Why is it that with terrorism going on, people are so apt to point out the "crue

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 8 years ago

Why is it that with terrorism going on, people are so apt to point out the "cruelty" of Christians?

ISIS is a real threat.  But people tend to downplay this, by trying to prove that Christians are worse. People love to play the "Hitler was a Christian" card.  Anyone can call themselves a Christian.  However, I am willing to bet that attempting to wipe out an entire race of people is NOT what Jesus preached.  Some lone wolf goes on a killing spree at an abortion clinic and suddenly the whole of Christianity is negated. ISIS has bombed Brussels, Paris, a country in Africa, California in the past year, and the next attack is not an if, but a when.  Denial is NOT just a river in Egypt!

2. Annsalo profile image85
    Annsaloposted 8 years ago

Some lone Muslim goes on a killing spree and suddenly the whole of Muslims is negated.

ALL bibles tell their people to do bad things. ALL religions claim that anyone who misbehaves must not really be one of them.

The facts are there are terrorists of all religions, and while ISIS is an issue momentarily, it does not negate the amount of terrorism done by other religions including Christians.

ALL terrorists are bad, and yes many of them have been Christian, just as many have been Muslims. Would you rather us ignore all the other terrorists and only pay attention to ISIS? Do you really think they are the ONLY major threat?

1. profile image0
      LoliHeyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's not just one Muslim going on a killing spree.  ISIS is huge, and gaining converts everyday.  Right now, I know of no Christian extremist groups promising to take down America.  My point is that we will defend Islam, but demonize Christianity.

Annsaloposted 8 years agoin reply to this

It's not just 1 Christian who has been a murderer. In the USA most people are Christians and look at how many are in jail, murderers, rapists, etc. I'm not defending ISIS I'm defending Muslims who are being generalized because of the minority of them

3. IslandBites profile image92
      IslandBitesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agree 100%

4. jlpark profile image77
      jlparkposted 8 years agoin reply to this

ISIS is against the world, they are killing more Muslims than anyone else - yet it is not reported by world media, creating a "Muslims are against us" feel - Muslims in general r not against us. Pls stop generalising if you dont like it done to you,L

3. lovemychris profile image80
    lovemychrisposted 8 years ago

Perhaps the cruelty going on in Gaza for 68 yrs, which Christians rally for. Well, only certain Christians, I will say that. Any Christian who has been there is working to stop the carnage and cruely. A Christian sect in Africa is teaching that gays need to be killed. And 3 of our own candidates went to a rally with a pastor who advocates killing gays. Of course, Christians will be quick to point out that these are fringe fanatics or something. But they never give that same benefit to Islam. And just so you know, there are plenty of people who see ISIS as being run by  secret societies of the West. They are paid mercenaries, or fringe crazies from the muslim world. But they are working for and benefitting western powers. Religion has nothing to do with  it, except to conquer and divide.

1. jlpark profile image77

Exactly! "Fringe fanatics" if they're Christian, but "examples of Islam" if they are terrorists - not affording the same benefit to others they wish afforded to them.

4. jlpark profile image77
    jlparkposted 8 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12961066_f260.jpg

I'll answer the question first - but check out the stats in the pic.
    The mainstream media only report a handful of the attacks committed by ISIS, particularly the ones where they are in predominately white, christian or non-religious areas - Brussels, France, San Diego.  Yet, there have been more people killed in areas such as Yemen, Tunisia, Beirut, that have NEVER made the mainstream news. More MUSLIMS have been killed by ISIS than those who aren't Muslim (so Non-religious and Christian combined). I can agree with you that ISIS is a threat - so long as that is ISIS is, and not Muslims are - because ISIS is a threat to the world, Muslims are not.

I haven't seen anyone denounce the entire Christian population over the actions of the lone wolf at the abortion clinic - can you prove where this has been done? I've seen people say "see, there are some crazies in the Christians too", but I've not seen even atheists say "Christians are terrorists" - I've seen PLENTY of Christians (and others) say "Muslims are terrorists" based on the actions of ISIS, but never "Christians are terrorists". Most people understood that this man acted alone, and was a little unwell in the noggin department, and was not a good example of Christians.

So, are we seeing persecution where there isn't any? I've never seen Christianity as a whole negated over acts by Christians, yet I've seen plenty of Christians negate Islam based on ISIS. Extremists of any faith (or lack thereof) are dangerous, but NOT examples of all of their followers, MUCH like our despised historical figure - Hitler.

Again with the denial of Hitler being a Christian because he didn't act like you think he should have. You and your journey with YOUR God are the ONLY Christian you can judge as true or not. As previously discussed, + proven, he cites his Lord + Saviour in his speeches. Even if he acted in a way that you didn't like, doesn't make him NOT Christian. If it did, it would mean NO CHRISTIAN is a true Christian - because not one Christian (even the best ones) are completely Christ like. IT doesn't mean he is an example of Christians, just that he was 1

Much like Stalin, and Dahmer - their actions were not based on their atheism, they just happened to be atheists. We atheists despise the atrocities they committed, but I've never seen anyone deny they were atheists - particularly when presented with evidence. They are awful examples of Atheists, however.

Do you understand now?

1. jlpark profile image77

Gah...sorry, meant San Bernadino not San Diego (pic is also wrong on that..I forgot to mention it in answer - not my pic so I can't change it)

2. lions44 profile image89
      lions44posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Jacqui, Hitler denounced Christianity and essentially became a Pagan, worshiping German historical figures and other cults. Himmler followed suit. Both later used the Lutheran Church as the war turned against them for cover.

3. jlpark profile image77

He references his Lord + Saviour in several speeches, not something usually done by Pagans who don't worship the Xtian God. Can I see a link? Believ u, just like more info. My point is that it is not up 2 any1 2 say whether he was true Xtian or nt

5. aguasilver profile image73
    aguasilverposted 8 years ago

I think we have to recognise that there is a clear distinction between people who follow a faith with moderation and in keeping with their faith driven consciousness, and people who profess to be of a faith, but by their actions demonstrate that in fact they are either totally deceived in their beliefs, or held in deception to the enemy, who seeks to destroy and kill.

Without getting into the specifics of the two main religions of the world, Christianity and Islam, it's been my observation that most of their adherents are peaceable people who desire no more than we all do; to live their lives in peace and with sufficiency enough, to reasonably expect that they will be able to exist without external conflicts destroying their life.

But power corrupts, and when people rise to positions of power, normally attracted and empowered by great wealth and authority, most of those rising to that level will succumb to holding the power and ignoring the responsibility that goes with authority.

That is where the problems start.

I do not doubt that ISIS was formed by western intelligence agencies, as a way to disrupt the Islamic world, create fear in the western world, and legitimize the power elites desire to cause sufficient chaos to justify their warlike desires.

War is good for profits, and there are those in our world who seek profit at any cost to human life

There is an excellent video on YouTube dealing with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Qt6a- … mp;list=WL

Long, and presented from what I suspect is a communist sympathizer viewpoint, but it does expose what we are up against.

So in short form, we face an enemy, that enemy poses as whatever form will allow it to function, the enemies objective is to deceive, corrupt, enslave and murder people, and we all face it daily, and either empower the enemy, or fight against it.

We empower, for good or evil, with our words, thoughts, deeds and actions.

It's our choice what we empower and how we do that.

6. Link10103 profile image60
    Link10103posted 8 years ago

Why is it that whenever this topic is brought up and given a blatantly obvious specific answer, it gets completely ignored to then have someone ask a question like this to complain and play the victim...

US = predominantly Christian. Predominantly Christian = more influence on daily life. More influence on daily life = talked about more often. It really can't get any simplier than that, but the persecution complex will always prevail it seems...

The point isn't to say if one/a group of people are "true" Christians (hypocrite), the point is to say that their actions are easily backed by what they read in the Bible. Does that by default make Christianity 100% bad? Not particularly, but it sure aint unicorns and rainbows all the time either. Same applies for Islam or any other religion.

It's also funny that when questions like this get asked, it's completely ignored that the bulk of terrorists within the united States have been Christian extremists...but sure, let's totally ignore the fire in our backyard and focus on the fire on the other side of the planet. Can't afford  to hurt your feelings with logic or facts :'(, but surely we can afford to blow up brown people...

1. lovemychris profile image80
      lovemychrisposted 8 years agoin reply to this

And women who are "slaughtering babies", doctors, friends and family, simple workers in clinics. Women are being imprisoned for miscarriages now, thanks to Christians in power. That is terryfying! It's happening all over. 33 states are Republican.

2. profile image0

The fire on the other side of the planet?  I have news for you---it is in our backyard, they are only awaiting the command to ignite the match.

3. Link10103 profile image60
      Link10103posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I did neglect to mention that we're the ones who provided the kindling to begin with and still do with the "All Muslims are terrorists, so bomb em" mentality.

7. tamarawilhite profile image83
    tamarawilhiteposted 8 years ago

My hub on Dennis Prager's book "Still the Best Hope" goes into this in detail.
    But the summary is a world of the war views, liberal secular versus Judeo-Christian versus Islamo-fascist.
    Liberal secularists reflexively fear the Judeo-Christian as a potential Taliban/ISIS, while downplaying the role of Islam in ISIS/Taliban/Iranian/Saudi totalitarian regimes. And they ally with Muslims to attack the Judeo-Christian American side in any issue, saying look, we don't hate religion, after all, these monotheists (Muslims) side with us.
    They assume Muslims will moderate and side with them, not kill the atheists and secularists as they do from Indonesia to Pakistan to Saudi Arabia to ISIS territories.
    Instead, they look at Muslims as poor underdogs, ignoring Islam's role in keeping women out of the workforce and human development, discouraging science via pragmatism and fatalism, suppressing business because it sees trade as immoral to piracy where you actually have to face the man you're stealing from. Then they deliberately ignore the bad from female genital mutilation to forced marriages to the real rape culture (Rotherham rape scandal, for example), in an effort to romanticize what they think is an entire culture of victims.
    When someone can list dozens of terrorist attacks in the name of Islam every year but has to go back to the rare abortion clinic bombings for Christians or the Inquisition and Crusades, you have proof modern Christianity is nowhere as violent as modern Islam. But liberal secularists barring Hitchens, Ayan Hirsi Ali and sometimes Bill Maher ignore that fact because they hate Christianity more than the Islam they should fear.

1. profile image0

I think it is hatred against Christianity.  After reading the other answers to this question, it is clear that you are correct.

Annsaloposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hatred? That's silly Loli, we just refuse to act like Muslims are the only problem. Murder is murder and no one should single out entire religions, even Christians, because of the actions of SOME of that group.

3. jlpark profile image77

I don't hate anyone - I merely refuse to generalise any group over the actions of a handful of its extremists - which, Loli, is what u r accusing others of doing to Christianity, whilst doing exactly that to Islam.

8. junkseller profile image76
    junksellerposted 8 years ago

Most of the terrorism which has occurred over the past decade has been carried about by Christians. Just because YOU don't mind their sins doesn't mean the rest of us are equally complicit.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)