jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

Is it right to give up creativity for money or better living?

1. Kratika profile image68
    Kratikaposted 2 years ago

Is it right to give up creativity for money or better living?

2. thranax profile image52
    thranaxposted 2 years ago

This question is a tough one to answer because so much can be riding on the choice you make.

Give Up Creativity for Money:
    -Looked at as a sellout.
    -Can provide shelter, food, and education for your loved ones.
    -Can enjoy all life has to offer for material possessions and experiences.

Keep Creativity:
    -Can struggle for food/shelter/education.
    -Can be taken to the grave and buried with you if not taken care of correctly,
    -Could die out over time with no help to innovate.
    -Can take greater pride in having something unique to yourself that you brought into this world.

Because you don't specifically have an object, idea, or concept in mind I had to answer as vaguely as possible.

Kratikaposted 2 years agoin reply to this

my question was a generic one... i just wanted to know the opinion of people out here that will they give up their creative minds for a 9 to 7 job or would go on struggling in their lives to achieve which is a unattainable(figuratively).

3. integrater profile image61
    integraterposted 2 years ago

It is a bit difficult to answer this question and it(answer) might fall in the grey area;neither right nor wrong . If your family depends on you or you want a better life and giving up creativity helps you to give them a decent life then some might do it , not all of them .
    There are many theatre artist who have a 9-5 job and do theatre as well . I am not an artist  but even artist need money to survive. There is always a middle path .

4. ChristinS profile image97
    ChristinSposted 2 years ago

What's "right" will vary person to person.  A person with a family they are responsible for may have to give up the "starving artists" life to do something more practical to provide for their family etc.  However, I think too many people get hung up on money or assume that only money leads to better living.  For some of us, it's our creative expression that brings meaning and joy to life.  No amount of money can replace that need to be creative.  As with anything, balance. 

I left the working world to make it on my own.   It was a sacrifice initially due to money, but ultimately led to a better balance in my life.  I am self-employed and able to pay my bills. I am home for my kids when they need me and overall much, much happier than I ever was in my management job.  I hated that job and it sucked the joy out of living and made me exhausted. 

The fear of taking the leap was what held me back, but ultimately I got to a place where i just couldn't do it anymore - I had to be who I am.  I started writing, designing, crafting etc. and was reborn. 

I also recognize everyone has different skills and abilities however and that will determine what is going to be the best choice for them.

5. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 2 years ago

For money, now without money you can't live a decent life at all. Nothing is for free, you can creativity for a better living if you are rich

6. profile image55
    readforinfoposted 2 years ago

no its not always right but not wrong too. in todays economy better living is of foremost importance and hard. so somtimes its better to choose the way that can offer you a good livelihood. no doubt we can manage to carry on with our creativity at later stage. i think so.....

7. M. T. Dremer profile image95
    M. T. Dremerposted 2 years ago

I've struggled with this same question for a very long time. In fact, right now, I'm battling a decision to get a better paying job (that isn't creative) or continue hemorrhaging money for the sake of my art. Ultimately, I think the job is going to win out.

The trouble with a creative profession is that it's agonizingly slow to get any sort of payout. Sure, people are impressed if you say you wrote a book, but that doesn't mean they're going to buy it or an agent is going to represent it. So it becomes the long haul, and in the meantime you're scrambling to make ends meet.

The only advice I can give is to take the money route first, then fight tooth-and-nail for your creativity. Even if you only have a few minutes every night to devote to your own projects, it's worth it. Wanting more money isn't a bad thing, but letting go of your creative passions is unforgivable.

i guess this is the answer i was searching for... thank you.

8. Evane profile image52
    Evaneposted 2 years ago

I think your question is very vague. Will you please rephrase this. Thank you.

Thank You very much for your suggestion but sorry I will not rephrase it. smile