jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

Should the United States abolish the death penalty?

1. Angela Kendrick profile image76
    Angela Kendrickposted 3 years ago

Should the United States abolish the death penalty?

Arizona has temporarily halted executions after the prolonged death of a convicted killer during an execution described by Sen. John McCain and others as "torture."  What are your thoughts on the death penalty?

2. Snøwman profile image60
    Snøwmanposted 3 years ago

Pros
    Some say life in prison is inhumane. You still end their life without killing them. People can't really do much in prison. Most people can't stand to be isolated for that long. There was a guy that bet a large amount of money (in the millions) that he could live in prison for several years. He lost the bet.
    Life sentence is just ending someones life in a way that you drag it on for years in a long slow and emotionally painful death. Why not just kill them quick and get it over with?

Cons
    What if we kill the wrong guy?
    Who would do the killing and how? Nobody wants to kill someone in the name of the law. How do you kill someone in a good way?

I'm currently undecided on which is better. Life sentence or death sentence. Perhaps the best thing is that every prisoner should be set free and given another chance.

1. Robert the Bruce profile image61
      Robert the Bruceposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Great analysis, snowman. I'm not sure I agree with your conclusion, but your analysis of the pro's and con's is good.

2. Snøwman profile image60
      Snøwmanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure if I agree with my conclusion either. It would mean letting dangerous people roam the streets again.

3. mdscoggins profile image84
    mdscogginsposted 3 years ago

The foundation of the death penalty was to ultimately set out and reduce violent crimes such as murder.  But studies have shown that in states that use the death penalty have similar if not higher crime rates to states without the death penalty. So if the sole purpose of the death penalty is not effective then why use it?  Also enforcing the death penalty is far more costlier than life in prison due to all the humane processes inmates are allowed such as using their right to appeal.  Additionally, I agree with Snowman that what if the wrong person is put to death.  This is essentially important with cases that occurred prior to DNA proof.  So I also question the death penalty, not that the criminal doesn't deserve punishment but the death penalty is not effective in reducing crimes.

4. cjhunsinger profile image74
    cjhunsingerposted 3 years ago

Yes, as soon as horrific crimes are no longer committed.

1. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

+++ This answer. Don't want to be "tortured" by the electric chair, don't go around brutally killing people!

working