jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

How do you interpret "might is right"?

1. m abdullah javed profile image77
    m abdullah javedposted 2 years ago

How do you interpret "might is right"?

2. Ericdierker profile image58
    Ericdierkerposted 2 years ago

I have always really liked this term. I think I must have been twenty years old before I heard someone say it and mean it in it's straightforward meaning. Before that it was always used as a derisive, sarcastic mockery of someone doing something stupid just because they were in power. I have taught the notion to all of my children, as I insist they understand what I am doing and want done rather than just doing it with blind obedience because I am their father.
    My favorite twisted use of this notion is with religionists in positions of authority. Can you imagine someone saying "God said this and you must believe me because I am the priest"?
    On the other hand we do often say that we have a mighty God. So maybe in that sense the straight meaning makes sense.
    I think I will always see it as a perfect example of stupidity in words.

m abdullah javedposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Perfect Eric, it must have been a wonderful experience for you to grow and make your children aware in view of its true notion,  about God it suits but in what sense do you see it as a perfect example of stupidity?

2. Ericdierker profile image58
      Ericdierkerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Stupid is that which is done without thinking. Might is Right is founded in the concept of not thinking and just following. "because I said so" is no thought at all and is stupid.

3. m abdullah javed profile image77

Exactly Eric. Thanks for the response.

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image31
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years ago

This is the same as to the victor goes the spoils.
    The rules are made by those in power, and what ever they say is right.
    If and when you ever get the power, you too can be right. Until then you are wrong.

You mean the power is might and the order of the masses set the things for the might to be right? Then in that case the might is that of the masses?

4. Say Yes To Life profile image81
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years ago

It means if someone can bully something out of someone else, or force his will on someone else, that automatically makes the bully right.  This type of victim-blaming mentality is rampant in ghettos.

Interesting Yoleen!

working