jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

What is the greatest work that a person can do?

1. RLWalker LM profile image76
    RLWalker LMposted 2 years ago

What is the greatest work that a person can do?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image64
    Tusitala Tomposted 2 years ago

My answer would be: To work on oneself to find greater understanding as to what that 'self' is.   For once the self is understood sufficiently, that person is then able to help others towards their own understanding of their selves.   

People who begin to move beyond Self-actualization (the move maximising knowledge) to Self-enlightenment (the move to self-understanding) are those who contribute most greatly to the sum-total-happiness of the world at large.  People like the late Mother Teresa, J, Kristna Murti, Yogananda, the Buddha, and Jesus of Nazareth fell into this last category...and look at the great work they have done.

3. janshares profile image95
    jansharesposted 2 years ago

I believe service to others is the greatest work we can do. We were meant to engage in service. But we must not over do it to the extent that we are not taking good care of ourselves.

RLWalker LMposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I like your answer. I think highly ambitious people are a little quick to miss or forget both the reward that service to others affords a person and the inherent value in it. Also I am of the opinion that we are innately social creatures above all.

4. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/8270462_f260.jpg

To use his/her utmost human potential to make himself/herself the best possible person h/she can be physically, emotionally, mentally, psychologically, socioeconomically, and spiritually.   To make his/her particular society and environment a better place for others.  To leave an overall positive in addition to a great economic legacy for his/her descendants.

RLWalker LMposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I really like your answer. I selected Tom Ware as best because I think self-realization might be a good way to go about achieving this and because I was surprised to find someone mention specifically self-realization.

2. janshares profile image95
      jansharesposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Love it!

3. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

@ RM & Janshares, thank you.  You two are part of the reason I LOVE HUBPAGES!

working