jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

QUESTION: If every time there is a mass shooting in the USA and there is a mas

1. ptosis profile image74
    ptosisposted 21 months ago

QUESTION: If every time  there is a mass shooting in the USA  and there is a mass calling to ban

guns from civilian, then how come there is not a mass calling of taking the guns away from police when they shoot to kill illegally? Since the  counting of death by cops ended 15 years ago  I wonder if cop murder happens more car fatalities, heart attack and cancer put together.  Blane Salamoni, a 4-year veteran, and Howie Lake, a 3-year veteran, which one the gun muzzle 2 inches from the back of the neck of Alton Sterling and shot several times are most likley going to get away with murder.  (again and again as always)

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13091125_f260.jpg

2. PhoenixV profile image69
    PhoenixVposted 21 months ago

Same thing with military. I believe for every enemy combatant killed, 10 innocent bystanders are killed. They have killed hundreds of millions using atomic bombs, gas, tanks, missiles, holocausts, purges, you name it. Then people clamour to put those people in charge of dictating what guns civilians can have. Its like Charlie Manson wanting to take away our butter knives for our safety. Its stupidity of epic proportions.

3. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 21 months ago

Nothing will change until people change.  It all started when the first cave man thought he'd pick up a bigger club than the other caveman who only had a stick.   The whole arms race world-wide is based on the same concept.   If I have more power than you I'll have less to fear.

Doesn't take away the fear though.  For you know the other guy is looking not only to catch up but get ahead of you.

Whole thing stems from fear of not getting what you want or losing what you've got.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image31
    bradmasterOCcalposted 21 months ago

Once again government investigations are not done to uncover the truth, just to give the illusion that the government goal is to find the truth.
    I am sure that the veracity of government investigations are inversely proportional to the guilt of the government involved in the investigation. The more guilty or complicit that the government is involved the less truthful the result of the investigation.

Maybe body cams and black boxes may be more truthful.
    It would be interesting to research government investigations and see how many of them actually uncovered the truth.

1. ptosis profile image74
      ptosisposted 21 months agoin reply to this

Incident mentioned in Q - both had cams but were 'disengaged' and 'dangling' in the struggle. Mighty convenient.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image31
      bradmasterOCcalposted 21 months agoin reply to this

ptosis
      Now, you would expect the body cam to be field tested to make sure it could handle struggles and contacts. Now it looks like the missing 17 minutes of the Nixon tapes. But that is what finally took him down.

5. ptosis profile image74
    ptosisposted 21 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13092476_f260.jpg

Arrest-Related Deaths (ARD)
    Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS)
    BJS conducted an assessment of the validity and reliability of the ARD data. Results of the assessment indicate the ARD program methodology did not sufficiently identify a census of arrest-related deaths and that the data collection likely did not capture all reportable deaths in the process of arrest. Therefore, BJS determined that the ARD data did not meet BJS data quality standards, and in March 2014, BJS suspended data collection and publication of the ARD data until further notice.

"It's scary — with so much technology and money — that the government can't even collect the data on how many people its police are killing every year." - Tory Russell,

"2015 is actually the safest year for police officers in 20 years. Meanwhile, police killings of citizens are at a 40-year high" - James Woods | September 7, 2015

776 People Killed By Police So Far in 2015, 161 Of Them Unarmed
    But, just 25 police officers have died from firearms-related violence in the same period. Mint Press News Desk | September 1, 2015

The Counted, which tracked US killings by police and other law enforcement agencies in 2015, and counted 1140 killed. TheGuardian dB is @ https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ser … e-killings & http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng-i … s-database

"According to the Washington Post, in Britain, Iceland, Ireland, New Zealand and Norway, most police tend not to carry firearms at all while on duty. German police are extensively trained to understand that drawing and firing their weapons is a very serious matter of last resort.

On the other hand, an Amnesty International analysis found laws regulating when and why police are allowed to kill someone in each of the 50 U.S. states fall far short of international standards. In a statement on Amnesty's website, executive director Steven W. Hawkins said, "The fact that absolutely no U.S. state laws conform to this standard is deeply disturbing and raises serious human rights concerns. Reform is needed and it is needed immediately. ... According to Vocativ, at current rates, U.S. police are on track to shoot dead more people per capita than the combined gun homicide rates of 19 out of 34 member countries of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, a group which encompasses most of the world's richest countries."  - Tom McKay July 13, 2015

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image31
      bradmasterOCcalposted 21 months agoin reply to this

ptosis I agree with your comment, I also think that the police are trained on a hit&miss training. It seems clear in many of these cases that the police weren't trained well for these street incidents. Many of them starting out benign ending dead

working