jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)

Why are lighter skinned women seen as more beautiful & feminine than dark skinne

1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

Why are lighter skinned women seen as more beautiful & feminine than dark skinned women?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12885940_f260.jpg

2. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 2 years ago

It is due to racism when this is believed/done. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if the beholder is biased or racist they assume that only lighter skinned women are more beautiful and feminine. To that, I would say they need to get out more often and engage themselves in this world. It is sad that this idea still persists but as demographics continue to change, perhaps this idea will fade more quickly. It's particularly sad when people of the same racial backgrounds show colorism/racism against those who are part of that very background. A lot of people on the outside looking in have no clue this even exists however, it does.

3. profile image0
    candyhippieposted 2 years ago

Seen by whom? You could start by asking them. Conceptions of sexual and aesthetic beauty vary among people and cultures, and are often just different expressions of the same value. For example, the love of creamy light skin and the love of chocolatey dark skin share a common value in the appearance of smooth, pristine flawlessness, which is embodied in the best examples of each.

There's a lot of quazi-political hubbub going around about what "society thinks," but it seems most of it is based in the content of drugstore gossip magazines and the like, which are constructed to appeal to the lowest common denominator to make money, and aren't truly representative of what is most valued by the influential members of a society, let alone representative of what is truly valuable. I think we should be careful not to take those things too seriously.

1. Besarien profile image87
      Besarienposted 24 months agoin reply to this

I  agree. It makes me sad that what appeals to the lowest common denominator is also probably the first "objective expert" advice a girl finds on how to relate to the world and come to terms with her own changing body.

4. Besarien profile image87
    Besarienposted 24 months ago

The prevailing standards and expectations are Euro-centric. The search for lighter skin and better hair is a multibillion dollar Grail quest that nobody benefitting from the status quo wants to see end any time soon.

1. Michaela Osiecki profile image79
      Michaela Osieckiposted 24 months agoin reply to this

Indeed, and we can blame Western Imperialism and Colonialism on this.

5. peachpurple profile image80
    peachpurpleposted 24 months ago

yes, i agree that lighter skinned women are prettier than darker because they look elegant

6. bradmasterOCcal profile image30
    bradmasterOCcalposted 24 months ago

My first thought is that it would depend on what country you ask that question. The answer would be the same as why red apples are more popular than yellow apples. Simple because there are more of them.

working