jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Do you think Brexit was destined to happen?

1. CYong74 profile image95
    CYong74posted 21 months ago

Do you think Brexit was destined to happen?

It seems so to me, given they refused to join the Euro, join in travel railpasses schemes, etc. Things that would identify them as part of "Europe" as a whole.

2. Alessio Ganci profile image84
    Alessio Ganciposted 21 months ago

England always seemed to feel different than other countries, they have their history, their traditions, their way of driving, their pounds... their traditions are very proudly expressed, they are not only traditions... they always seemed to say "we are different". I think it was destined to happen.

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image27
    bradmasterOCcalposted 21 months ago

It was strange that they ever joined in the first place.
    They never really jumped in with both feet. They kept the pound, and they never went metric.

The Sun never set on the British Empire, and in the EU the Sun stopped shining. Scotland and Ireland have always been a problem for England. Let Scotland go. They are more trouble than they are worth.

1. CYong74 profile image95
      CYong74posted 21 months agoin reply to this

You are right to say that. Britain was never happy to be in the EU or EEC, and they made it known in every possible way. And so perhaps an exit was inevitable. Years of unhappy membership was just leading up to this dramatic divorce.

4. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 21 months ago

This was a 52-48 vote, not an absolute certainty as would have been a 70-30 split
    I do think the politicization of Jo Cox's murder by a nut who said Britain First by the "remain" campaign to smear conservative/exist voters did close the margin from the 45-55 it had previously been (if you ignore polls weighted heavier by younger voters).