Why are some people angered by Trump's promise to build a wall on the southern b

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Hawaiian Scribe profile image94
    Hawaiian Scribeposted 7 years ago

Why are some people angered by Trump's promise to build a wall on the southern border?

Donald Trump has promised to build a wall on the southern border with Mexico. About a third of the world's countries have a fence or wall on their border - 4 times as many as when the Berlin wall came down. Most people have a fence around their backyard at home. This question seeks to understand why some see a border wall as bad. The union representing border patrol agents has endorsed Trump.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13134325_f260.jpg

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

Border walls are costly to maintain and monitor, but not so effective. Mexican drug cartels have been digging tunnels under the border for a long time.

There is no wall or whatnot ever which can prove to be much more than a failure. Also, it is sort of insulting to Mexicans and Mexican Americans.

But mostly people just don't like Donald Trump.

Myself, I don't like Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton, or in fact - many politicians at all. I think they're all pretty horror-show, just bad examples of humans. Walls are also big ugly symbols themselves. Monuments of passive aggression or pure oppression.

1. ptosis profile image68
      ptosisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Even Trump said  "well, they can use a ladder..."

2. Hawaiian Scribe profile image94
      Hawaiian Scribeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your reply. I think it's interesting when you say that most people just don't like Donald Trump. I wonder what would happen if Obama or Clinton had wanted to build a wall, whether the opinions would be different politically.

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image50
      bradmasterOCcalposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Why do people lock their doors, why do they get burglar alarms? The fact is that without a wall, anyone can cross into the US. Mexico doesn't allow free entry on their S border, but they want us to leave our S border open???

4. Yossarian22 profile image60
      Yossarian22posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Trump makes so many empty and impossible promises that they are the reason that people don't like Trump. He is a B.S. artist - the best one ever. Would you buy a seat in Trump U? get in line to sue him for money he owes you? Why r u buying the wall?

5. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Yossarian
      Your last comment was just a rant on Trump, it didn't answer the comment I posed.

3. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 7 years ago

Why stop there? Let's build a wall around the entire country, even along the coastlines. Of course, we won't be able to see the ocean or play on the beaches, but it would we worth it to keep out all of those poor Mexican families. Do I sound like a Trump fanatic? LOL!  I don't know how we could do it without using migrant workers though. Otherwise it would be far to expensive. smile

1. ptosis profile image68
      ptosisposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I would go for the electronic sensor fence myself with aerostats.

Thanks for your reply. I haven't heard any dollar amounts for the cost of a wall, & Trump hasn't said how much of the border the wall would cover. I do find it interesting that most people want their personal space fenced off but not the country'

3. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Randy
      I hate to tell you what you sound like.

4. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Brad....It's probably good that U "hate to tell Randy what he sounds like." He has every right 2 speak his mind just as anyone, w/o being harassed. More importantly, Randy is his own man & not moved by what someone else thinks of his opinion.

5. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Paula
      Apparently Randy can't answer for himself.

6. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Go ahead and tell me what I sound like Brad, even though you hate to. I'll merely consider the source as always. tongue

7. fpherj48 profile image60
      fpherj48posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Brad....I certainly wasn't answering FOR Randy......just suggesting to you why it's a good idea not to say what you were thinking.  Sorry. I won't make that mistake again.  Silly me.

4. Yossarian22 profile image60
    Yossarian22posted 7 years ago

Where did that photo come from? Is that the border wall/fence between the USA and Mexico? I believe it is! I looked it up. That photo is from Wikimedia Commons and it is a photo of an ALREADY EXISTING fence/wall on the US/Mexico border!
    Now, why does Donald Trump want to build ANOTHER one?
    He should just stick his name on the one we already have and then he can proclaim himself King of the USA.
    This is why I am angry over his proposed border wall.
    Donal Trump doesn't have a clue about how to deal with border security.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Yossarian
      You didn't look up far enough, the wall is not complete across the border.

Thank you for your input, Yossarian. You are correct that the photo is a fence on the southern border, but one of the issues has always been that the border is unfenced for over 1,000 miles.

3. Yossarian22 profile image60

I dare you to take a trip down to those "1,000" miles. People die trying to cross in that god forsaken part of the country. No water, no roads, no food, just rattlesnakes, coyotes, and unfriendly territory.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image50

Yossarian
      The drug cartel has no problem getting across the border with their illegal drugs, guns, and human trafficking. They get over $1 billion dollars in drugs into the US every year. The wall isn't about illegal aliens, it is drugs, terrorists

5. Yossarian22 profile image60

Exactly why this fanatical 'wall' idea WILL NOT WORK! The war on drugs is a totally different issue and the cartels are well equipped to go over, under, around, or through any wall they encounter.

5. fpherj48 profile image60
    fpherj48posted 7 years ago

Stephanie.....Well, let's see now....someone from the exquisite State of Hawaii, surrounded of course by water, has very little concern for walls I'm sure.  What I wouldn't give to be able to live in Hawaii! (I was there in the late '60's)
    Some are all for a "wall," some are not.  I won't comment on my own thoughts because actually Stephanie, what any of us think about a wall has no effect on whether or not one will ever be built.  I choose my battles wisely.
    The fact is no wall will be built, despite who the next POTUS is.  The latest talk about cost is in the billions of dollars, first of all.  2nd, there would be FAR too much opposition and Trump is only one man, even though he thinks he's a fruggan super hero who can perform miracles.
    Also, at the end of the day, a wall, no matter how big, strong or long.....will not succeed in keeping people out....not all of them and not for long.....

Thank you for your comments Paula. Oceans don't keep illegals out. We have our fair share in Hawaii. We have open borders since US statehood & are overloaded with mainland homeless & invasive species ruining our agriculture.  Don't know a sol

6. Old-Empresario profile image70
    Old-Empresarioposted 7 years ago

If I shut off the media noise around me, I don't hear any ordinary people complaining about it. It's odd that this is in any way controversial.

I agree Old-Empresario. That's why I asked the question - where is all the anger coming from? Is a lot of it being media driven and therefore, driven by the Democrats? I also think the manner in which Trump talks turns some people off too.

7. twilightblueam profile image61
    twilightblueamposted 7 years ago

Why are people angry? They're taking it personally. They're looking at the act as offensive, or racist, most already having a major bias against Trump for being a 'wealthy white man' (perhaps the most discriminated stereotype out there if I'm honest). People are worried about the families that come here hopeful, preferring to risk the country further being ruined by those that come here with ill-intentions because /some are good/.

A wall is a statement. Being respected doesn't mean you're going to be liked, but if you really look at where 'being nice' (or incredibly stupid, IMO) and being respectable got our country so far, you'd probably vote for a wall too.

No one worries about America because we're either laughed at, or over privileged and sympathize with territories outside of our country from the safety of our living rooms. Whether or not a politician follows through with their promises is, sadly, hardly in our control - but one that advocates for respect instead of further taking in more than we can handle (we can't even handle our own cities?) is, at the least, the conceptual thought to consider.

Also, China built a great wall and it became a beloved tourist attraction, lol, how is this bad?

Thanks for your input Rae. I agree that this "wall thing" has become a personal issue for many. Trump is a disrupter. I don't know whether he'll get elected, but he is causing us to question the status quo. I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)