Another Season of NFL Kneeling is unfolding

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (28 posts)
  1. RJ Schwartz profile image88
    RJ Schwartzposted 5 years ago

The 2018 NFL preseason started last week (yes, I was just as surprised as you were) and although game #1 went on without any issues, game #2 reminded everyone that the kneeling issue hasn't been resolved.  It's no secret that attendance and viewership numbers are both falling as a direct result of the behavior.

Will we see continued decline in support for the NFL?  If you are no longer following the NFL, is there anything the league could do to get your support back?  What other thoughts do you have on the topic?

2. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image81
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago

And they've now got a male cheerleader somewhere, I hear. I think I'll just take a hard pass on the NFL. Baseball is the only sport I need.

1. RJ Schwartz profile image88
      RJ Schwartzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I heard that male cheerleader announcement - like we needed another reason to turn it off.  I used to be a huge fan - even had a Green Bay Packer helmet tattooed on my arm, but since this kneeling thing, I've not returned and even had new ink to cover that symbol of stupidity

https://hubstatic.com/14162002.jpg

3. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 5 years ago

Hi Ralph - I have no tattoos to cover, but I ‘hear’ you.
    My former team, the Dolphins, are back at it...I am so done!
    I am with Wes, let’s go Red Sox!

4. IslandBites profile image90
    IslandBitesposted 5 years ago

Yezuz. LOL

5. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 5 years ago

LOL, rhe snowflakes can't handle a citizen displaying their patriotism in a manner that differs from their point of view.

I'm fine with all you pretend patriots boycotting football. The rest of us will enjoy it more.

"Guard against the impostures of pretended patriotism."

"True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else."

1. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Well, well, the panther appears...

Do you think the "done" folks are like the "I'm moving to Canada" folks?

Remember when teenagers used to drag the hall phone into the closet? I wonder if there will be other closet occupants now?

[FULL DISCLOSURE NOTICE] - Comment was a jest - Respondent's humor has frequently been mistaken as serious wit. Respondent makes no claims to such wit, or abilities. Disregarding this FULL DISCLOSURE NOTICE could result in serious sprains.

GA

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Everyone has their line in the sand, GA. Apparently, kneeling during the anthem is just TOO MUCH for them to bear. Oh, and male cheerleaders.

I periodically worry over how my love of football contributes to serious head trauma among the players I love, but then I rationalize that they are grown men choosing to play football despite the risks.

Everybody has their line....

1. GA Anderson profile image89
          GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I had a line once, but I crossed it, and haven't found my way back since.

GA

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure those against the players kneeling jump to attention and salute the flag at home to show their patriotism.  NOT!!  lol

1. profile image0

Yes, their outrage is selective, isn't it?  I've been to many sporting events, including football.  Many people talk through the anthem, don't stand, eat, or simply ignore it.  I'm sure quite a few are sitting on the crapper while listening to it being played.  Selective outrage.

1. profile image0
          ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Selective outrage .............kind of like  a  hundred million dollar contracted NFL player who'd discriminated against when the go buy their Maserati ,
          cigarette boat or  Beverly Hills mansion ?

Mommy says ", Don't you get that clean NFL uniform dirty on the knees now  son "

Yea , They're all outraged alright , I can tell you a few other things they are too .

1. profile image0

Huh?

1. profile image0

https://hubstatic.com/14163831.jpg

In other words "Let's all feel bad for the poor NFL , NBA players , because they truly represent the rest of us so well ?

People earning what they do wouldn't know the difference between experiencing racism and racing .

6. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

NFL is OFF in my house , I'm part of the profit losses based entirely on moron politics from celebrities .  You know ? The ones who promised to go to Canada or elsewhere and reneged ?

7. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 5 years ago

People kneeling during anthems... male cheerleaders... boy, life sure sounds rough for you guys.

8. profile image0

Bottom line - I guess if you can't attract a NFL crowd by playing football  - then you might as well kneel down .Ratings have dropped considerably , keep up the great corporate sales tactic .

9. abwilliams profile image68

When what they do comes off as a slap in the face to all Veterans, past and present...
    When questioned as to why they do it, they've no particular good reason...
    It reminds me of when my kids were little and one would be the instigator, the others would follow instigator's lead. When busted, "well he did it first" or "she did it first" or my personal favorite..."but nobody got hurt". My response would be, "that doesn't mean you should do it, that doesn't make it right."
    To the ladies in this thread that don't see this as a problem, that's your perogative.
    As a matter of principle, I cannot support what has become {at this point} a slap in America's face.
    When they start acting like men, I may give them another chance.

1. profile image0

+10000000000000000000000000000000%

2. IslandBites profile image90
      IslandBitesposted 5 years agoin reply to this

When what they do comes off as a slap in the face to all Veterans, past and present...

U.S. Army veteran Nate Boyer convinced Colin Kaepernick to kneel, rather than sit, while protesting police brutality during the national anthem.

Boyer: We sorta came to a middle ground where he would take a knee alongside his teammate. Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother’s grave, you know, to show respect. When we’re on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security.

Kaepernick:

After hours of careful consideration, and even a visit from Nate Boyer, a retired Green Beret and former NFL player, we came to the conclusion that we should kneel, rather than sit, the next day during the anthem as a peaceful protest. We chose to kneel because it’s a respectful gesture. I remember thinking our posture was like a flag flown at half-mast to mark a tragedy.

Btw

https://iava.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/update-nfl-3.jpg
      https://iava.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/update-nfl-poll-1.jpg
      https://iava.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/updated-nfl-5.jpg

1. abwilliams profile image68
        abwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If anyone should be taking a knee right now, it's Police Officers. Not a day seems to pass without news of another attack on another Police Officer or Police Officers. But, they'll not take a knee...they take their jobs very seriously!
        My husband and I have started watching Live P.D. on t.v. and the restraint shown by these men and women is admirable! There was an episode last night in which a suspect kept coming, the Police Officer must have yelled drop the knife about a dozen times. K-9 Units will warn they're sending the dog several times, before they send the dog. (I'll admit, I doubt I could show such restraint toward the many punks (all colors, both sexes) that have no respect for anything whatsoever, certainly not Authority) I love that these shows are giving a glimpse into what it's really like for Police Officers.
        They are in my prayers daily!

1. profile image0

It is okay to support the police and appreciate the dangerous and difficult nature of their jobs while also acknowledging that there are numerous incidents of police brutality and unnecessary killings for which police are not being held accountable.

The two are not mutually exclusive.

3. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I've never cared for football, probably because it was a sport that we girls weren't allowed to play. (How times have changed.) So they've never had me to lose.However, I don't think that sports are the appropriate place for prayers, patriotism or lack there of, protests, or any other American hoopla. Why did all of that start in the first place?

1. abwilliams profile image68
        abwilliamsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

The Patriotism dates back to the 1918 World Series.
        The protests started when Obama was President.

4. profile image0

"When questioned as to why they do it, they've no particular good reason... "

After the game, during an interview with NFL.com, Kaepernick explained that the move was a protest over how the country treats black people and people of color.

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses Black people and people of color," Kaepernick said. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."
      https://www.businessinsider.com/colin-k … hem-2016-8

Sounds like a particular good reason to me.

10. profile image0

abwilliams , ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

11. abwilliams profile image68

Mountains have been made of mole hills...the lie of the century has been repeated so often, people believe it actually happened...'Hands up, don't shoot' and that's why Police Officers have become targets. I don't believe all Police Officers are Saints, but they don't deserve what they are faced with day in and day out and with minimal pay to boot!
    God forbid they someday have their fill and take a knee!

1. profile image0

Good points , Maybe it's time cops "Took a Knee " Firemen ,   DA's , judges , parole boards , prison guards , border patrol ............Amazing the dedication among the pros and the negativity among the naysayers .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)