinned husband married pretty poorly. Maybe it was the dainty way I hold my pinkie out when holding a tea cup?

3. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 3 years ago

There are a variety of reasons or excuses. Colorism is one and this occurs within many races around the globe. Other reasons include a perceived higher level of education, intelligence or wealth in lighter skinned people. Perhaps some people acclimate to a European standard of beauty while excluding their own? If so, they are likely turning away some great mates just because of color of their skin. Oh the horrific irony!
    Also, some dark skinned people say they only want to be with those who are lighter skinned than themselves because they have experienced racism and do not want their children to endure as much racism as they did. I guess the intent is admirable but this plan of action is racist as well. Why limit yourself to certain colors of skin? Is your mate not MUCH MORE than this?
    I think everyone should date who they are attracted to no matter what the color of that person's skin is. If anyone is saying they stay away from a certain skin color or skin colors, that's damn surely their right but it's also a great limitation in finding true love. But, if they are seeking a status symbol, I guess they know nothing of true love?

4. MG Singh profile image46
    MG Singhposted 3 years ago

This is a concept rooted in mans psyche right from childhood with tales of Snow White. So its a concept that is accepted and will never go away.

working