jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Should we just stop expecting any more rights for minorities in america?

1. profile image60
    Talhasohailposted 11 months ago

Should we just stop expecting any more rights for minorities in america?

As trump becomes the president and has been giving interviews which seem that he is against all the minorities living in America and wants them to leave.
    Where is equality now ?
    If People from all over the world come to America to work and pay their taxes then what is the issue??

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image83
    Kathleen Cochranposted 11 months ago

If People from all over the world come to America to work and pay their taxes then what is the issue?? - Exactly.  It is our history.  I'm third generation Scottish on both sides.  We were a minority when we first came here.

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image29
      bradmasterOCcalposted 11 months agoin reply to this

Scotland couldn't even assimilate into the United Kingdom, along with Ireland. Both have always wanted to leave the UK. As to US immigrants and refugees, are they paying taxes or getting freebies. And how many terrorists are acceptable in their midst

3. abwilliams profile image27
    abwilliamsposted 11 months ago

Really?  How about the spread of radical Islamic terrorism for starters, Sadly, our Country has experienced too much of their kind of hate, in recent years (my town, Orlando, will never be the same again) and it is far worse in so many other Countries (how open are their borders?)
    If you're okay with just tuning out the obvious, then consider those that come here illegally, with their hands outstretched; not to work, not to pay taxes, not to contribute, but to collect...to take advantage of us, all while mocking us.
    We MUST utilize Common Sense, our future depends on large amounts of it!
    I'm all for Immigration, most of us are families of Immigrants! Times have changed! The focus must be case by case interviews with extensive vetting.  Once, they check out; no criminal history, no hate-filled hearts, then the process can and should be sped up for Individuals/Families that wish to come here for all of the Right reasons, for a better life!

AB, I totally agree. We had the existing immigration laws ignored for the past 8 yrs, to our detriment. It only takes a few Terrorists among these immigrants & refugees to cause nationwide fear. 19 Muslim Terrorists successfully attacked US.

4. lovemychris profile image56
    lovemychrisposted 11 months ago

what can an illegal collect? have you ever tried to get help? the paperwork is enough to turn you away. after my divorce, i went for help. they told me to sell my car and get back to them when that money was gone. id like to know how an illegal walks into an agency and collects anything.
    and i agree with you tal....its not maga, its mawa: make america white again. NO words of outrage from trump on kings racist statement....one of many hes made.
    no apology for birtherism, or for accusing prez obama of breaking the law.
    his agenda is clear for anyone with eyes to see.

It was Hillary Clinton that in 2008 brought up the Obama birth, that he was not an American.Did Hillary apologize?

5. Reason and Facts profile image91
    Reason and Factsposted 11 months ago

Conservatives have always been branded as anti-minority, a characterization which surely will not find consensus.  Looked at critically, they seek to remove law, policies, or programs which are intended to help disadvantaged Americans.  Whether the intent makes these programs useful or not, again, will not find consensus.

Looked at positively, a very good argument can be put forth that many programs (i.e. affirmative action) are counter productive, by establishing a different set of rules.  The intent was to help those being discriminated against, and you can argue about whether it is right or wrong, needed or unnecessary, or effective or ineffective.  That's useless positioning.  The question is, is it needed still?

Trump has elevated things to a new level.  He is seeking to institutionalize a different set of rules on people from specific countries.  Although it is not explicitly stated, the inference that we are under attack from radical Islam and these 7 countries are a threat to our country infers that his actions are aimed at a religious group.

I've often wondered how a government can demonstrate fairness and have actually come to a very counter intuitive belief.  You cannot keep a tally of who get's what in the hopes that everyone eventually get's roughly the same amount.  The only way is for government to be indifferent.  No gets special treatment, everyone is treated exactly the same.

Is targeting a religious group a fair policy?  Are Muslims being viewed differently than other people?  Yes.

By all means, keep our country safe.  If your interests are genuinely about national security, make an executive order demanding higher vetting for people from all countries.  If you're not willing to do this, then you're masking targeting a religious group with national security.

working