jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

In Belgium, it is legal for a child to request euthanasia? But can children unde

1. savvydating profile image96
    savvydatingposted 23 months ago

In Belgium, it is legal for a child to request euthanasia? But can children understand consent?

In 2014, Belgium became the first country in the world to approve euthanasia for children (to include young children with disabilities) of all ages, and now Canada is putting forth legislation to do the same.  The law states that doctors must certify "the child fully understands the implications of the decision." Yet, in Belgium, 32% of deaths have NOT been requested by anyone, other than the doctor. Should a child be allowed to make this request? Can they truly understand what they are requesting or consenting to?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12922062_f260.jpg

2. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 23 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12684018_f260.jpg

Children(operationally defined as those who are of sound mind under the age of 18 and in some instance, those of sound mind under the age of 21) don't understand consent.  In fact, they are not legally able to exercise consent in many things, especially in terms of life and death decisions.   Euthanasia is a dangerous prospect for anyone, let alone a child.

savvydatingposted 23 months agoin reply to this

Great answer, Grace. I couldn't agree with you more. What is more disturbing is that these laws are targeting very, very young children. Thanks for your input.

2. gmwilliams profile image85
      gmwilliamsposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Thank you for selecting my answer, it is greatly appreciated in kind..

3. savvydating profile image96
      savvydatingposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Grace,
      Your answer showed respect for life. I appreciated your speaking in a frank manner. I found it very touching.

3. tamarawilhite profile image93
    tamarawilhiteposted 23 months ago

They are also killing infants with and without the parents' consent.

If you're going to have euthanasia on demand, it is insane to say someone who isn't allowed to get married or a credit card because they don't understand the implications can ask to die.

savvydatingposted 23 months agoin reply to this

My son said something similar, but regarding voting and drinking and why there are legal age limits for these activities. This whole thing is sickening. Just how far can a so-called civilized society decline? Quite far, apparently. Thanks, Tamara.

working