This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: "https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr"

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is used to quickly and efficiently deliver files such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisements has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Are the latest revealed sexist comments by Trump defensible?

1. Ericdierker profile image56
    Ericdierkerposted 19 months ago

Are the latest revealed sexist comments by Trump defensible?

It would appear that they are not defensible to good folks. They may even rise to what some would call sinful. I have heard a whole lot worse things. In fact I have heard them a whole lot. Locker rooms and bars for sure. A few fellows talking for sure. I really cannot remember saying such type of stuff myself. But I just cannot swear that I did not. But one thing is for certain, I have heard women speak just like it about men. I think it is worth discussion. Let us see who can cast the first stone.

2. dashingscorpio profile image88
    dashingscorpioposted 19 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13227322_f260.jpg

You're right in saying that this kind of conversation is said in locker rooms and bars between many guys & women every day or night of the week. Nevertheless it's not defensible.
    Just because something is common doesn't make it right.
    My guess is some of the "evangelical voters" may decide to stay home. They're not going to suddenly vote for Hillary Clinton.
    Trump couldn't afford to lose anymore demographics.
    He already was doing worse than Mitt Romney with (women, blacks, Latinos, Asians,  and college educated voters)
    If the "evangelical voters" splinter he can't expect to win.
    The odds of a (non politician) getting elected to the highest office in the land in the modern era was a long shot to begin with!
    It's impossible to defend lines like these from a would be president.
    "I just start kissing them. It’s like a magnet. Just kiss. I don’t even wait.” “And when you’re a star, they let you do it,”
    Trump says. “You can do anything.”
    “Grab them by the p---y,” Trump says. “You can do anything.”

Ericdierkerposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Hey thanks for laying out just what was said. "Son, if all your buddies are getting drunk and driving should you?" POTUS Carter spoke of lust without action being a sin. But admitted to having it. Good stuff to ponder. Thanks for your response.

3. ptosis profile image75
    ptosisposted 19 months ago

After hearing that conversation and then when walking out of the bus and  being greeted by the woman - I would have been embarrassed and angry.

If you are a either a woman,  non-white, over-weight, not rich, and you support Trump, then you are in complete denial if you support Trump.

Interesting. I reckon I deserve such responses. This does have a category portion regarding politics. I was hoping for more of the concept of social morality, not an attack on the man but rather a discussion in general about a reality.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image41
    bradmasterOCcalposted 19 months ago

Eric
    Trump has been a presidential candidate for over 20 months, and now these are in issue. I don't think it is worth a discussion 20 months later. You are falling prey to the social re-engineering of the media.

All the religious people lost their power when the PC and the left ran over them like a steam roller.

Bill and Hillary Clinton have over 30 years in the public office committing acts of all sorts, and the media flicks them off, but they stick to Trump like glue. You are being played.

There are 2 choices, make one and move on? If you don't make one then you didn't vote?

The 1st Amendment Religion is under attack and you and your religious groups are losing.

Remember, whatever Trump did, it was as a private citizen, while the Clintons did it representing the government.

Put Trump's statements in context and timing. Being religious on the surface but not inside gives you Jimmy Swaggart. Maybe you might want to write him in on the ballot.

Seriously Eric, you can do better.

Again, another political answer to what I meant as social mores question. I suppose, my bad, but I don't think we have category about social issues that does not include politics -- interesting. Seems this issue cannot be discussed without....

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image41
      bradmasterOCcalposted 19 months agoin reply to this

Eric
      Politics is social. As you would tell me this question is ridiculous.

5. junkseller profile image85
    junksellerposted 19 months ago

I don't know about the rest of the world, but here in America at least, we very often talk about, and perceive, issues as individuals. And as individuals, it is problematic to condemn Trump, because as you suggest, we are all flawed.

However, we do not exist only as individuals. We exist as a part of a group. We exist as a Democracy. We have chosen to be a part of something that is bigger than ourselves.

As a group, we can not be burdened by the limitations of individuality. We must set goals and aspire to be better then we are and we have a duty to those aspirations even if we ourselves fall a little short.

So the matter at hand isn't individuals measuring themselves up against each other. The matter at hand is that few, if any, individuals of our group really find what he did acceptable and as we set about choosing someone to represent us all, we have to ask them to live up, not to ourselves, but to (what should be) the lofty goals of the collective.

And Donald Trump does not. Not by a longshot.

Very clean logic, I like it. But it presupposes an alternative that is more virtuous to us as One Nation. I agree that to say we cannot judge because we have faults, is only to make us step back and discern. Are actions more important than words?

6. tamarawilhite profile image90
    tamarawilhiteposted 19 months ago

It is not as bad as the revelations that Hillary Clinton not only defended a child rapist she knew was guilty (girl was 12) but laughed about it in later discussions and never apologized for smearing the victim.

working