jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

What about poverty?

1. Leonardo Freire profile image60
    Leonardo Freireposted 3 years ago

What about poverty?

What do you think poverty is? Is it really what most people think it is?
    Explain your point of view!

2. C.V.Rajan profile image79
    C.V.Rajanposted 3 years ago

Lack of food, clothing and shelter is poverty -for oneself and dependents.
    Food - not enough, proper food for 3 square meals a day
    Clothing - inadequate to protect from heat and cold.
    Shelter - A place to call your own to lie down and keep your family and things safe. (Owned or rented).

Leonardo Freireposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree you do in a certain point, but I have another thing in mind.
      I'll post a hub about this soon, keep an eye on it !

3. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12020621_f260.jpg

Not having the minimum for a comfortable life.  It is constant economic struggle day to day.   It is living from hand to mouth.  It is not having access to nutritious food, health care, and housing.  It is always being on the outside looking in.  It is wearing shoddy, castoff clothing.  It is living at the most primitive existence.

It is your children not having access to quality education but only an inferior grade of education.  It is economic hopelessness, knowing that you WON'T do better because you are economically doomed from the start.  It is knowing that you will have LESS opportunity for success than more economic affluent people in a particular society. 

Poverty is really hell on earth.  You live a hellish life of constant want.  The odds are stacked against you in every way.  That is what religion appeals to those in poverty- it gives them a pipe dream that it will be better.......IN AFTERLIFE.  Poor people flock to religion because it is an escape from their economically dire & dismal life.

Poverty is knowing that you will not make any significant contributions because that requires education, money, & influence-the components that a poor child will never possess because in poverty, there are LITTLE to NO chance of escaping your economic fate.  Only a few escape poverty.  Poverty is really damnation of the worst order.  It is a blackness darker than the blackest black abysmal despair!

Leonardo Freireposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Excellent answer! I really agree with everything you said but I think you missed one point. Probaly it's just my weird point of view but I think it makes sense.
      Keep an eye on the hub I'll post soon and I'm waiting for you for a healthy debate!

working