jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)

Do you think California will really leave the United States?

1. norlawrence profile image82
    norlawrenceposted 14 months ago

Do you think California will really leave the United States?

Now that Trump is President California is really working on leaving the United States.

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 14 months ago

No they won't.  California is broke and without Federal assistance they would not last a month.

1. lovemychris profile image63
      lovemychrisposted 14 months agoin reply to this

lol! cali pays more into fed than it takes out. red states would flounder without cali, ny, mass...and they will hurt most when bannon  er i mean trump really i mean ryan start their massive cuts to the people of usa. dont come cryin..youz wanted it!

2. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Really Leslie?  You have some facts to back up that statement?

3. lovemychris profile image63

theres a good map of it on a zerohedges article, "california threatens to not pay federal taxes"..may not be right title, but it was written by tyler durden, jan 29, 2017. cali is a donor state,as is my little massachusetts.pay more in than take out

3. Aime F profile image84
    Aime Fposted 14 months ago

#WelcomeToCanada

You can give us Washington, Oregon, Hawaii, and New York while you're at it.

1. lovemychris profile image63

or they can form the blue states of america! we should live how we see fit, not fight just to live!

2. profile image0

Do it Leslie, then you would be happy.

3. lovemychris profile image63

i am hoping with all my heart that it happens.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 14 months agoin reply to this

Leslie
      I made a very long comment to address your latest assertions on CA. I didn't have room to cover the CA sanctuary cities, while the homeless population is serious. What are ur priorities? American Citizens or Refugees?

5. lovemychris profile image63

why choose?we can help everybody on the planet 3 times over if we want to.but we believe people have the right to hoard.its not a question of means,its a question of desire.we say a guy with billons should try n not pay taxes to help that homeless!

6. bradmasterOCcal profile image29

Leslie, We could but we don't or can't help the tens of millions of Americans living in the US that are jobless, homeless, and on food stamps, welfare. How many times do I have to repeat it. And ur state and mine have the worst help for these people

7. lovemychris profile image63

if you ever needed it youd be grateful for foodstamps.people are grateful they get care for cancer,diabetes whatever.what kind of country will let people starve and die for lack of money?not a christian one, so the farce is wide open for all to see.

4. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
    bradmasterOCcalposted 14 months ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12911056_f260.jpg

4. California is #4 of the highest state taxes.
    > Taxes paid by residents as pct. of income: 11.2%
    > Total state and local taxes collected: $172.63 billion (the highest)
    > Pct. of total taxes paid by residents: 84.5% (the highest)
    > Pct. of total taxes paid by non-residents: 15.5% (the lowest)

In 2010, the state collected individual income taxes amt to $1,229 a person, the 5th-highest in the country. There were 7 diff tax brackets in Ca, with income over $1 million for both individuals & couples taxed at 10.3%, higher than all top tax rates with the exception of Hawaii's. Currently, the state levies a 7.25% gen sales or use tax — HIGHEST in the country. Those who refuel in Ca pay 36 cents per gallon in excise taxes and fees — the 3rd-highest amt in the country.

8. Massachusetts is the 8th highest.
    > Taxes paid by residents as pct. of income: 10.4%
    > Total state and local taxes collected: $33.48 billion (10th highest)
    > Pct. of total taxes paid by residents: 76.5% (12th highest)
    > Pct. of total taxes paid by non-residents: 23.5% (12th lowest)

Leslie, in addition California has not kept up with the resources needed for the state. The population has more than doubled since the 1980s to 40 million people, and yet they haven't done much since the 80s to keep up the infrastructure, and the resource like water, electricity, gas, and gasoline.

California should actually be divided into 2 states North and South, or even better in 4 states. Southern California has more than half the population of the state. And it is bounded between the Pacific Ocean and the Mountains. There are only a few majors roads into and out of the area. This causes major traffic jams for a hundred miles. Ca can't even get the Hi Speed rail that was funded rolling. There are 5 major airports in the Los Angels area, and they need to be connected with public transportation. And LAX needs to do what was done in JFK, an Air Train that removes much of the street traffic from the airport area. The number of oil refineries hasn't changed when the pop doubled. So, anytime there is a minor disruption the gasoline supply is reduced, and gas prices go up. The CA gas prices usually highest in the 48 states. There was a severe water shortage in Ca but no new dams, or desalinization plants. When it rains most of the water goes to the Pacific Ocean. Ca public education is done at the bottom of the states. The pt is both CA and Ma tax high and give lo.

1. profile image0

Great information, but nothing about California surprises me.  It is a truly beautiful state, but not a place I would ever want to live again.

2. bradmasterOCcal profile image29

Mike, The reason that we have 40 million people here is because of the weather, and the democrat handouts. Unfortunately for me, I grew up in Manhattan and Long Island, then lived in both N and S Ca. Both of the nations Democrat stronghold.

5. Robert Webster profile image89
    Robert Websterposted 14 months ago

Following what others have said about the economic situation in California but add to this that the answer is in history. What happened the last time a state seceded from the Union? The entire stability of the First Republic relied on states maintaining their membership. The Second is, of course, the same.

So for the question yes, California could try to leave. But a better question would be whether they'd be allowed to leave...

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image29

Robert,liberal tactic. Oroville Dam during recent storms had Gov Brown begging Trump for disaster funds. fact CA spends its money on liberal social causes, increases taxes causing businesses to leave..
      Better, CA should become 4 diff states.

working