How can we heal the deep division in our country?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (19 posts)
  1. Misfit Chick profile image70
    Misfit Chickposted 20 months ago

How can we heal the deep division in our country?

No, really - I'm not joking. I don't have the same kind of Republican or Democrat extremism as part of my thinking, despite that I have been accused of being a liberal so many times. I am an Independent who was fully-prepared to accept whoever won this election, at first. It is the things this election has revealed about us as a country that I resent. We all know that people with the opposing opinion are as passionate. Things may settle down, they may not. In any case, what do you think would calm things? Telling protestors to shut up is off limits if you really want to help.

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13276566_f260.jpg

2. Perspycacious profile image80
    Perspycaciousposted 20 months ago

Enforce the rule of law with blind justice.

3. Readmikenow profile image96
    Readmikenowposted 20 months ago

Accept the results and move on.  The Democrats are currently in the same position the Republicans found themselves 8 years ago.  Barrack Obama and the Democrats controlled the House, Senate and Presidency for two years.  Now the tables have turned.  It's time for the Democrats to do what the Republicans did, take a good long look at themselves.  Don't dismiss people in smaller states.  They need to appeal to more people than those who live in big cities.  Democrats need to stop believing their own nonsense and accept reality.  After the election of Barrack Obama, the Republicans got organized and started working at the local and state level to get candidates they wanted elected.  It happened slowly.  Now the Republicans have the House, Senate and Presidency.  Even more, the majority of Govenorships as well as Republican majorities in most state and local governments. What really repulsed a lot of Trump supporters was the pompous, arrogant attitude of the Democrats. The media and so many other people got it completely wrong because they thought they knew better.  The reality is they only saw what they wanted and not what was there.  It's time for them to start acting like adults.  That would be a good first step.

1. profile image56
      Norine Williamsposted 20 months agoin reply to this

I accept!  Trump will be my president as well!
      However, "Be careful what you've asked for, you just might "get it!"
      LORD! I pray he selects a great cabinet & LISTENS!
      Hope Obama persuaded him THIS IS THE "REAL" WORLD (for ALL THE PEOPLE) whether

2. profile image88
      stethacantusposted 20 months agoin reply to this

A lot of those people currently protesting Trump are registered Republicans. Republicans came out in force in many states on election day to vote for Hillary. What no one counted on was how many Democrats would vote for Trump.

3. profile image56

People (Democrats included) wanted "change" no matter who or what! 
      People are looking @ his morals (Republicans protesting) but as he said "I won didn't I?"
      Great strategy!

4. Ivan Tod profile image59
      Ivan Todposted 20 months agoin reply to this

I find it hard to believe that no one has noticed that every president since Bush sr. has done the same exact thing..say 1 thing & do another yet somehow people think their candidate is best. It would seem the average intelligence level has regre

5. Misfit Chick profile image70
      Misfit Chickposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Except we DIDN'T elect a hate-stirring, fear-mongering jerk - although many were SURE Obama was a demon & probably will until Trump takes office. I wonder what they'll say, then? There are more good reasons 4 these protests but too little room.

4. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 20 months ago

STOP the demonization of your opponents. Realize that we all want the same things and only differ on how to get there. Debate the issues and come up with solutions regardless where the idea comes from. Don't believe everything you read or hear in the media, all media. Use your brains and try to determine what is the truth the best you can. Follow the money. Unfortunately, there are groups with a hidden agenda. Where they get their funding to do the things they do, will tell you a lot about their motives.
    When in doubt, "follow the Constitution", it is the bedrock of our Democracy. Those who think our Constitution is outdated or obsolete are to be called out. They have no understanding of our founding and our success. Be consistent. If anyone does wrong, or lie or deceive, call them out, even if they are on your side of the political spectrum.
    Be color blind in your conduct as MLK instructed - judge people by the content of their character not the color of their skin.

1. profile image56

Agreed!

2. wrenchBiscuit profile image83
      wrenchBiscuitposted 20 months agoin reply to this

The "founding" was upon the backs of slaves and the bead bodies of my ancestors. I don't consider genocide, rape, and the theft of an entire continent "success". America will be consumed and destroyed by it's own evil. And freedom begins on that day.

5. Misfit Chick profile image70
    Misfit Chickposted 20 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13277281_f260.jpg

I have a more short-term idea that popped into my mind - which is the reason why I asked this question. I started laughing like crazy and I think others on both sides would find it fun & cathardic. It might even get us talking to each other in a way that isn't full of spite:

Hold a National Carnival where we line up ALL of our favorite politicians - especially our MOST favorite ones - put them in dunk tanks; while 'we the people' take turns trying to dunk them. I know there are a LOT of good arms out there, LoL!

Imagine, Trump, Hillary and the gang ALL WET while we laugh at them. Hell, I bet there are many people who would PAY to do something like that. Our country could make PILES of money within hours!

I know, it isn't a very realistic idea - but it is sure better than the reality of all the hate speech coming from every direction. Plus, the 'good kind' of laughter always brings healing. smile

1. jackclee lm profile image81
      jackclee lmposted 20 months agoin reply to this

Having a laugh is fine but it won't solve any of our problems which are dire. The national debt is looming and 20 trillion dollars is not an insignificant num. If we don't address  some of these problems, 4 years from now we will be in a deeper hole.

2. Misfit Chick profile image70

Still, you don't think it would help our country at all to take a constructive break? We could see polticians as HUMANS instead of demons. wink Don't you think venting some steam might be a good idea, first? The divides are DEEP.

3. jackclee lm profile image81
      jackclee lmposted 20 months agoin reply to this

I will support a National Day of Carnival. Let all who feels left out come out and just celebrate our diversity as a nation. After 18 months of political debate... we can spare 1 day to come together, laugh and heal.

4. Misfit Chick profile image70

Thanks. Its an outrageously silly thing, but see - we can agree on something. Its a start. Our melting pot of a country is one of the coolest things to celebrate about it. smile

6. tamarawilhite profile image91
    tamarawilhiteposted 20 months ago

Half of the problem is the political left saying "we're good, moral, smart, educated, rational, tolerant - which means you who disagree with us are at best ignorant, and if you don't convert when educated, you're stupid, insane or evil".
    The lack of self awareness is amazing when someone can say "don't 'other' people because it hurts their feelings", and if you point out facts contrary to their narrative or express a different view, their immediate reaction is "you're stupid/evil!"
    This problem is compounded when they demonize people who want to resolve legitimate problems.
    Try to discuss how their large families tightly packed in houses cause school taxes to go up 10% a year, put a strain on welfare (SNAP, Medicaid) and charities, all while displacing poor whites, blacks and native Hispanics in the job market? Get called racist.
    Try to discuss why it is wrong to bring in Syrian refugees when vets die for lack of care at the VA and homeless shelters are overflowing? Either called racist or homophobic.
    Try to discuss how letting mentally ill biologically intact men in to women's shelters/dorms/showers/changing rooms violates women's privacy and will get abused by perverts and would be rapists? You're called transphobic, even classic feminists citing the 1/5 of women are raped statistic. So there's a massive rape epidemic, but don't you dare maintain the sex segregation put in for the protection of women!
    You must have free exchange of ideas to hash out solutions. Yet the political left says "if you disagree with me, you're evil" to silence discussion. In the past few years, the problem is even worse with Social Justice Warriors. Disagree with them, and they hate mob you online and try to ruin your life offline as well. And in the past two years, they have been assaulting people who disagree with them.
    The black homeless woman protecting Trump's Hollywood star, San Jose Trump rally while police did nothing until the assailants stopped, a whole long list at the #Hillbullies hash tag ... that's on top of blocking people's entry to speaking events, using air horns and shouting to drown out paid speakers, threatening violence to make administrators cancel events (worse than a heckler's veto is the rioter veto).
    We will not have peace until the liberals become tolerant of diversity of opinion and reign in the bullies who say "if you disagree with me, I can hurt you" and then do so.

7. profile image51
    smatnewsposted 20 months ago

You can only heal the deep division in the country with deep heart felt prayer it is only God who has the power to remove any deep division in the country..Matt 10:10 says the devil cometh not but to steal,kill and destroy.You can only see the physical deep division in the country but the causes may not be reveal to you...may God open your eyes to see what the devil is loading in your country everyday.

1. profile image56

"John" 10:10 says that of the devil!
      The world is Satan's kingdom & Scripture will be fulfilled!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://hubpages.com/privacy-policy#gdpr

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)