What are peoples thoughts of catholic school?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (13 posts)
  1. tgopfrich profile image78
    tgopfrichposted 2 years ago

What are peoples thoughts of catholic school?

I'm not religious, my husband believes in god and my son just started kindergarten and I enrolled him in Catholic school which to me is strange cuz there is a lot of religious stuff. I always thought that the best part of religion is the morals and a lot of religions have pretty much the same morals, more or less. I thought/think its a great idea for my son to be introduced to religion so one day he can make proper informed decision in whether to believe in god or not.

2. sparkleyfinger profile image91
    sparkleyfingerposted 2 years ago

I went to a catholic school here i the UK, and I would always advise against it. In the early years, in particular, I would just call it brainwashing. You go along with these things you have to do, like communion, confession and confirmation and never really question any of it until you are older.

There is also the scary side- ie sex ed, which basically consists of dont have sex unless you're married, then a video of a woman having an abortion to scare you off if the fiery pits of hell already haven't.

Overall, as a product of a catholic school, I despise all religion. And it isnt due to ignorance- I got qualifications in Christianity and Morals, as well as world religeons (basically a course on all different beliefs, squashed into one year) But my point is: I took part, and I learned what I was supposed to, and it never gave me any sort of spiritual desire or fulfillment. In fact, I now find god a laughable concept. Maybe it's because I can't believe the stories, maybe its because my spiritual leaders around me could never answer my questions with anything other than "its gods will"

I would let your child find god if they choose to, in their own time.

1. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Great answer, Spark!

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image81
    Kathleen Cochranposted 2 years ago

To each his own.  I would never tell a parent what is best for his/her child.  But I will say, if your motives are religious it is important to remember that Jesus called all believers to be salt and light in this world.  That goes for our children too.  He didn't call us to be protected and kept out of the fray.  We are to trust Him with everything - including our precious babies.

Best of luck.  Kindergarten?  It doesn't get any easier - sorry.

4. profile image54
    peter565posted 2 years ago

Sending your children to Catholic school is a bad idea.  (1) There are all these case of priest raping little boys, do you really think it is wise, to send your kids to a "Catholic school" my advice pull him out of the school before...well...I am not going to say it, but you know what I mean. (2) There are a few short documentary, I would like to share with you about the Catholic church.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlmgMmVgiZs  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr6aJd4Kz_4   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84O-g6riABY   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG-79oOsHm4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrRnXz6DgzU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3U2CETH8uM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwUZOZN-9dc
    My advice, get your kid out of that Catholic school ASAP

1. sparkleyfinger profile image91
      sparkleyfingerposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Just want to go on record as saying I never experienced any abuse throughout my 10+ years at a catholic school...

2. profile image54
      peter565posted 2 years agoin reply to this

ok

5. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/9074948_f260.jpg

Catholic school as all religious schools are outmoded.  They insulate children, creating a them vs us mentality.  Catholic schools also use fear and guilt in inculcating children in terms of spirituality.   They furthermore teach outdated mores which are no longer applicable in postmodern society.  They place an undue emphasis on religion and religious rituals over more important subjects.   Catholic/religious schools teaches blind conformity and obedience which creates children who do not question authority which is detrimental to create independent thinking children. 

I would strongly advise against Catholic, religious, and/or any other parochial school.  Non-sectarian private or good public schools are excellent for children to receive the education they need.  I feel that it is the parents' job to teach religion to their children.  Or better yet, let children learn about religion and/or spirituality on their own.  I feel that it is abusive to force religion on children.  Let them decide whether or not they want to be religious.  So much harm have been done to children in the name of "religion".   Sending children to religious schools are the worst things that parents can do for children-DON'T do it!

6. Say Yes To Life profile image81
    Say Yes To Lifeposted 2 years ago

I attended a Seventh Day Adventist high school; while that is not Catholic, it is Christian.  It saved my life.  Rape, drugs and violence were rampant in Oakland public schools, so I was extremely fortunate to be able to escape that.
    I think you'll find good schools and bad schools wherever you go, in any denomination or secular.  Just maintain LOTS of open communication with your child, so if anything wrong happens, you can deal with it.
    I personally would recommend a Christian school - but check it carefully first!

7. Kimberleyclarke profile image84
    Kimberleyclarkeposted 2 years ago

I was sent to a catholic school. I guess it was fine, I don't have any other school experience to compare it. However, I am now completely non-religious. As an adult, I've chosen to not go to church every Sunday, as was expected when I was a child. I'd go so far as to say it put me off for life! I'm now far more worldly, and my views on spirituality and kindness are wider than I feel my catholic education allowed.

It does that to one!

8. Faceless39 profile image94
    Faceless39posted 2 years ago

I've never met a Catholic school graduate who was not a risk taker; in essence, a partier of the most descriptive kind. They usually become atheists. Catholic school is so regimented that once kids are released, they seem to fly off the handle and go do everything that they weren't allowed to do before. You may have heard that preacher's kids are the most unruly kids out there, and it's for the very same reason. I don't think brainwashing from a young age gives kids an "informed decision" exactly. I think it gives them a blanket reference area with little room to grow. Hopefully your son will be an outlier.

What you have said is so true.  Went to Catholic school all through college. Now I am a New Ager.Left Catholicism, NEVER EVER to return.Really don't believe in any form of organized religion. Spiritual, yes; religious- HELL NO.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)