jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

Should all statues, monuments and likenesses that remind us of slavery be remove

1. Sharlee01 profile image86
    Sharlee01posted 8 months ago

Should all statues, monuments and likenesses that remind us of slavery be removed from site?

How far should we go to remove our history? Were the concentration camps of Europe  not left in place to remind us of what humankind was capable of? Will removing physical reminders heal racism?  Perhaps reminders can work to serve a purpose.  Eighteen of our presidents owned slaves...   Should we erase all of their likenesses from view, and where do we start? 

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/13659172_f260.jpg

2. RonElFran profile image100
    RonElFranposted 8 months ago

Sharon, the way you've framed the issue is not correct. It's not about eliminating anything that reminds us of slavery. For example, the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington has plenty of reminders of slavery, but they are placed in proper historical context.

The real issue is monuments that celebrate the Confederacy, what it stood for, and the men who fought for it in a treasonous war against the United States that was initiated for the purpose of keeping 4 million human beings in unending bondage.

It's not that such monuments must be removed from sight. But they absolutely should be removed from any place of honor. Simply put, what the Confederacy stood for was evil, and should not to any degree be celebrated.

1. Dean Traylor profile image94
      Dean Traylorposted 8 months agoin reply to this

My understanding is that some of these monuments were put up during the civil rights movement of the 60s as a means of defiance for the passage of civil rights laws during that time.

2. howlermunkey profile image89
      howlermunkeyposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Halloween is evil yet we dress our kids up as scary monsters, hope for the best and send them on their way.... Much like our political votes. Yes, confederates did support slavery, but that wasn't the only reason southerners fought for the south.

3. gregas profile image81
      gregasposted 8 months agoin reply to this

I agree with you Jeff. The people that fought for the south fought and died for reasons that they believed in just like the people of the north. Ane, as it has been pointed out, there were slave owners in the north too. It wasn't just about slavery,,

3. howlermunkey profile image89
    howlermunkeyposted 8 months ago

I see the appeal to remove those items that remind us of unjust times, but I agree with you, where do we stop? The sad truth is that the movement to remove certain artifacts, along with the people leaving the American Manufacturing Council, may (does in fact) have more to do with political agenda's, money, and back room handshakes than anything else....

1. howlermunkey profile image89
      howlermunkeyposted 8 months agoin reply to this

Im going to say it like it is:  There are some major global economical and political  parties who may benefit by creating racial strife in our society. Trump is not a racist. Yes, Trump is white.

4. Violets3 profile image79
    Violets3posted 8 months ago

Na...if that were the case....we'd basically remove every prominent figure in American History. Some of the best men we look up to supported and had slaves.....so I don't really see what the point would be. They have qualities that we like and respect, so let's keep that. Besides, without remembering, history tends to repeat itself. Even bad figures should stay put. It can be an interesting conversation starter between people who are out on a walk.

working