jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

If anyone at all "won" the Republican debate on 2/13/2016 (or not) name the top

1. Perspycacious profile image82
    Perspycaciousposted 2 years ago

If anyone at all "won" the Republican debate on 2/13/2016 (or not) name the top three in order.

My own impression:  Trump came across as having learned nothing, or even as not wanting to win the Republican nomination. Kasich came across as the winner, followed in a Rubio and Carson tie for third.  Cruz struck me as too much of a politician class "smoothie", Bush as still too weak for the office, and the squabbling left me wishing some of them could still challenge each other to a duel!

2. Austinstar profile image88
    Austinstarposted 2 years ago

Kasich, Kasich, and Kasich - he was the only one with a decent humanitarian composure. The rest of them are just back biting, hateful, sore loser, obstructionists.
    Meanwhile, I will be voting for Bernie Sanders - who really cares about our country and its citizens.

3. Ken Burgess profile image90
    Ken Burgessposted 2 years ago

Kasich played the role of 'neutral observer' sure he remained calm, stayed 'above the fray' but we are looking for a President that will be able to take a hit and use his wit to respond... Hillary will be ruthless, Hillary will lie, Hillary will pound away at any weakness not shored up... Kasich has yet to show anything to me other than he is a nice guy with sound thinking.

Trump came across like a toad, it was a damaging night for him, he didn't have to go on the attack against Bush, and his brother, especially for 9/11.  He weakened his position in that debate.

Rubio was the winner, where Bush's responses to Trump's rants were rather weak, Rubio's counters were well articulated and concise, he had the best comments of the night, and reversed much of the damage he had done to himself in NH... if he could come across a bit stronger and more confident it could go a long way to making him seem like the only logical chance the Reps have.

Cruz cruised along in neutral, neither gaining or losing ground in that debate.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image30
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years ago

Trump
    Trump
    Trump

The format of the debates is ridiculous as it leads to personal attacks. And this should be like the TV show Jeopardy. The time limits are too short, and the questions don't bring out the issues.

A better format would, especially where there are six or more candidates, would be to deal with one issue. That would require a weekly debate to go through the important issues.

Let the candidates get time to propose their solutions to the issue, so the issue should be an important one.

This would give the voters a chance to understand the position of each candidate on that single issue. The rest of the candidates can then try to discredit the worth of each of the candidates position.

Right now the debates are no more than sound bytes, as opposed to real discussions on the issues.

The media should follow that debates with a truth or consequence based on the information brought forward by the candidates. Fact verification of all the points that were brought up in the debate, and let the damage fall where it may.

Unfortunately this can't happen because the media appears to be biased, while the voters still need veracity from the debates.

working