jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (9 posts)

Can anyone make a case for Open Borders that stands up to scrutiny?

1. RJ Schwartz profile image94
    RJ Schwartzposted 11 months ago

Can anyone make a case for Open Borders that stands up to scrutiny?

When people protest to demand open borders, I wonder if they've thought the idea through all the way.  I don't see how economically it can work, but I'm willing to debate it with anyone who can show how it's beneficial to both sides - anyone ?

2. DICESI profile image81
    DICESIposted 11 months ago

The concept of open borders is used to scare people into believing the country is being invaded at the border.  This is simply not true.  While there are incidences where undocumented immigrants enter the US and commit heinous crimes; however, the bulk of the crimes are not committed by them.  Further, most undocumented immigrants are not crossing the border and if you argue that a border is necessary then you should want a border on the north as well.  There has to be a logical reason to claim we should pay for a border wall, especially after Trump said Mexico would pay for it. Should we pay for a wall that isn't an actual deterrent?  A border wall is purely symbolic because it will not stop people from coming in our country.  The hysteria around the "others" is why this is even an issue.  In a country that is isolated in a continent with only two other countries, we need to figure out a way to work with our neighbors.  Build the wall, but don't expect it to change anything except make our neighbors upset.  That affects trade as well.

1. profile image81
      Hxprofposted 11 months agoin reply to this

It's true that most illegal aliens are here on expired visas, and that warrants an overhaul of our visa program and a massive increase in ICE personnel so we can move quickly on those who overstay.

2. RJ Schwartz profile image94
      RJ Schwartzposted 11 months agoin reply to this

So you can't make a case for open borders other than your own opinion ?

3. johnmariow profile image83
    johnmariowposted 11 months ago

I don't think we should have open borders. We need to control the influx of immigrants. The answer to our border problems and our concerns about terrorists entering our nation is extreme vetting.   

If every person entering the US for the first time is subjected to extreme vetting, it could conceivably hurt our economy and our businesses.  Hence our extreme vetting policy will be very complex and may require significant research before implementation.

1. DICESI profile image81
      DICESIposted 11 months agoin reply to this

With all due respect, what you are saying is fundamentally flawed.  Most terrorists are already within our country; they are not primarily coming from foreign nations.  Largest mass murder was from an American born radicalized in US.

2. Reason and Facts profile image90
      Reason and Factsposted 11 months agoin reply to this

McVeigh and Nichols is the largest bomb, 168 killed and 500+ injured.  The first modern terrorist bombing is 7th worst (World Trade Center garage) with 6 killed and 1000+ injured.  Then the Boston Marathon is the 10th, with 3 killed and 100+ injured.

3. profile image81
      Hxprofposted 11 months agoin reply to this

Dicesi - Yes, we have a lot of home grown terrorists here.  That doesn't mitigate the need for border security to keep foreign terrorist operatives out.  Besides, we do have foreign operatives here as well; they're waiting for the moments to strike.

4. Reason and Facts profile image90
    Reason and Factsposted 11 months ago

Not open borders, but I can make a case why it isn't a priority.  There are a few areas to consider.

1.  Our birth rate is below 2, meaning couples aren't having enough kids to maintain population.  This is common for developed countries.
    2.  Immigration allows for population growth
    3.  Economic growth comes from more sales, more services, etc...  A stagnant or declining population will have a very difficult time driving economic growth, especially over the long term

4.  Immigration is our heritage, even illegal immigration.  Seriously, illegal immigration is not new, at all.  The only new aspects to modern immigration are drugs and terrorism.
    5.  The US has always benefited from having an ocean between us and Europe.  This significantly reduces the risk of of any foreign attack.  I personally feel the terrorism angle is overblown.  Regardless, they aren't bombing rural towns, it'll be a major city, so I'm not sure why non-urban voters are so animated on this topic

6.  There's no overwhelming reason why this should be a priority.  In 2016, we spent $3.8 billion just on the southern border.  Wall construction is estimated from $10 billion to $20-something billion.  And Trump has proposed permanent increases in border capabilities, potentially increasing annual costs from $3.8 billion to $8.5 billion
    7.  More Mexican illegal immigrants are leaving the US than are entering and have been doing so for a number of years now
    8.  Immigration trends have changed.  Illegal immigration is increasing from Asia, and decreasing from Latin America

Ultimately it's a matter of how necessary is it, what is the cost, and is the cost justified by the need?
    For me, it is, (a) more than unimportant and no where near critical, (b) it is very expensive, and (c) it doesn't seem justified.  This is especially so given our national debt.  We have to be very selective on what we spend money on.