jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

What do you think of people who use GoFundme instead of getting a job?

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 24 months ago

What do you think of people who use GoFundme instead of getting a job?

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12965597_f260.jpg

2. lions44 profile image99
    lions44posted 24 months ago

That's a terrible slam on people who have those pages. Many are terminally ill and many pages are set up by their friends and family without them even knowing.  If you are undergoing radiation or chemotherapy, getting another job might not be an option. Or if you've been paralyzed in an auto accident, maybe people just want to help you.  There's nothing wrong with asking for help. They are not being "lazy."   I've seen these campaigns really bring people together. 
    We're all just one bad accident or diagnosis away from being broke.

3. lisavollrath profile image97
    lisavollrathposted 24 months ago

I'm thinking back on all the Go Fund Me campaigns I've supported, and not one of them was asking for funds in lieu of working.

I've supported people who have been hit with a devastating illness, to help with ongoing medical bills.

I've supported the family of a friend when they learned their new baby was going to have a birth defect that could be helped by in utero surgery.

I've supported a friend of a friend, whose child is transgender, to help send the kid to a more liberal school that was a better fit for him.

I've supported a Syrian refugee whose request to immigrate was stalled.

I've supported a school in a poor neighborhood.

None of these campaigns were started by people who were unemployed. They were just hit with bills that were out of their reach, and asked for help. I've been in that situation, and I got help through private donations from my readers---and, in my case, I wasn't unemployed, but I was also unable to pay a tidal wave of medical bills that came with having cancer. Those donations helped me stay afloat until I could get better.

But, even if there are people using Go Fund Me to avoid working: if they can raise the money, more power to them. It means they have a compelling story, or a supportive tribe. How people choose to give their money is none of my business, so if someone wants to support a friend, or a person with a good story to tell, why shouldn't they?

4. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 24 months ago

GoFundMe should be utilized for important things, like paying medical bills or fundraising, or helping others out.  It is pretty stupid and selfish to not work and have the nerve to ask others for money.  When Kanye West did that, I lost the little respect for him that I had.

5. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 24 months ago

They are modern day beggars, lazy and immoral.

6. LoisRyan13903 profile image81
    LoisRyan13903posted 24 months ago

I know people who use GoFundMe when they are in a financial bind.  As for me, I have not seen any campaign that is set up just so they do not have to work.-with the exception of ones who are unable to due to illness or disability.  But some of these campaigns may be disguised to resemble something else.  For example, a person who does not want to work claims that he is disabled.

working