CPAC Celebrates Death of John McCain

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (33 posts)
  1. crankalicious profile image91
    crankaliciousposted 5 years ago

Interesting.

I was not a McCain fan, but is this what people do now? Attack somebody's ghost? Is this typical of conservative meetings?

Apparently the chief offender was Michelle Malkin, but sounds like there was applause.

https://www.citizentribune.com/news/pol … 32674.html

Obviously, the level of dialogue, respect, and manners is pretty disappointing.

1. MizBejabbers profile image90
      MizBejabbersposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I think this was taken out of context. She was speaking to Paul Ryan, Mitch McConnell and to John McCain as if he were still there. She was putting the blame on waning Republicans, to heck that one is dead, for not passing an immigration law that she favors. I'm not condoning her or her talk even in context because I think we have two new groups of radicals, liberal and conservative, that we should be wary of. I think our concerns should be what kind of young people have we raised in this political atmosphere that we've allowed to prosper in our country.
      OK, so she admonishes the ghost of a respected lawmaker and Omar spews anti-Semitism, again I say what kind of a generation do we have in store to take over from the waning politicians of both parties?

2. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I listened to the clip. She called out an entire group, with McCain's name included at the end. We don't speak ill of the dead but the gist was both parties have done nothing to push forward an agenda she would like to see pushed.

I don't see what good could be expected of a deceased individual, in regards to reform. But, I think this is a tempest in a teapot.

1. GA Anderson profile image81
        GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

That is my perspective also.

We can hear, (and see), the context of her remark in this video of her full speech.

*the McCain reference starts at the 8-minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfF25NOlH7I

GA

1. Live to Learn profile image60

Thanks for the added link. I had assumed something had to have been left out on the original link provided. It appears not, unless I missed something. I did skip along every minute or two after that one reference to see if there was anything else.

Which leaves me to wonder (if I didn't skip a smoking gun) how the OP could honestly justify the title to this thread.

crankaliciousposted 5 years agoin reply to this

With this:

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4325 … ohn-mccain

Seems like lots of people were offended by the reference.

I am not surprised. Seems like a lot of people search for offense at every turn these days. It must be fashionable.

2. GA Anderson profile image81

crankalicious. Morning Joe said it, so I must have heard it wrong when I listened to it.

"MSNBC host Joe Scarborough on Monday denounced as "hellacious" and "inhumane" statements made about the late Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), saying that a reference to his "ghost" was a low point for the event."

Here is what was said - along with the context of the statement:

Congress has repeatedly mandated a nationwide visa entry-exit system to track legal short-term visa holders. But one has yet to be built—even in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, which were perpetrated in part by several illegal alien visa overstayers. E-verify has been stalled. Sanctuary cities metastasized. And BOTH parties are to blame – and yes I’m looking at you, retired Paul Ryan, and yes I'm looking at you Mitch McConnell, and yes I'm looking at you Bush family, and yes I'm looking at you the ghost of John McCain."

I don't see any "hellacious" and "inhumane" statements made about the late Sen. John McCain." He was mentioned, (as in his ghost was), as part of a group regarding a failed task.

What is hellish about that? From this, you believe lots of people agree with him?

After seeing the context and transcript, do you believe it was a hellish and inhuman statement?

I am sticking with Live to Learn, the OP was misleading.

GA

Joe and others were upset that people applauded and I've seen several references to the concept that people were applauding that McCain was dead. Both his wife and daughter denounced the reference.

Do I think it was over-the-top? Nope, but I have a sick sense of humor. Honestly, I don't think the speaker did anything too bad, but applauding his death, which some in the audience apparently did, is pretty low. That said, such things happen on both sides.

So, we couldn't get any traction claiming offense by the speaker so we turn to the audience to take imagined umbrage.

I think the fact that we are pretending an entire line of thought and a fairly long sentence did not precede the applause is rather indicative of a probable truth that you may know the applause was for the entire thought and not the one liner you hope to convince others it was attributed to.

I think the absurdity of these arguments is slowly finding fewer and fewer gullible people to buy into them, which I think is a good thing. In the long run. Taking a flying leap off of the edge of reason, in order to create a bizarrely negative take on a single moment (which is not so surgically removed from context that it can be hidden from the casual observer who insists on truth) is losing the power it once held to divide.

There were quite a few people who made the point I am making. I am merely repeating it. The McCain family seemed quite upset.

3. profile image0
      promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Attacking dead people who spent their lives serving their country has no place in political speeches of either party.

It's a low blow. The fact that she mentioned other names is irrelevant. Dead people can't defend themselves.

1. JAKE Earthshine profile image68
        JAKE Earthshineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

But "either party" isn't responsible for weirdo irrelevant Michelle Malkin's strange disgraceful remarks about great American hero John Mccain, the Communist Russian Republican party is and she was hosted by the alt-right CONservative CPAC Hate Fest of lies, anger and racism:

Try not to drag the Democratic Party into something they had no part in:

2. GA Anderson profile image81

Your comment sounds like you are saying it's a "low blow" to say anything that isn't complimentary about any dead person.

I say that because I didn't read the context of the inclusion of John McCain's ghost in a group of names as is being described.

Is it safe to assume you did read the full context of the comment, (included in this thread), and still feel it was a low blow just to include his name? That is all I found in the "offending" speech. I didn't read anything that singled-out McCain alone.

Did I misread your intent? Was it only the inclusion of the name that you think was wrong?

Rhetorically speaking, your thought would preclude any discussion about the dead presidents on a "10 Worst Presidents" list.

GA

From the right-wing point-of-view, McCain did betray them, so I can see why they're upset.

If McCain didn't betray his own beliefs then whatever they say simply means he didn't share theirs. Not an insult.

1. profile image0

I don't see how McCain is any different in that respect than other successful politicians. They are pragmatists much more than they are idealists.

Funny, I'm defending a semi-conservative, pro-military Republican and getting pushback from the conservatives on here.  smile

2. profile image0

I suggest it's the extreme right wing and not just the right wing that is delighted he is dead and still cheers at the thought of it.

3. JAKE Earthshine profile image68

Let's not loose site of the fact that Hero John McCain BETRAYED Bozo Trump and Russian Republicans in Congress by STOPPING them from TERMINATING Obama-CARE Health Insurance for Millions of Americans while Rubio, "Mutt" McConnell who presides over one of the POOREST states in the union, Rand space man Paul and the majority of CONseravtive senators who will be voted out of office very soon, VOTED In Favor of DESTROYING the Health-Care of Millions of Americans: Unconscionable:

2. JAKE Earthshine profile image68

Weirdo Michelle Malkin is an irrelevant alt-right nut case always looking for attention so she can try to peddle products to the uneducated gullible few, just like Donald Trump, the Trump children, Roger "dimwit" Stone who should be going straight to prison next week, Sean Hammity and the rest:

Wouldn't it be nice if perceived examples of speaking ill of the dead were held in as much contempt by polite society as insulting the living.

3. profile image0

I read the statement and watched the video. It's simply a low blow to attack a dead person for political gain.

McCain's  life, death and memory are still fresh in everyone's minds. Attacking someone who recently died is much different than attacking a President who died decades or centuries ago.

I understand what you are saying. Regarding the statement, I don't see it as any more of an attack on McCain than it was on any of the other names mentioned. So on that, we disagree.

I think the OP, and the spark that prompted it are just partisan spin.

To your later mentioned point about push-back from Conservatives; I am not at all a Maulkin fan. I supported McCain's decisions that gained him the ire of the Right. And I also criticized the idiots that celebrated his death or made political hay from it with anti-McCain posturing.

R.I.P. John McCain

I don't think partisanship has anything to do with my view of Maulkin's comment.

GA

1. profile image0

I didn't find her attack more of an attack on McCain. Just an inappropriate one for a national leader who died a few months ago of a horrible cancer.

Regarding partisanship on here, I just found it interesting that I was to the right of the rightists.

I don't think I said anything or meant to imply that your own comments on this issue are partisan.

After all, you did make a recent comment in praise of Joe Biden ...

You didn't say anything about partisanship promisem. I was just emphasizing that my take on this McCain controversy had nothing to do with an agreement with the CPAC message

I think that whether it was in poor taste or "inappropriate" will be in the eye of the beholder. I don't even find it inappropriate.

And even worse than passing Biden, I have been known to even say something good about Bill Clinton. (well, at least once I did)

GA

3. Live to Learn profile image60

I don't see it as a low blow unless McCain fought for whatever this woman was advocating and the inclusion of the name in a list of people she felt had not fought for it was a lie.

So he didn't support her agenda. That doesn't mean whatever he supported wasn't, in his mind, more important.

1. profile image0

The fact that he didn't support her extremist agenda doesn't justify attacking a dead man who can't defend himself.

Count me in agreement with your comment higher up: "We don't speak ill of the dead".

2. profile image0
          Hxprofposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.  In addition, McCain was a public figure, so when a public figure supports or doesn't support certain positions, they will receive public criticism.  In context, mentioning McCain wasn't an attack on a dead person; it was a criticism of positions he took - totally valid.

2. IslandBites profile image91
    IslandBitesposted 5 years ago

If she wanted to mention him, she could've said "Im talking about McCain. And I'm talking to you, Ryan," etc. But she obviously knew what she was doing and she knew her audience. She left him for last, she made a pause. Then she mentioned his ghost while pointing up. And got her standing O. I noticed the carefully placed word metastasized.

And then she mocked his widow.

I guess she wanted some press and got it. Good for her.

Another despicable person. Yay.

I don't get why is a surprise that some people enjoyed his death since it was made public by most of them.
    Some people here in Hubpages are not that far, judging by the comments.

I agree it was a scripted performance. But I still don't see it as a hellish and inhumane attack.

I had to go looking for your reference to Malkin mocking Cindy McCain, and what I found was a tweet reference:

Cindy McCain tweeted: "You never knew @SenJohnMcCain . You should be so lucky."

Malkin responded with a tweet: "So triggered..."
      *(an insensitive response at best, a purposely callous one at worst - I would attribute it to the worst)

That is all I could find. Yet it is described by you as mocking her, which is tame compared to the description in the article:

The words, "So triggered" in a text-only tweet were described as" "So how did Malkin respond? With absolute glee that she was able to get under the skin of a grieving widow, that’s how."

I missed it. Where is the "absolute glee" shown? Maybe I should have checked to see if the author was a Scarborough associate.

GA

3. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 5 years ago

We'll have to agree to disagree. I'll not continue conversing in this thread after the thinly veiled insults of other posters.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)