Black lives matter vs. All Lives Matter?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. mahsa setareh profile image67
    mahsa setarehposted 7 years ago

Black lives matter vs. All Lives Matter?

Let's discuss this topic of what is it about the #ALLLIVESMATTER vs #BlackLivesMatter... Honestly is there a difference as to who's life matters? Why is it that we just distinguish one race and say that there lives matter...of course it does but why can't we just come to terms and say that every single person's life matters no matter who they are..

2. Jean Bakula profile image92
    Jean Bakulaposted 7 years ago

I agree with you. All Lives Matter.

But that doesn't address the numerous times in the last few years that black teens have been shot and killed by police for very petty crimes, or even for having a tail light out, or reaching in their glove compartments for their licence and registration. If a cop feels "in fear of his life" in any of those situations, there needs to be a new battery of psychological testing done before he or she is allowed to be part of a police force.

And we have to stop saying, "We need to have a conversation about race in this country." We don't need conversation, we have to get rid of racist cops and come together as communities and learn to understand we are all the same, that color doesn't matter.. Until that happens, it will continue to be divisive. I don't have much hope, the Civil Rights Act was passed in 1965 and was supposed to change the relationships between black and white people. It takes about 100 years for Americans to embrace change, and often only when forced to.

1. profile image0
      Copper Manposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Great response. You should write a Hub about it. In my opinion, there is no "vs" about the question as to whose lives matter most.

3. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 7 years ago

Of course all lives matter.  The problem is that All Lives Matter has become a direct response to Black Lives Matter which in turn kind of cheapens the movement. 

It's sort of like going to a fundraiser for cancer with survivors and people who have lost loved ones to cancer and saying "God I hate cancer, it's so unfair.  Heart disease and diabetes are unfair too, though.  Let's not forget!"  Focusing on one disease doesn't negate the importance of all the others but hijacking a movement to point it out kind of negates the importance of that particular movement. 

BLM isn't trying to say that black lives are MORE important than anyone else's.  It was started because they doubted that their lives were valued AS MUCH as anyone else's.

The theory behind All Lives Matter is fine.  It's great.  We all have equal value regardless of our race.  But when you view it as a response to BLM and in the current social context, it's not appropriate.

1. grand old lady profile image84
      grand old ladyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Very well said)

4. Marcelo Faria profile image69
    Marcelo Fariaposted 7 years ago

To me, the biggest problem with movements such as Black Lives Matter is that, instead of fighting racism, it ends up stimulating it.

I don't have the actual statistics, but I would guess that a cop killing a man because of his race is not a very common event. One thing that I have recently read is that black men were killed 40 times more by other black men than by police officers. Considering these facts, it is natural to appear a response as All Lives Matter.

One day I was watching a Morgan Freeman interview. He was asked about  how to get rid of racism. His answer was simply: "stop talking about it". That is what I believe in. No one is born a racist. If nobody talks about it, maybe it will stop in the next generation.

5. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 7 years ago

I saw a similar explanation posted elsewhere, and it made sense to me:

I walk into a family dinner, where everyone is already eating. I can't reach any of the serving platters, so I say "I'd like some food". My family members turn to me and say, "we'd all like some food", and continue eating. While both "I'd like some food" and "we'd all like some food" are both true, I still don't have any food, and the second statement ignores that, doing nothing to rectify the fact that I have no food.

Yes, all lives matter, but when I see #BlackLivesMatter, I read "black lives don't seem to matter", not "black lives are the ONLY lives that matter". Saying "all lives matter" doesn't solve the fact that the folks saying "black lives matter" feel that in our society, their lives don't seem to matter as much as everyone else's.

Instead of making their pain all about you, by correcting #BlackLivesMatter to #AllLivesMatter, how 'bout acknowledging their statement? Black lives DO matter, and it's not right that anyone feels as if they don't. What can we do to move everyone towards the feeling that all lives matter equally? Because right now, all lives may matter, but some of them appear to matter a little less than others.

6. LoisRyan13903 profile image62
    LoisRyan13903posted 7 years ago

I tried posting a video link but it didn't work.  Will try to find it on youtube but the video was a good one

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)