jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Do you think the US should spend billions on Ebola? Why or why not?

1. Express10 profile image89
    Express10posted 3 years ago

Do you think the US should spend billions on Ebola? Why or why not?

More people die of the flu each year, there is one active case in the US and the cases in Africa are now beginning to decline with increased awareness and education about how to stop the spread.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/11957318_f260.jpg

2. ThompsonPen profile image78
    ThompsonPenposted 3 years ago

Initially, I as panicked about Ebola, and even more so knowing that they're going to begin bringing American citizens with Ebola to Harberview Hospital in Seattle (which is just on my doorstep). However, after seeing that things are getting better in Africa, I'm understanding everything better now, my fear is gone.
    Why shouldn't we spend this much money on it? After all, it's a matter of not just national safety but world wide safety, and I think all countries should be investing in the research and cure for it.
    Now, do I believe a business perspective should be involved? Absolutely not! But it shouldn't be involved in any part of health care. Period.

Express10posted 3 years agoin reply to this

You raise a good point which makes me wonder what other countries are contributing to the effort.

3. dianetrotter profile image73
    dianetrotterposted 3 years ago

We have no choice.  As long as people travel internationally, there is a high risk of Ebola coming to the US.  If direct travel is banned, people will take more circuitous routes.  Look at how AIDS traveled.

Very good point! Hope you are doing well.

2. dianetrotter profile image73
      dianetrotterposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you and thank you for asking if I'm doing well.  I have hip, back, knee, neck and hand challenges but I'm blessed.  I'm more worried about ISIS than Ebola ... I think!

3. Express10 profile image89

I wish you continued blessings and a lighter load on your challenges. I'd worry more about the flu and ISIS than Ebola as well.

4. Old-Empresario profile image82
    Old-Empresarioposted 3 years ago

No. The media really f*cked this one up by scaring the hell out of the American public over absolutely nothing. Politicians who don't want this used against them in an election have to respond, because the public have lost their minds over this. Now we're wasting a ton of money on something that is of no threat to us. Ebola has been around for many decades now and we're acting like this is the first "scare". I'm embarrassed by it all.

I agree with you. Many thousands of people die of the flu every single year. When I go to the Dr. now, the first thing they ask is if I've traveled out of the country in the last 21 days and I wonder why all the focus on Ebola.

2. dianetrotter profile image73
      dianetrotterposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Express10!  I almost chocked when I read this.

working