jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Have you let politics get in the way of friendship?

1. aasl profile image79
    aaslposted 16 months ago

Have you let politics get in the way of friendship?

2. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 16 months ago

To be honest, "Yes".  I know which way some of my friends are leaning and my feelings about them have lessened.  I have always known their politics and have tried to be open and understanding. But this election is different - it feels too important for me to mentally exuse their beliefs any longer.  I have a need to maintain my internal integrity, if not my external integrity.  I am cordial and friendly, but I avoid being around them as often as I can.  I have a choice of moving to a different location in our complex and I'm seriously looking into that possibility  It's too emotionally draining for me to cotinue to try understand their point of view anymore.  I'm exhausted.

3. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 16 months ago

I have friends with whom I'm not in ideological agreement. If we can ignore that matter or discuss it civilly, and focus on the things we have in common, yes, I can be friends.
    What offends me is the Democratic Party telling people "go talk politics with your parents, lecture everyone over the holiday meal" or interjecting politics into everything (NFL players kneeling, gay pride and black power at the last Superbowl) so that EVERYTHING is infected with politics.
    I understand the left doesn't want to miss an opportunity to evangelize and deliberately tries to interfere in gatherings and events where other views are heard - but it interferes with the rights of those who disagree.
    It also makes it hard to enjoy activities without the in your face political evangelizing by the left, whether it is a scifi convention where they call everyone sexist or sports events interrupted by kids' virtue signalling.
    Now you can't find something to do with friends that doesn't put politics in the way. It also further divides society because you can't have a neutral event anymore.

1. Billie Kelpin profile image87
      Billie Kelpinposted 16 months agoin reply to this

To me, "T", legislation affects each of our lives on a daily basis whether it's the stop sign in our neighborhood or r country's role throughout the globe. Politics is the discussion of whom we want to control those laws. So EVERYTHING IS AFFECTED!

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image31
    bradmasterOCcalposted 16 months ago

Friendship is a vague and ambiguous word. It means different things to different people.

So, it makes it difficult for me to answer the question as stated.

I would say that Friends are like the blocks on a pyramid. The closer to the top is where your true friends are, and as you go down towards the base of the pyramids you have other relationships.

They range from acquaintances, friends of other friends, work buddies, church buddies, membership buddies, and various other interactions with people.

Some people confuse acquaintances with friends. There are also passive aggressive people that draw other people into the friend zone, but most of the time these can never be trusted as friends.

So without writing a hub on this question, I would say no to the question with my close, top of the pyramid friends. Anybody else depends on the circumstances and the relationship.

working