Do you think Justice Ruth Bader should resign?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image80
    jackclee lmposted 7 years ago

Do you think Justice Ruth Bader should resign?

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg calls Trump a 'faker,' and injected herself into the Presidential race. Is this proper behavior for a Supreme Court Justice?
    She was nominated and appointed to the court by President Bill Clinton.

2. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 7 years ago

Yes, she should totally throw out all her years of dedicated service because she dared to have a personal opinion unrelated to a court case.  Are you actually serious?

jackclee lmposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I am serious. As a judge, she is suppose to be impartial. She can have an opinion but it should be private. I hope you see the difference. I would say the same if it was any other justice. She should know better.

2. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60
      Dont Taze Me Broposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It's not the first time for her revealing she is not an impartial Justice.. I think her age is showing.

3. jackclee lm profile image80
  3. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60
    Dont Taze Me Broposted 7 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13101174_f260.jpg

Well you know what Bill Clinton would do. We have George H. W. Bush to thank for Ginsburg's appointment! Had he been a true conservative like Reagan he'd have won re-election and we never would have had to suffer Clinton, his wife and his appointments. The whole world would be a better place. I blame that Bush.

Haha, I haven't heard that one for a while, it's Bush's fault...
      But seriously, I think Supreme Court justices should be term limited. I don't want important decisions being made by people who are too old and may not have all their faculties in plac

2. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60

Considering that when the constitution gave them terms for life the average life span was 35 years I doubt the writers of the constitution dreamed any justice would ever live to be in their 70s (average life span today is 78.7) or older.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
    bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years ago

Definitely she should resign. The whole concept of the SCOTUS is for the jurists to be impartial in making their decisions. When Trump becomes president, Justice Ginsburg either needs to resign or recuse herself off of an decision that may involve the executive office or President Trump.

To have a personal opinion even if you are a SC justice is OK, but to voice it in public during an election is against any value of having a SC.
    This is a perfect revelation that the Supreme Court has been making their recent or even earlier decision based on their political leaning.

Because SC justices have a lifetime office, there should be some sort of competency testing when at advanced ages like most of the court indicate problems. A SC justice that doesn't know the difference between the constitution and the impartiality of the SC needs to step down.

She is acting more like a Queen than a SC justice. And we don't support royalty in the US constitution. If she was a mere judge in any court, she would have been sanctioned for her bias. Because the SC has jurisdiction over most everything, her statements about a presidential candidate are the same as if she was hearing any case involving Donald Trump.

The SC should not be above Ethics, and neither should SC justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg

5. tamarawilhite profile image86
    tamarawilhiteposted 7 years ago

Yes, because the court is supposed to maintain an image of neutrality and she came clearly down on one side.

6. profile image0
    savvydatingposted 7 years ago

A judge is required to be impartial. I cannot imagine what Justice Bader was thinking. Very strange that she should break the rules of propriety. But the good news is that she actually did Trump a favor. Now many people realize quite clearly that Hillary would appoint another Justice who thinks like Bader-Ginsburg---someone who absolutely cannot be impartial. This may help those who are on the fence about voting for Trump. As you know, I'm no fan of Trump, but the question for me at this juncture is, "Do I really want important Supreme Court decisions to be decided by the likes of Bader Ginsburg? The answer is simple. No way. Consequently, if I refuse to vote for Trump, then I've basically given my vote for Hillary. I'm not there yet, but Justice Bader-Ginsburg has brought me closer.

1. Dont Taze Me Bro profile image60

Savvy,can't imagine what she was thinking?The Trumpster is right:Ruth Bader Ginsburg's 'mind is shot' because she was brain damaged by chemotherapy in 2009 http://www.naturalnews.com/054650_Ruth_ … Trump.html

7. WordCrafter09 profile image65
    WordCrafter09posted 7 years ago

There's a difference between having an opinion and having an agenda (personal, professional, political, and/or emotional).   Someone who is mature and capable and has the integrity required for that kind of position can have an opinion and still step outside of it when doing that is important.  So, opinion, by itself, is different from "opinion-plus-any/all-of-the-other-things-mentioned".

Not everyone has the either/or thinking that is, I think, most commonly seen in people who grew up without having a parent/other solid adult help them "polish up"/refine the thinking skills that are generally associated with the kind of socialization that happens as kids' worlds get bigger (but before they hit  eighteen or so and go out into the world to be influenced by a bunch of of other kids their age).

If people haven't learned not to be blockheads with either/or thinking by then then they'll probably either never learn, or else they'll eventually learn a little bit as the life unfolds and teaches them to adjust their thinking.

When something or someone is so important (or important to you) that you are appropriately committed/dedicated to doing the very best job you can possibly do you know how to step yourself and/or your ego and/or anything else you, personally, have going on that's about you.

To me, unless there's some law/rule that says someone in her position is not allowed to ever offer a "personal take on a matter"  (particularly a very public matter that is separate from any "court doings/case") I don't see the "personal-take" thing as reason to resign.  If there's some rule/law about it, then that's another thing; but I can't imagine she isn't familiar with such a rule/law at this stage in the game.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image51
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I disagree on all your points

2. jackclee lm profile image80

Me whelan, you are miss guided on this topic. If we have to have a law for every action, there will be no room for anything else. It is common sense and part of judgement when you are in a position of power to show restraint.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)