This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

What Makes A Black Person Black? Culture, Genetics, Skin Color or Something Else

1. vveasey profile image85
    vveaseyposted 3 years ago

What Makes A Black Person Black? Culture, Genetics, Skin Color or Something Else?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/9141117_f260.jpg

2. Ericdierker profile image56
    Ericdierkerposted 3 years ago

What I found strange about this is that it can change. I thought of Mr. Obama as a Black person. Now I think of him as an Arab person. Or a White person.
    I see an east coaster in him. His hair just looks like an old persons now. I think I see some Asian in him also.
    Well others can hold on to the "one drop rule" but nowadays that seems kind of genetically primitive.
    So I think there is something else --- nowadays I think it is called choice. You can choose to be identified as Black if that is what you want. Or like my 4.5 year old half Asian half white says - "I am just me".

3. Porshadoxus profile image75
    Porshadoxusposted 3 years ago

Skin color is determined by DNA. The amount of melanin (pigment) in a person's skin is determined by just .0014% of our DNA code. That is 14 ten-thousandths of one percent of the entire DNA code in a human.

It is very sad that Africans were made slaves based on that small amount of the DNA code.

4. cjhunsinger profile image75
    cjhunsingerposted 3 years ago

Weasey

As science demonstrates we all come out of Africa and started out all dark skinned people. The question should be what makes an Asian look Asian and a Caucasian look Caucasian? I think that you might find that it is /was all in the diet and environment and time==evolution. The pigment called melanin.
    The Tower of Babel works for a lot of people.

working