Welcome back torture! Haspel's non-answers.

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago

With Spanky already making it clear he's all for using torture, his nomination of Gina Haspel to head the CIA is raising flags among some congressional members. She flat out refused to answer the question, "Do you think the methods you used during the Iraq War were immoral or not.  After repeated tries by several members of the committee she still stonewalled.

John McCain has firmly spoke out against her being confirmed and he should know all about torture due to his years in a prison camp.  He said torure doesn't work, but Spanky--who dodged any sort of military service--thinks he knows better. 

Your thoughts?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Personally I had a problem with her answer that she wouldn't do what she considered to be immoral.  If she has a job to do then she is expected to DO that job, and whether or not it violates her personal morals is irrelevant.

Do we want a nurse or physician that refuses to treat gays, drunks, adolators, drug users, criminals, pedophiles, abortion doctors, etc. ?  Do we want a judge that refuses to assign guilt or punishment because (s)he finds the law, passed by the peoples representatives, to be immoral? 

But McCain - if he was tortured as a prisoner then he was in no condition to know if it "worked" on anyone else, and the result from a single example is worthless.  The Great and Honorable President Donald Trump may well know more about it that McCain does - holding a gun does not make a torture expert. 

If you don't think torture "works" you might think back to the Inquisition and ask yourself why it continued for so long if it was a failure.  Was everyone just that sadistic, or did it produce the desired results?

1. Credence2 profile image78
        Credence2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

"The Great and Honorable President Donald Trump may well know more about it that McCain does - holding a gun does not make a torture expert"

What is the basis for that comment Wilderness?  Why would a lily liveried draft dodging coward know more about the concept having no relative experience, at all? What are his credentials? But like so many conservatives, they be.ieve that his intuition is adequate substitute for actual experience, which will continue to get him into trouble and keep him there.

I think that he is 'so smart' that he does not need to listen to the people who actually are in a position to know..

What are McCains credentials?  Has he tortured a few hundred people and kept record of results? Or did you miss the important part: "The Great and Honorable President Donald Trump may well know more about it that McCain does"?  Keep in mind that I try not to spin and convince readers of something false: I mean what I say, nothing else.  Trump may know more, he may not.  Randy seemed to think that it was somehow obvious that McCain would be more knowledgeable on the subject, but presented nothing to indicate that was true.

You may think that being tortured gives a person deep insight and knowledge into how well it works on others.  I have serious doubts about that.

Randy Godwinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

So how many people have you been tortured by, Dan?  Or you have tortured yourself? What makes you a better judge than McCain?

What makes you a better judge than Trump?  Tortured a few hundred, have you?

I forgot, you don't answer questions, Dan. Simply deflect with more questions. Never mind, too much like conversing with horse!

And furthermore, it's a disgrace to compare a draft dodger to a real war hero.  Nuff sed!

Ask a question on topic and I'll answer...if you've answer the ones I asked. 

Change topics and I'm not too much interested, Randy.  You have a habit of doing that when you don't like what is coming into view, but that doesn't mean I should drop the topic and change to something different.

Like bringing draft dodgers into the discussion of torture and what makes one knowledgeable on that topic.

I would like to know WHAT it is that makes Trump, knowledgeable. Can Trump substantiate his source, why not divulge? I know that you accentuated MAY in your last response. But, also it MAY be possible that the moon is made of green cheese as well...... MAY in this context mean highly improbable or virtually impossible.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

The context was if a draft dodger knows more about torture than a POW who has been tortured himself. I understand you don't have any reason why you are in the draft dodgers corner, other than you voted for him, that is.  This thread is about torture, remember?

2. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Here's one for the absolute brilliance of the left , If US. troops are trained and water-boarded  in their survival instructions in case of capture , Navy Seals , special forces , rangers , Just how cruel and unusual a punishment can it be ?  No , I know ........you don't have to answer  if your loyalties lie with the past , present and future enemies of the US .

Haspels the first woman to head the CIA  ,  IF the first woman  were a Hillary nominee , you of the obstructo-libs would be in a blanke-safe -space because of critiquing from the right  .

Identity Politics of the left dictate only liberal woman is worth promoting . And only then as a group of female voters and not the individual woman.

I don't care for rightwing types, in the face of that their gender is really irrelevant.

1. profile image0

It sure Is irrelevant  to liberals , like I've said.

"We stand for the rights of ALL women , and sit it out for the individual "
          IN other words give us all your votes and don't bother us when you have an individual issue. No matter the minority .

2. Randy Godwin profile image61

Unfortunately, I can't find any examples of brilliance from the right, Horse. I'll keep looking though! tongue

1. profile image0

I guess it's only the left that rides into battle upon white horses , their chainmail glowing in a godlike sparkling  , Knights in white satin perhaps  ,  Unlike John McCain while an honorable soldier , a fighter bomber pilot , a 5 1/ 2 year POW in Hanoi Hilton was as responsible for many collaterally damaged and altered lives and deaths as the next soldier in Nam  .   I still admire him for his sacrifices as one of the absolute best of the best .

Waterboarding - Is going to happen whether liberals think it will or not , which would you rather happen ?   All of these "tortures" to happen behind the scenes  in secret without our knowledge ?     How do you who credit Obama with killing Bin Laden -think that ,that  happened , little birds told the intelligence people where he was ?

This is simply what we get when people decide to love their enemies before their own country , MORE than their own people ,  more than their own leaders .   Liberals seem actually superficial in intellect  discussing  issues like this ,  Someone once said  ," A conservative is just a liberal who's been mugged "  I say , All people become conservative when attacked from behind like in 9/11  but apparently only if you are a direct victim  or you know the victim .   Otherwise apparently liberals always  tend towards pacifism ?

By the way Randy , I know your kind ! If the victim were in your family and waterboarding was the only way to get to the perpetrators , You'd be 1 st one holding the water hose and screaming  your head off at the perps.

I know your kind as well, horse. You'd be the one with the dog leashes and masks. Haspel has an R in front of her name, doesn't she? tongue

1. profile image0

And its just the R before her name that is qualifying   any sense of your patriotism ?  That's showing a fantastic amount  of political /historical intellect .

You're the one who mentioned letters before a name first, horse. Eat it!

3. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Damn Randy you have forced me into an awkward position. To be clear I am not a McCain basher, but, regarding your ".. and he should know all about torture due to his years in a prison camp." - you would benefit from looking a little deeper into his "torture" experiences.  To be clear, again   I believe McCain endured incredible  degradation during his time as a prisoner, but, if you check some perspectives out there, that his treatment was relative to his value as the son of a high ranking admiral, (plus, and to his credit that he refused it, there are stories that he was offered early release - conditional on making certain statements, because of his father's status), then maybe your "he should know torture" statement might not be as all-encompassing as you think.

Double damn, in no way do I want that comment to sound as a defamation of McCain or his experiences. I doubt I could endure what he did.

GA

release - conditional on making certain statements, because of his father's status), then maybe your "he should know torture" statement might not be as all-encompassing as you think.

I still like to know GA, what is the basis of Trump's knowledge on the subject besides the fact that he says that he is an expert, as he says that he is in international affairs, diplomacy and every other  endeavor under the control  of people?

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

I find it rather amusing that liberals NOW use Sen.McCain's experiences in a debate about  waterboarding ,  They never could stand McCain or anything about him until now ?  If that isn't some fairly blatant hypocrisy .
    I have said many times , on 9/11 NYC liberals were ready to bomb the entire middle east  and waterboard brownskins from Mexico to the Mecca .
    NOW they become maniacs of morality .

You are completely clueless on what the left think of McCain, horse. Your untrue comments let one know you are just like your hero Spanky. No one's buying your BS except other Spanky fans. lol

1. profile image0

Hey Randy CNN polls released say that they are disappointed in that the "Blue Wave " in November isn't likely to happen at all , .............surprise !
        THAT says more about Trump supporters than anything else ,especially your opinion of it.

I thought you said CNN polls were BS?  lol

1. profile image0

I should have said EVEN CNN polls.

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
          Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years agoin reply to this

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/14036616.jpg

For all intentions and practical purposes, Stormy Daniels is the mass media face of the Democratic Party. I'm all for promoting women in politics, but it seems the Democrats have values which don't reflect my notions of political acuity. LOL

I don't doubt it one bit, Wesman. You prefer a lying arrogant sleazeball  for your role model. tongue

3. profile image0
    Onusonusposted 5 years ago

Could care less.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o59km78giWk/S1-dx3zdLkI/AAAAAAAADxo/7JIpn_REhGc/s400/waterboarding-sarcasm-demotivational-poster-1240361506.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)