jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Are we going to erode all law enforcement activities with cities refusing to obe

1. RJ Schwartz profile image93
    RJ Schwartzposted 12 months ago

Are we going to erode all law enforcement activities with cities refusing to obey Fed. laws?

Regardless of which side of the debate you support with illegal immigration and sanctuary cities, the fact that elected leaders are vocally speaking out, telling the Fed. that they will not support existing law will most likely lead to problems in other areas.  Imagine if some cities decided to ignore laws on child abuse, or molestation, of worse - Can you imagine a criminal trying to use the defense that some other laws weren't being enforced, so why should the one they are connected to be enforced?  It's a dangerous precedent.

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13472481_f260.jpg

2. profile image0
    Old Poolmanposted 12 months ago

Bottom line is "the law is the law."

I can't even imagine what our society would become if we could all pick and choose the laws we want to follow and ignore the laws we don't like.

Why should I have to stop at a stop sign when I can clearly see there are no other cars coming my way?  Why can't I rob a liquor store if I need some extra spending money?

It would be insane to allow cities to decide the laws they choose to follow and reject the laws they don't like.

If we do withhold federal funds from those cities it will be agencies like law enforcement who feel the pain.  They will continue to support their local welfare programs so the citizens don't suffer in that way, but increased crime will eventually take its toll.

We just can't allow this to happen, or we need to repeal the objectionable laws nation wide, not just in cities who don't agree with the law.  Those mayors who refuse to follow the laws as written should be arrested and put in jail.

1. MizBejabbers profile image90
      MizBejabbersposted 12 months agoin reply to this

There's a problem here. Who gets to choose which laws are objectionable? My state govt. keeps trying to pass laws that say we don't have to obey federal law we don't like, and I don't live in Calif.

3. ptosis profile image74
    ptosisposted 12 months ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/13474509_f260.jpg

From what I have heard, local law enforcement want people to report crimes - even if the victim is undocumented.

Your characterization that police are purposely ignoring "child abuse, or molestation, of worse" is an insult to law enforcement who took an oath to  serve and protect.

I don't have an answer for you because there are conflicting rights and regulations here.

"rule of law is more apt to decay if a government has insufficient corrective mechanisms for restoring it."

It is the local police policy that you are talking about - the ones who are enforcing law and keeping the peace.

"Enforcing federal immigration law “is just not what we do, which is why our policy will not change, even with the new Trump executive action,” says Captain Scroggin, “We’re the melting pot of the world out here in California, there are a lot of immigrant communities that we serve, so we need to make sure that they feel comfortable” calling the cops for help, he says. “The most important thing we strive to do is to build enough trust so that residents provide information that makes this community safer. It’s a team effort." http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2 … -crackdown

"Immigration laws are very complex and the training required to understand them significantly detracts from the core mission of local police to create safe communities,'' the association stated."Local police need to have the community's confidence and know they can be free to report problems without consequences,'' he said. "If people are afraid to come to the police, that domestic violence incident today will be a homicide tomorrow and that's in no one's interest.'' - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol … /97103552/

Bottom Line: Police chiefs across the country support sanctuary cities because they keep crime down

1. bradmasterOCcal profile image30
      bradmasterOCcalposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Keeping known felons from deportation, many of whom are gang members supporting the drug cartels is going to keep crime down?
      Your bottom line looks faulty.

4. profile image0
    LoliHeyposted 12 months ago

That's how America may fall, I believe.  I'm still waiting for a civil war of some sort.  It's not okay to protect people who are doing illegal things.  It's sad that in many cases, many Americans are defending the people in the wrong. Right is wrong and wrong is right.  Sad.

working