Are educated people of color acting white?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (24 posts)
  1. Mike Wyn profile image88
    Mike Wynposted 2 years ago

Are educated people of color acting white?

As a teacher, too often when I encountered students of color who pursued academic excellence, they were accused of thinking that they were white. Which got me thinking, "What is the color of education?" Does the caucasian race have a monopoly on educated people?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13168618_f260.jpg

2. gmwilliams profile image81
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/8260593_f260.jpg

There is no such thing as acting Caucasian because one elects to be educated, ambitious, successful, & speak/act properly.    That hyperbole is propagated by uneducated, lower income Blacks who contend that to be so-called Black is to be as ignorant & thuggish as possible.   This hyperbolic conjecture is the apex of ignorance. This hyperbolic project Black people in the most abject, negative way.

Caucasians never had a monopoly on being educated & intelligent.  That is another hyperbole.   Africans began civilizations, they invented concepts of mathematics & science.  They also instituted philosophies which other civilizations copied & borrowed.  The Moors who conquered Spain & other parts of southern Europe came from Africa & some were Black were the ones who imparted advanced systems of knowledge to Europe.   So becoming educated, intelligent, & aspiring to success is a measure of an evolved human being, regardless of race.

1. FitnezzJim profile image83
      FitnezzJimposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I like the way you said it better than the way I said it.

2. gmwilliams profile image81
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Why THANK YOU.....

3. Mike Wyn profile image88
      Mike Wynposted 2 years agoin reply to this

You hit the nail on the head with an atomic bomb (excuse the hyperbole). I asked the provocative "monopoly" question to illustrate the absurd nature of the charge. Intelligence is the color of water which is no color at all. It transcends race.

4. Glenis Rix profile image98
      Glenis Rixposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Well made points well said.
      Education is the key to release people from poverty and ignorance -black, white, or ginger pink with blue spots! When will people stop attempting to stereotype people on the basis of colour, creed and culture?

3. FitnezzJim profile image83
    FitnezzJimposted 2 years ago

In my experience, educated people act educated.
    Color is not a factor.

4. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 2 years ago

To say that getting high grades or seeking higher education is only for whites is racist, or else it is the ultimate bigotry of low expectations that blacks pull down other blacks for trying to rise up in society on merit.
    But blacks tearing down and physically attacking other blacks for academic interests and excellence cannot be blamed on whites - and it can only be fixed by black parents beating the crap out of any black kid who beats another black kid for trying to do better.
    If you have widespread problems of blacks saying they cannot and should not try to be more than poor, underemployed, and all other negative life consequences that come with that, there are too many people who would rather hurt their community as a whole as well as hurt the best in the lot than give up the ability to blame whitie for everything.

1. gmwilliams profile image81
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I remember in my elementary school in a Black area, children who were smart weren't liked but the dumb ones were. I was the smart student & besides that, I was a teacher's pet. There are some Black people who have the ghetto mentality-INVERSE log

5. profile image53
    peter565posted 2 years ago

Na, this is the product of racial centralism culture.

Human are pack animals, and when a pack of human settle on a nation is call a tribe. A nation that contains many tribes, but one tribe rule supreme over others, is call an Empire, if a nation is a tribe rule by its own people or many tribes coming together to form a federation, if it is a dictatorship system, it is call a Kingdom, if it is a democratic system, it is call a Republic.

However, some people identify this pack idea, base not on ur pack, but on other things, such as ur race, religion, culture or heritage.

Western traditional value believe in racial centralism, which identify those of same race as ur own in pack sense and other race, to be others, regardless of circumstances, Middle East frequently is religion centralism, which is why, we see situation such as Sunni and Shai killing each other.

Modern western value have already abandon the flaw ideas of racial centralism, sense of who is ur people in a pack sense, have return to who is actually ur pack, rather then who is ur own race.

But many people forgot racial centralism is man made, it is not nature, this has especially become the case, amount the blacks. In response to white racist who believe in racial centralism and treat their own fellow Americans as the enemy, because of their difference in race, many blacks, felt such race relationship really exist.

This is also a problem that exist in South Africa, until Nelson Medulla became President, what is the greatest thing about Medulla is not the fact he liberated the blacks, from an oppressive government, but he was able to break down the race separation issue, created by the original white supremacist party government, that construct a race base us vs them relationship and turn South Africans into 2 enemy camps, of white vs blacks. (During that era, black and white are not even allow to use same public toilet.) Medulla, was able to break that down and reunited a nation separated by race.

As a teacher, u need to remind student an us and them relationship base on race, is constructed by man and only exist if people believe in it, it is simply unnature.

Thanks. People love the pack mentality and feel more comfortable in it due to the similar ideas individuals have in common with the group. As you said, this is a man-made structure that deserves man-made challenges against untrue beliefs.

2. profile image53
      peter565posted 2 years agoin reply to this

smile Well, good luck getting through to ur students now smile

6. wingedcentaur profile image83
    wingedcentaurposted 2 years ago

Hi Michael Wnek! How's it going?

First of all, I would imagine that very few people want to be anything other than what they are.

Secondly, as a teacher, you know better than most of us, here on Hub Pages, that the way one acts has much to do with where, around whom, and how one is raised.

You are showing a picture of "Carlton" from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. The young man, as a character, was largely brought up in an upscale neighborhood that, because of the real way race and class overlap and interact in the United States, as you well know---is populated, predominantly by the "white" racial class, a sector of it that happens to be very well off.

"Carlton's" father is a senior judge and his mother has upscale employment (or runs her own business, or something). This is a family that has a lot of money and has chosen to live in a neighborhood as "nice" as they can afford.

"Carlton" has two sisters, as I recall. Remember that people are individuals, we see behavior from the individual of "Carlton," based on the way his environment has interacted with his innate characteristics. Raised under different circumstances, in another sort of environment, his innate characteristics would combine with his environment to produce another sort of behavior.

The Fresh Prince is, of course, a comedy (sitcom); and so "Carlton" may be exaggerated for comedic effect. Who knows?

And besides, are there no "white" people who "act" "black"?

1. wingedcentaur profile image83
      wingedcentaurposted 2 years agoin reply to this

I'm afraid your comment about your own upbringing only confirms my point. Your innate characteristics of wanting inclusion combined with your predominantly "black" neighborhood, produced in you, a certain kind of behavior, "ie music girlfriend etc."

2. Mike Wyn profile image88

I deleted my other comment due to my lack of reading comprehension ability of your comment. I read  your rhetorical question as a sentence. There are no whites who act black  . There is little doubt that you are right. because I see it everyday.

7. Glenis Rix profile image98
    Glenis Rixposted 2 years ago

We are all the same colour under the skin - red blood. What does acting white mean? I don't understand the question. But then I live in the UK. Seems we have different values and standards.

8. fpherj48 profile image78
    fpherj48posted 2 years ago

Michael,  I must say I was relieved to see your comment below the Question.  Otherwise, my 1st response was to ask, "Just exactly how does one "act white?"  Since you cleared this up, I do understand what you refer to and it's rather ludicrous that this is the case in some communities and schools.  In fact, I have witnessed this occur, mainly in the inner cities, with people both black and white, accusing each other of trying to act the opposite color. 
    I guess you have to be in the generation that started this or perhaps live in these communities to understand where they're coming from.
    We can see that it's rather foolish, but they're obviously quite serious.  As a teacher, I can imagine you have experienced this up close and personal. 
    Of course no one race has a monopoly on education or a higher degree of educated people.  This may have been the case many decades ago but in 2016, education is widely available for anyone who chooses to pursue it. 
    It's certainly become more and more apparent that here in America, sincere effort has been put forth and continues to improve as we realize it's up to us to completely erase any dividing lines that may still exist between one race from any others.  We are an enormous mixture of colors of people.  But one race.....the human race.

9. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
    bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/12695751_f260.jpg

Mike

The Asians are far more adept in education than the Caucasians. That is why so many of them are here on H1B visas,as the US has a shortage of their technical skills.

The Asians including India and Pakistan are taught and even pressured to do well in school. All others really just endure school, and the schools have been trying to lower the bar on education standards to make the non Asians not look so dumb.

During the beginning of the last century, this was the case for the Jewish Americans, to be a doctor or lawyer, or successful business person.

In my opinion, the top universities in the US don't create smart well educated people, instead they only accept those that are already brilliant.
    Of course diversity imposed upon them does create the exception while lowering the bar.

There are very few pure blacks in the US today because of the interracial marriages producing mixed race babies. Even pres Obama is only Half Black? One could argue which half made him successful?

Again, delete if I went out of bounds.

You missed the point. Education is the color of water. It is crystal clear that anyone, regardless of race, can achieve academic excellence. Booker T. Washington lived during the sinful slave era and wrote a dynamic autobiography that demonstrates it

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Michael
      You missed the point you are stuck in the past, look at today? What has color got to do with education? Please delete my comments, it was a total waste of my time. Thanks

3. FitnezzJim profile image83
      FitnezzJimposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Booker T. Washington was born 1856.  Slavery ended in 1863, when he was seven years old.  The message got through a couple of years later, at the end of the war.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Michael
      It is not relevant today,
      "What is the color of education?"
      --Color is green for money
      Does the caucasian race have a monopoly on educated people?
      -- The Asian not the Caucasians have top slot of educated people.

10. DionesiaP profile image60
    DionesiaPposted 2 years ago

I don't think this has anything to do with being white or black. As someone stated, an educated person acts educated. And as another one stated the notion of education is not based on color and nor did white people create it. People were educated before they even knew about their existence.

This type of thinking always has me thinking as well.

You're right! Even in times of great oppression, people have gone to extreme lengths to attain an educated status. I asked the monopoly question to illustrate the absurd nature of the underlying belief. Thanks for the contribution to the discussion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)