jump to last post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)

Credence2 said that he would credit Trump when it is due: here it is

1. Credence2 profile image79
    Credence2posted 8 weeks ago

I need to give President Trump some credit for getting behind the need to ban "bump stocks' as legal accessories to assault rifles. Considering the nature of the Political Right at its core, this was totally unexpected and is quite a surprise.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/trump-moves-b … ories.html

It may be just a step, a small step, yes, to limiting the body count of such carnage as we experienced last year in Las Vegas.

And no, gun enthusiasts, nobody is threatening to take your gun or deny you your 2nd Amendment rights. This is just a common sense action in face of a preventable tragedy.

1. jackclee lm profile image82
      jackclee lmposted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

Very good. I am glad you are able to put aside your disagreement with Trump and praise him for a change.
      I hope more Democrats would do the same especially give him credit for the economic boom and the jobs picture and the tax reform...

1. Credence2 profile image79
        Credence2posted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

He is only deserving of my praise for this distinct political act, don't press your luck, Jack!!

As for the "economic renewal" you credit Trump with, I have a wait and see attitude, as to its duration and sustainability.

2. wilderness profile image97
      wildernessposted 8 weeks agoin reply to this

Given the proliferation of 3-D printers and ease with which a bump stock can be constructed with one, it will indeed be a small step.  A very small step.

And because of that, no it is not a "common sense" one.  "Common sense" tells us that all such a law can be used for is to give another charge to someone already acting illegally.  Not prevent any significant number of murders.  Unfortunate but true, for no insane killer that can make one so easily on their dining room table is going to care one iota what the law says.

I will grant you that it could conceivably prevent a few accidental deaths, for the idiots that get a huge charge out of spraying bullets everywhere but a target WILL care that it is illegal.  Of course, one could also say that such a death is more an "evolution in action" thing than a tragedy anyway...

working