Based on President Trump's job performance so far, should Republicans have nomin

1. Perspycacious profile image81
    Perspycaciousposted 8 months ago

Based on President Trump's job performance so far, should Republicans have nominated Dr. Ben Carson?

If not Ben Carson, is there (in hindsight) a Republican contender for the 2016 Election that you now feel would have been a superior choice as the Republican candidate?  Equally importantly, if you are a Republican or an "anyone but Hillary voter from that election, would your alternative also have defeated Hillary?

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/12136060_f260.jpg

2. lisavollrath profile image96
    lisavollrathposted 8 months ago

Disclaimer: I was a Bernie voter in the primaries, and voted for Hillary in the general election. I'm also of a mind that anyone would be better than Trump. Anyone at all.

Having said that...

Ben Carson? Just hearing his name kinda puts me to sleep. He wasn't a good candidate. He mumbled. He sort of looked like he didn't know what was going on most of the time. I don't know that he ever really got any good ideas out there. I don't think he would be a good choice.

How 'bout Marco Rubio? He's young, and would be a great end to the Republican legacy of putting forth old, rich, white dudes as candidates. I live in Texas, where the Democrats are relying on the Hispanic vote to turn our state from red to blue. Having a Hispanic Republican President might put an end to the idea that the Democrats have a lock on minority voters, just at a time when, in some places, people of color are becoming the majority.

I don't know if Marco could have beaten Hillary, but I'm pretty sure he would have given her a run for her money, in the same way Obama did in 2008, appealing to younger voters.

working