Trump has gave in on DACA - not what we voted for...

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (25 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image81
    jackclee lmposted 6 years ago

As I have said repeatedly, when Trump is attacked unfairly, I will defend him. But, if he goes against his promise, I will call him out.
    This latest deal on DACA is exactly what we Conservatives does not want.
    We want a strong border enforcement policy that will stop the incoming of illegal immigrants.
    The issue of dreamers is an important one but has to be addressed in context of the full immigration reform policy.
    Trump gave in to what the Democrats wanted...
    I hope some of you democrats will be honest enough to give him credit for doing something you support.
    Election should have consequences...
    As we see with this case, nothing has changed.
    I am still waiting for that wall to be built...

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Apparently Trump is backing off of requiring that a DACA solution include a 2,000 mile stone wall. 

This I can support; these are two separate issues and DACA is important enough that the normal political games of horse trading with people's lives should not apply.  I also believe that Trumps stance on DACA, right from the beginning, was primarily bluff, little more than something to force Congress to take up the problem and find a lawful solution to what decades of those same political games have caused.  DACA itself is illegal - the president, whether Obama or Trump, does not have either the responsibility nor the authority to pick and choose which of the laws Congress has passed shall be enforced.  That Obama ignored his sworn duty to enforce the law did not make that decision legal.

2. Sharlee01 profile image77
      Sharlee01posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Jack, Not sure why you feel president Trump caved? Please check out President Trump's facebook he has posted his intent on DACA.  he claims he will not budge on building the wall, as well as doing away with the lottery program and chain migration. Why not wait to see what he actually approves and sighs.  To early to speculate what will be in the bill.

jackclee lmposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Because, I see the writing on the wall. The democrats does not support the wall, and some GOP leadership does not support it either. They say they support it but behind the scene they work to foil this legislation of funding the wall. That was also the case with repealling Obamacare.
        It is clear to me Trump has his work cut out. He has to deal with both parties that cater to the elites of this country who wants a global one world order and open borders.
        I will wait and see if I am correct.

3. Sharlee01 profile image77
      Sharlee01posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Jack,  Just viewed the press conference with Trump and the President of Norway. He confirmed that there would be absolutely no deal on DACA without the conformation that the wall be part of the bill.  It appears he is not backing down.

2. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 6 years ago

You're one to typically wait for proof.  Shouldn't we see what the courts decide on this issue before ruling on its illegality?  It's one federal judge in Obama's favor so far.

I have no confidence in the courts any more. The whole DACA order by Obama was a clear violation of our constitution. It is Congress who makes the law, and the job of the executive branch to carry out the law. These judges have no understanding of our Constitution. They should be removed from office.

3. Valeant profile image86

Shouldn't things like allowing off-shore drilling be done by Congress then?

Maybe. National land management is part of the executive branch. There are grey areas which the court can weigh in on, which is their primary job. In recent years, they seems to drift away from that with the specific case in ACA instead of ruling on the Constitutionality of the law, they rewrote it to make it Constitutional. That was Chief Justice Roberts. What a disappointment...

4. Valeant profile image86

To think people who disagree with spending billions on a wall that may or may not work want open borders is another ludicrous assumption on your part.  The things you claim to know about people who don't agree entirely with you are astonishingly naive sometimes Jack.

1. profile image0
      PrettyPantherposted 6 years agoin reply to this

If someone were to provide real evidence that building a border wall is a cost effective method of border control for the long term, I would be for it. I'm not for wasting infrastructure money on something that makes a certain subset conservatives feel tough on immigration when no evidence has been presented that it would be effective, much less cost effective.

That is easy. Go see Israel and Saudia Arabia. They built walls and they work pretty well.

1. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 6 years agoin reply to this

LOL, no that isn't enough for me. I need details and figures.

2. jackclee lm profile image81

So, I am naive. Did you know all of them voted for a wall just a few years ago? Including Senator Schumer and Clinton and Obama back in 2006?
      So what changed?
      Could it be they never intended to build it in the first place? They did the same thing to Reagan. Reagan passed an amnesty bill but was assured they would crack down on border patrol. Guess that didn’t happen either.

Here is the truth. Most American citizens want a stronger border control. That was partly why Trump was elected this past election. Yet, we still have people in power who is doing the bidding of donors and elites and corp. who wants cheap labor and open borders.
      You don’t have to take my word for it.
      Do your own research...

This issue is not about race by the way. As much as the left want you to believe it is racist that wants to close our southern borders.
      It is about sovereignty of a nation.

5. Valeant profile image86

What I mean is that you consistently make blanket statements about people not in agreement with you.  A couple of GOP lawmakers recently killed themselves after sexual abuse charges were levied against them.  That doesn't mean you should go out and say that all GOP lawmakers are sexual predators.

These assumptions you tend to make aren't in line with the reality of how many people think.  And when you make them, myself and others are tired of hearing them and are going to call you out on them.  Saying people want open borders is just not true among the majority of America.

I agree with you on that statement. I did not say most people want open borders, I was very specific, in saying the progrssives, the leaders of Congress, the donor class, and the large Corp. that benefits from cheap labor...and the fruit and vegetable growers...
      Most American citizen want an orderly immigration system like most other nations around the world.
      I am not getting your complaint about me or my statements.
      Please clarify...

6. Valeant profile image86

You say democrats don't support the wall, then later you say that both parties cater to the elites who want open borders.  Well, I'm in one of those parties and there's no catering to anyone.  The open border myth has been perpetuated by Fox News and it's just plain false.  Both parties can agree that border security remains an issue.  What they agree to fund is the difference.

Then how do you explain the million of people coming over our borders year after year...
      Are we that incompetent of a nation?
      Use your head, nothing happen in Washington by accident.
      It is planned and we the people are being played by both parties.
      You are either deliberately saying this or you actually believe it. Either case, the facts are the facts.
      We need the wall and it is the only thing that will stop the illegal entry of people and drugs to our country. If we don’t do it now, I guarentee you in 10 years, we will not have a country any more, at least the one that I support and defend under our Constitution.

"Are we that incompetent of a nation?"

Yes.  Given that a nation IS its people, not its geography, its leaders or its neighbors, yes we are incompetent.  As a people we don't want to give up cheap labor/products and are too stupid to understand the cost we're actually paying for those products.  We are incompetent.

Cheerful, happy thought, isn't it?

No that is not incompetent. We have technology that put man on the moon. We are not incompetent. What is happening at our borders is by design. Don’t you get it? The power that be wants the border open...and stay the way it has been for 50 years...

7. Valeant profile image86

Millions?  How about some research instead of just your perception. 

According to the DHS report,  the number of successful illegal entries — including people making multiple attempts  — between ports of entry along the entire southern border with Mexico has plummeted from 1.7 million in 2005 to 170,000 in 2015.

1. profile image0
      promisemposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Mostly during the Obama administration ...

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13860519.jpg

The question becomes "Why?".  Because, with the recession, not so many saw a land of milk and honey so didn't try?  Or because we didn't try to stop them?  (I do question why just Mexican citizens were included, though.  What about all the other nationalities that come across that border?

Have to say, though, that I've also seen where Obama stepped up border patrol and caught more, not less, people (not just Mexicans) attempting to sneak in.  Guess I'd have to believe the border patrol, given a choice.

Now...with things improving so much economically, will we once more see a big increase in attempts?

8. Angel Guzman profile image73
    Angel Guzmanposted 6 years ago

Do you see the irony of your anti-immigrant views?

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No Angel, they only know what Fox News tells them to know. yikes "Talking points" and no substance....

But back to the topic, the truth is Trump doesn't have a clue how Congress works. He tried to make it seem like a board of director's meeting, but flipping like a fish in one direction until someone caused him to flop in the other direction. If the intent was to show him as a "stable genius" then it utterly failed. The WH has spent most of the day explaining just what he "actually meant" to say.... yikes You just can't make this shit up!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)