RIP John McCain

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (118 posts)
  1. IslandBites profile image89
    IslandBitesposted 5 years ago

John McCain, senator and former presidential candidate, dies at 81

"It's been quite a ride. I've known great passions, seen amazing wonders, fought in a war, and helped make peace. I've lived very well and I've been deprived of all comforts. I've been as lonely as a person can be and I've enjoyed the company of heroes. I've suffered the deepest despair and experienced the highest exultation...I made a small place for myself in the story of America and the history of my times."

1. Jean Bakula profile image87
      Jean Bakulaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

What a good choice of a quote, from a great American Patriot, a tireless worker for the people of America, and a man of the civility which is all but lost in our Country today. Go with God, as we look forward to a new generation of patriots and politicians who have the courage and grace to fill your shoes. Our thoughts are with your loved ones at this sorrowful time.

2. hard sun profile image78
      hard sunposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Excellent. Makes you wonder why so many tolerate Trump's disparaging of an American hero. Politics is one thing, attacking his service is another. I sincerely hope Trump can keep his mouth shut now.

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Funny thing IS  , It didn't take long for Democrats to lose ANY sense for decency -disparaging comments and general  ideological decency the moment Trump look promising in the elections .

But now you grow fond of  your once despised "an American hero "  McCain ?

Sure we believe you ! Sure ........

1. GA Anderson profile image84
          GA Andersonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

ahorseback, this isn't the thread for this type of comment. You surprised me with the appropriateness of your first comment, (remember what you said about him when he didn't support the kill-Obamacare vote?), but this comment is in poor taste and poorly placed.

You should delete it, and let your first comment represent who you are, because your second comment certainly shouldn't be one you want to be judged by.

GA

3. GA Anderson profile image84

Hell of a nice post Islandbites. We should all be so lucky as to be able to say what he did in that quote.

I agree with Hard Sun's words; "McCain will be an American legend because he deserves the admiration.".

GA

1. hard sun profile image78

Hi GA,  I noticed you agreed with part of my statement,  but even that's rare, so good enough for me.

I agree 100% that we should all be so lucky...excellent passage shared by IslandBites. Maybe it says something good about America that so many can still  respect a man like John McCain.

We could agree a lot more often if you just resign yourself to seeing things my way Hard Sun. After all, I am always right. ;-)

I even agree with your closing statement too. See how easy that is. When you are right, you are right.

GA

4. profile image0
      promisemposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Yes, great quote.

I admired his courage and independence in politics. He didn't mindlessly toe the party line.

2. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 5 years ago

Look to John's past , presence and future wherever he now rests to see what a true American and a perfect human being is , His life story is the very meaning of sacrifice to humanity . His Vietnam  experience was as perfect an example of just how extraordinary one man's life can shine in absolute POW solitude . May he finally find perpetual peace in his soul .
    RIP  Sen. John MaCain

Read the book , "Faith of my fathers " to truly know a great man !

3. Credence2 profile image79
    Credence2posted 5 years ago

Duty, Honor, Country.

In modern times, John McCain was the very epitome of those words.

His life and his loss to us all become all the more stark when one considers the dearth of those very principles from our current Commander and Chief.

My condolences to the McCain family, and to all of U.S who value character and courage. May he finally Rest In Peace.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Is there any topic you can't use as a springboard as an insult to Trump?

To the topic. Yes, may Senator McCain rest in peace.

Is there any topic or person that Trump hasn't insulted? McCain will be an American legend because he deserves the admiration. That is despite of Trump.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
          Live to Learnposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I bet you're a hoot at a wake, or a funeral.

Hoot hoot..I like him as a man, always have although I didn't know him personally of course.

2. Credence2 profile image79
        Credence2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Trump attacked McCain in a way no man with McCain's record of service should ever be attacked. It was all below the belt, and it did not make McCain's last days any easier. So, as far as I am concerned criticizing Trump is fair game.

So when I grieve, I grieve for myself and fellow Americans that the standards that McCain stood for are lacking our most powerful leader. That remains unchanged...

1. profile image0

I believe Trump is just playing to his base. There is quite a difference between the comments here and the ones cheering McCain's death on Breitbart.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-governmen … ican-hero/

1. Credence2 profile image79

Promisem, I don't want to come off as petty. I get that in politics, alliances can often change. It was not even attacking McCain for his politics or political position on matters. It was attacking his service as POW and making "light of it". Trump has attacked other deceased veteran families in a callous way. No matter how much we disagree from whatever point of the political spectrum, attacking men and women who make the ultimate sacrifice or as in McCain's case, maintained fidelity during years of captivity by the enemy, is verboten.

So, Trump crossed the line, and so does Breitbart.

I am reminded of the feeling going around during the immediate aftermath of the death of Harry Truman in December, 1972.

An example of an honest and upstanding leader passing away during an administration with scandals just beginning to be revealed. But, at least Nixon was smart enough not to needlessly stir up hornets nests.

1. profile image0

Credence, I don't ever think of you as petty. In fact, I admire your previous post for honoring a Republican whose political beliefs are quite a bit different than your own.

I agree both Trump and Breitbart crossed the line (again), and I agree as well with your point about about Trump attacking his service.

The article, and especially the comments are disgraceful. These people disparaging McCain with personal attacks are not patriots in any way shape or form. And, we have regular posters here who seem to take Breitbart as one of the only sources of real news and American pride. INSANE.

4. Castlepaloma profile image76
    Castlepalomaposted 5 years ago

No comment.

1. profile image0

And the real America has no comment back at you .

1. Castlepaloma profile image76
        Castlepalomaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

If real America is about guns and war, its too soon, could be shot at.

5. JAKE Earthshine profile image66
    JAKE Earthshineposted 5 years ago

https://hubstatic.com/14182323.png

Remember when Bozo disgraced himself and this once great country when he actually said this on national television? I'm sure it's just one of many reasons why Donald is unwelcome at his funeral:

Unlike Bozo Trump, Senator John McCain was a great American hero at least twice, once when he saved our healthcare system by OBSTRUCTING and Halting the inhumane, insane Bozo Trump / republican assault to kill Obamacare which provides millions including children, comprehensive medical treatment, and then again when he served our country bravely in the navy and spent years as a POW which Bozo Trump mocked in an incredible televised display of anti-American cowardice and retardation:

And half the people disparaging him when Trump did voted for him to be President and admitted he was an American hero. But when Trump says he's not then people listen. Odd that way.

1. JAKE Earthshine profile image66
        JAKE Earthshineposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Zombie cult groupies will listen to anything their false prophet charlatan idol says: If they listened to weirdos Marshall Applewhite and Jim Jones as the were led to their doom, I'm sure they'll listen to and blindly follow an ugly, gross 72 year old mental case like Bozo Trump right off the cliff into hell and that's exactly where they are headed especially with Donald officially being named by Michael Cohen, under oath in the presence of a federal judge as an 'un-indicted co-conspirator' the other day:

His days are numbered unless our legal system has become inoperable in this nightmarish era of danger and treachery:

2. GA Anderson profile image84

Hey Jake, see my response to ahorseback. In this case, it fits you too. Have enough respect to give it a break.

GA

3. profile image0

Jake, I agree with GA that this is not the time or place for that type of post.

It's never the time nor place for sabotaging our healthcare system either but that doesn't stop Bozo, and it's never the time or place to commit treachery in Helsinki, or to give trillions of our wealth to Wall Street hoarders so they can ship OUR cash to foreign lands, or to make a jackass out of yourself on national television mocking a great American hero like John McCain or a Gold Star family:

We are in a state of mega-crisis gentlemen and Mr. Trump caused every bit of it and John McCain knew it, hence his demand for the Trump's to stay far away from his funeral: When was the last time a senator or congress-person demanded that a president, in this case an illegitimate president, stay away from his or her funeral: I can't recall a single incident:

The best way to honor a great patriotic hero like John McCain is to do what he did, OBSTRUCT Trump's / republicans crazy radical anti-American agenda:

Wait. wait... I think I am getting it now. Jake and ahorseback are alter-egos .

Now we just have to figure out the real Jim Gordon identity. Could it be Sean Spicer looking for redemption?

But wait, no, even as one-trick pony twins, ahorseback isn't the adjective artist Jake is. So maybe they were twin brothers seperated at birth. Hmm...

Sorry guys. My fault. And my apologies. This comment is substandard. I will try to brace up. It's just that you guys have worn me down. And I don't stand a chance engaging at your level.

https://hubstatic.com/13904384.jpg

Absolutely correct GA: I believe I was the only person around here who PROTESTED a horrible, disgusting discussion board which actually questioned the patriotic loyalty of great American hero John McCain while I'm not sure, but ahorseback probably participated in the despicable discussion:

Hi Jake, I vaguely remember such a thread, but, considering my opinion of John McCain, I can feel certain that you were not the "only" one protesting the thread. I am certain I would have joined that chorus.

To stay with the point of the OP and the thread. I have great respect for John McCain - as an American. His years as a POW earned that, and then his years in government, being a man of principles, (yes, I know those principles failed him at times - Keating Five - but each failure was redeemed by subsequent actions - think McCain-Feingold), affirmed that worthiness.

Here is some red meat for you. I appreciated him most when he refused to follow the party-line and vote for the kill-Obamacare bill - and I am most definitely not an Obamacare supporter. To my mind, it was a terrible bill intended only to be a checkmark for the Republican party - Americans be damned. For that he earned my respect.

Can you address any of these thoughts without a "Bozo Trump" rant?

https://hubstatic.com/13904384.jpg

6. profile image0

GA , If you cannot look to who started the hypocrisy  and judge my response to him as appropriate , if you cannot accept that my post is true , that's your problem and not mine .  Perhaps it's the naked truths that bother you . And I have criticized McCain before because of his aisle crossing , although I consider him to have been the best presidential candidate since Ronald Reagan and voted willingly for him . IT IS however true that democrats have a long record of adopting military  heros after long  disrespecting them .

My truths hit too close to home ?

No ahorseback, your "truths" don't hit too close to home. And my admonishment to you, applies to me also. This isn't the thread to tell you what did hit too close to home.

Islandbite's McCain quote was a suiting tribute. Let's let that carry the thread.

GA

7. profile image0

So let me get this straight ,You're sayin  the same party politics and ideologies  that spit on , threw rotten fruit and vegetables  at , threw collected urine at returning Vietnam veterans while protesting the war , NO MATTER WHAT THE TROOPS PARTY WERE  in the airports in 1967-8-9  are now lovers of our veterans .

Where is Jane fonda , she remembers !
    I'm know the "grunts" do too , they were my brothers .

8. hard sun profile image78
    hard sunposted 5 years ago

"CNN has reported that McCain chose Barack Obama and George W. Bush -- the two men who kept him from the White House -- to eulogize him and didn't want the President to attend his funeral. If those plans hold, McCain will be sending a clear final message to Trump, after making clear when he was alive that he saw the President's demeanor, populist style and global outlook as antithetical to America's founding values and global role."

If this is true, it says McCain doesn't want the world to forget what he thought about Trump. I don't want this to turn into a Trump bashing session either....we have plenty of threads for that.

However, Mr. McCain may wan't his view on Trump to be part of his legacy for a reason. As is selfless behavior pattern suggests, it may be because he wants Trump to be an example on how President's must not behave in order to preserve our standing and our greatness.

I appreciated McCain most when he was explaining world affairs as no other presidential candidate could. Also, statements such as this,  ""What do you think the message is? the message is that America doesn't want to lead," McCain said about Trump's statement, according to The Guardian. " He understood the dangers of isolationism in today's world.

WHY on Earth would anyone want a soulless, disgraceful, anti-American traitor at their funeral anyway? ESPECIALLY at a Christian Funeral which is the first step in a journey toward reaching heaven? A critical step which according to my bible, will inevitably trigger Bozo Trump's swift journey to the depths of the abyss when his time comes?

It appears as if the good lord is re-assuming control of our planet and with this move comes the white house wrath to purge the dark forces which have enveloped it:

BTW hard sun, I disagree with you on this one, there are way too many breitbart, fox propaganda channel and Alex Jones type threads around here and way too few threads which expose Bozo Trump for what he truly is:

I think we do a decent job of calling out the falsehoods though.

9. profile image0

In politics when you have two grandstanders on one podium , one of them has to go . On the sunday morning "Coffee Mug "talk shows Trump impeachment  was mentioned dozens of time while they were all lamenting Sen, McCain and his memory ?

Really ? Like I said , for " Liberals  "Adopt -A Hero " is the new cause.

Just make sure it's part of impeachment ,Identity politics anyone ?

10. profile image0

INSANE , great , One more word added to the ever increasingly varied list of names for Trump supporters ;
    Nazis, racists , bigots ,  misogynists , fascists ,  KKK, skinheads  ,
    nationalists , let's see ,........now insanity ......... And you of all people dissing "personal attacks against McCain" ?
    Better go back and read your Alinsky manual again  , you missed an important chapter .

What about the article and the comments? I think Papa John got kind of a bad wrap but these people not so much. So, what ya think?

11. profile image0

John McCain was a dire enemy to all liberals when he ran for president against the The Anointed One Obama ,  Not in fact until he voted to keep Obamacare was he even accepted as a viable independent ,  NOW however ,   because he's dead and  your party can get another possible "mile or two per gallon" in political capital  by" party-adopting a hero" ? McCain is an instant hero ?

The "New Low " is your party's Hard sun but the new low is nothing  new for democrats .    I actually can't wait to see what your party has in store for GW  Bush when the time comes ?  I mean doesn't GW Bush mountain-bike with disabled vets ?   Get your trophy's ready .

Oh. Well thanks for that in-depth analysis. Ok, so, what do you think about all those comments? You approve?

12. profile image0

John McCain was a dire enemy to all liberals when he ran for president against the The Anointed Obama ,  Not in fact until he voted to keep Obamacare was he even accepted as a viable independent ,  NOW however ,   because he's dead and  your party can get another possible "mile or two per gallon" in political capital  by" party-adopting a hero" ? McCain is an instant hero ?

The "New Low " is your party's Hard sun but the new low is nothing  new for democrats .    I actually can't wait to see what your party has in store for GW  Bush when the time comes ?  I mean doesn't GW Bush mountain-bike with disabled vets ?   Get your trophy's ready .

That is what I like about you, Horse, you have this uncanny ability to ferret out the most subtle of distinctions.

Mc Cain was not the enemy of all liberals. At least he was a MAN with a valid claim to desire to lead based on his example and service, not like the clown we have in the White Hous now.

I am a progressive liberal and my ideals did not mesh with his in 2008, nor in 2018. He was so exemplary during his 2008 campaign as to how he ran it, that in a different reality, I could have voted for him.

As Mc Cain so eloquently said to a woman attacking Obama, "we simply have different views as to the best course to take to resolving national issues".

I can respect that, his qualifications as a leader were never questioned, but as for his running mate........

Well said. I don't often have the will to explain these things to Horse any longer.

Point well taken, HS.

You can lead a Horse to water.....but..

13. profile image0

You mean about McCain Choosing Obama and GWB?

I'll take that as a yes..seems about right. Stay proud

14. profile image0

IN my opinion John McCain was an independent when it suited him , a democrat when he wanted and a republican when he was angry ,   I personally like McCain , read his history , his  writings and articles .  But in truth McCain was a democrat a little  too often especially when it came to protecting the D.C. "swamp" . I also believed that he sabotaged his own campaign  , as if he didn't really want to be president after all . Why ? Now I wonder how long he's really been sick.  I did however vote for McCain /Palin ticket .

What about the comments? What about attacking his service that kind of thing? Why do you not want to answer that simple question? Is it because Trump attacked his service and you just cannot bring yourself to state ANYTHING  negative about Trump or what Trump has said.

15. profile image0

I believe absolute  hero that  was John McCain , he thought that the Tea Party would get him elected and in turn likely became bitter that that same mixed and middle America voted for someone like Trump . I have said hundreds of times , I don't like Trump , as a person I generally dislike most  "silver spooners " , guess what Trump is one and in his own way ,so was McCain . 

Read McCains' Faith of our Fathers ' and come to know just how magnificently a man can evolve from a  military brat silver spooner to a happenstance POW and onward to today to become  a leader of men . McCain was-- in the end -- one of our very finest leaders .
    a great aisle crosser .

Back to Trump , In a perfect world John McCain would have been a awesome  two term president and perhaps America would have voted him a third term and today we wouldn't have to settle for a Trump ?  But it isn't a perfect world , it isn't a perfect government , congress or senate .............we get what we get  and today Trump is the president , Time for the one half of America to "get over " the other half  and move on , at least to 2020 ........2024 anyone ?

Time to shut up and not complain about a president. Is that what you're saying? Hell, you still complain about Obama and Hillary, and she was never President. I voted for Obama and still complained about him when I felt it warranted. I'm just not sure where you're going with the "get over" statement. No dissent now that Trump is president?

1. profile image0

Just  please make your media stop the incessant democratic guilt complex , Your party couldn't will it all, spend it all , entitle it all , legislate it all into Venezuela , Denmark or Bernie Sanders Norway.  You Failed , Get over yourselves and begin formulating a strategy for tomorrow and not an apology tour for yesterday .

Try to imagine how confusing it is for your younger generations , The democrats are all acting like divorcing parents  hogging the kids on weekends and guilt-shaming each other during the weekdays . Formulate a plan !

I don't even know what conversation you're having. My media, what? I never ran for office so don't need to formulate a plan and I never divorced so I don't know about all that drama.

All I know is a horse isn't going to tell me I can't complain about the president no matter what it thinks. And that's EXACTLY what you're saying..no dissent. go live in Russia.

2. Credence2 profile image79

YOU don't like Trump? Now that is rich....

Most successful politicians are "silver spooners" relative to the rest of us. Being wealthy does not have to mean being a jerk. Mc Cain was the product of generations of military men. He went to Annapolis and earned his Navy commission, no silver spoon there.

Anyone can be captured but not compromising and submitting to the enemy who was not making things comfortable for Mc Cain during his captivity, is the point.

Mc Cain was a Repub, but he put principle above lockstep adherence to the party line.

I still reserve the right to dissent, just as you always did during the Obama Presidency. You don't mind, do you?

There is not reason to say that McCain would not have made a great President. There is the 22nd Amendment, so no three term office holders.

1. profile image0

Maybe you're losing your memory , before Trump won I told you all I didn't like him . You forget perhaps , no surprise there , though its no  party secret democrats  have no political memory  .

McCain was far more an independent by the way ,  even then you hated him , remember ? He was that .........." wacked out  , mentally unstable ex-POW veteran " , I remember  even though democrats here have conveniently forgotten {again }.

Now of course he's the DNC's hero that justifiably hated Trump , for the political capital of course !

God , You guys "forget" so easily !
        Worry not , I'll remind you !

I am beating a dead Horse?

You practically fellate the man. When have you criticized him, ever?

Your account of us All hating McCain, you have yet to demonstrate. Is it just because we voted for Obama in 2008?

There are a LOT of people that don't care for Donald Trump, nothing in unusual there.

1. profile image0

You all said then that McCain was a "loose cannon" , "deranged " was written right here ,over and over again  ,  That ...."he spent too long in solitary " "No one who was a POW for five years could ever be right in the head ".............Who exactly are you trying to kid Credence ?
            I was there too,  remember ?

I bet if I went back I could find you speaking those very lines . so don't go all holier than thou on us please .  It just makes me sick that democrats are now all" feeling the love " for John McCain ...........Pleeeaase !

1. profile image0
              La Veeztaposted 5 years agoin reply to this

How about the media, they love him now he is dead, but remember this in 2008:

The media treated McCain as a nutty old coot intent on launching us into war, a not-so-closeted racist, a sexist. He was a threat to the United States, as opposed to that nice uniter, Barack Obama. And he was a fool, too: while he suspended his campaign to go back to Washington, D.C. in the aftermath of the financial meltdown of 2008, Barack Obama called together a listening table and then did nothing. That showed that Obama was a steward of the future, while McCain was merely an outdated relic of the past. Then there was Sarah Palin, McCain's running mate. Her selection didn't alleviate accusations of McCain's sexism and battiness.

To leave the media off the hook when it comes to their treatment of McCain is to ignore history.

The media regained its love for McCain only when Donald Trump began his rise. McCain’s refusal to bow before Trump turned on the same media that had TORN McCain TO SHREDS in 2008. And after his death, the media are using McCain as a club with which to smash President Trump. That’s the only reason the media has anything good to say about McCain now.

Maybe that media really is the enemy of the people, or  people really embrace a two faced media that is really the political right hand of the Democrat party. Yeah, that’s what people just love.

16. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 5 years ago

I certainly do not profess to be a person who always takes the high road, but this thread is highly disturbing. We can't even agree that McCain was a dedicated and patriotic hero and public servant without questioning the motives of "the other side"?  Wow.

1. profile image0

Oh, you ain't seen nothing yet. Just go to the Breitbart page I posted above.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-governmen … ican-hero/

Promised, neither have you. Right after you thought you have seen it all, the prime example of disrespect and pettiness from our President is on display for the entire world to see.

An excerpt from a Yahoo article:
        ---------
        President Trump reversed course Monday, ending his conspicuous silence about the death of his political rival Sen. John McCain.

The American flag over the White House, which was lowered to half-staff after McCain’s death Saturday evening, was raised again a day later, in what was widely viewed, and protested by veterans’ groups, as a sign of disrespect.

In a statement Monday, Trump backed down, without addressing the controversy. “Despite our differences on policy and politics, I respect Senator John McCain’s service to our country and, in his honor, have signed a proclamation to fly the flag of the United States at half-staff until the day of his interment,” Trump said in his statement.

--------

Geez, just how dumb can you get?

Credence,
          It gets worse. I was watching the news and a Breaking News scroll came at the bottom of the screen. Apparently Trump said, "All these people are pretending to respect John McCain because they want to get back at me." How despicable. He makes everything about himself.

He wasn't invited to Barbara Bush's funeral either. Nobody wants to be embarrassed by him.

And as far as the political opinions of McCain, he did a lot in his career. Many liked some of what he did, or disliked some of what he did. Normal, intelligent people change their minds and evolve over time. You don't have to agree with everything a person does in order to respect them. Attacking someone after they die is a new low though.

Jean,

This is where the psychiatrist sofa comes in. Why does everything he gets involved in turns to caca?

You don't have to let the whole world know that you have the mindset and judgement of an overgrown toddler.

Where are his handlers? Who was negligent with the leash or muzzle?

There is a consistent and troubling pattern to his behavior that he confirms  each and everytime. I have to be afraid of such a man, lacking the basic temperament to be President, having his finger on the 'button' and being trusted to run it all.

I agree. He seems to be getting more erratic and petulant in the last few weeks. Today he apparently spent time Googling himself, and of course, now has a "new enemy"-Google. They are "rigged" against him, like so many other people and organizations.

All the handlers can't handle him. Anyone around him has to feed his narcissism. It's scary. I think he's unstable enough to be removed from office. But he's made such a mess of the Republican party, they are scared to death and just think about their own political careers. The only ones who will speak the truth of how bad it is are not running for office.

I can't even name one good thing he's done so far, and the damage he's done will take years to fix.

1. profile image0

"........the damage he's done , It'll take years to fix ".......Yea , the "years to fix' comes to mind when I think about Obama's national debt !   

Spending more than ALL 43 Presidents before him on OUR credit card ? Think that'll get fixed this year , next year , the year after ?

2. profile image0
                PrettyPantherposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I and many others have been saying he is unfit for office since before he was elected. He continues to prove us right. His supporters, who were taken in by a lying com man, and who continue to defend him, scare me more, though. They have voting power.

1. wilderness profile image94
                  wildernessposted 5 years agoin reply to this

LOL  You folks are comical.  You offered up the worst candidate in the history of the country and then say Trump voters were "taken in" because they didn't choose the far worse option.  Funny!

(will you repeat the process in a couple of years, groaning that Trump is still in office when there is no opposition, or will you offer a viable candidate this time?  Time will tell...)

But Bozo Trump is and was the worst possible candidate in history, he proves that every single day while disrespecting our veterans and military heroes like John McCain CONSTANTLY, and the ongoing criminal investigations are digging into the unprecedented corruption and lies:

Everyone who understands and accepts the facts knows the only reason why he's now polluting our oval office apparently wandering around in a little tizzy panic stewing over all his monstrous impending legal woes is because Vladimir Putin hacked our election in his favor and they're at it again according to reports:

2. profile image0

I realize it's all a matter of opinion but I believe the clock is ticking and Trump will prove to be the most corrupt, most incompetent president in modern history. Enjoy your laugh while you can.

BTW, I didn't "offer up" Hillary as I voted for Bernie.

2. profile image0

Another "wow."

Most of us agreed...I only see one person here that didn't. Edit..maybe two.

17. profile image0

You mean , Just go to  CNN, Msnbc , ABC , the usuals ten years ago if you want to see Sen. McCain  roasted , no actually hated by the typical anti-establishment liberal party media ?

Yet Demobrats now take the high road ?    Next month McCain to the anti- war crowd of today  will be totally forgotten .

18. profile image0

You mean , Just go to  CNN, Msnbc , ABC , the usuals ten years ago if you want to see Sen. McCain  roasted , no actually hated by the typical anti-establishment liberal party media ?

Yet Demobrats now take the high road ?    Next month Sen. McCain to the anti- war crowd of today  will be totally forgotten .

19. profile image0

Liberals grasp onto hypocrisy and wear it like the cross of gallantry that Sen. McCain actually was ALL deserving of .  Perhaps McCain could be viewed as a reluctant hero , I met him oncein a local diner  and never got close enough to shake the hand of the candidate I was voting for but I swear he looked right at me smiled and waved as I did !

Liberals blatant hypocrisy can make all of us sick to our stomachs  if we listen too much  and they either willingly ignore it's presense or use it as a broadsword in identity politics ,  one or the other .   I do believe that McCain knew liberals better than many in DC . I wonder what he'd say today as they blather over themselves paying tribute , when in 2008 the called him " Too old , too white and too conservative " ?

20. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 5 years ago

Oh, my. It seems you two don't understand the concept that a person can be criticized for one thing and praised for another, and that two individuals can view the same characteristics or behavior as good or bad, depending on their points of view.

For example, I view McCain's choice of Sarah Palin for his running mate as a desperate political move that failed while others think it was a brilliant choice. On the other hand, his answer to the woman who feared Obama revealed his inner integrity shining through the negative politics. He was a good and honest man who put country over self, even if I disagreed with many of his.policy positions.

It is ridiculous to believe that one cannot disagree with or criticize a person and still greatly admire and respect them. Of course, being able to see this requires that you be capable of viewing those with whom YOU disagree with in a positive light. I have seen none of that ability in either of you (granted, as viewed only from the limited lens of an internet forum).

Right on...this all seems so obvious. Senator McCain understood this:

"“John McCain supporter Gayle Quinnell told the crowd at a McCain Rally in Minnesota that Obama is an Arab.” McCain took away the microphone but failed to address Quinnell’s unabashed bigotry or the incidents of anti-Arab, anti-Muslim and anti-African American bigotry that has become an increasingly regular feature of GOP rallies as the election draws near. “No ma’am,” he says. “[Obama’s] a decent family man, citizen, that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues.”

This is one reason why I respected him then, and I respect him now

+1

21. profile image0

It's only the "swamp" presidents that need or acquire "handlers " for the Obamaesque smoothness in rhetoric ,  Look at Trump as the  learning on the  job when it comes to demobrat's favorite leadership characteristic  -polish -.

So trump is uncouth , so he's sharp edged , so he's ill mannered.
    Trump is five times the leader in political accomplishment that Pres.Obama or GW Bush was  and at least ten times more advanced than Hillary would have been . Advice for Demobrats ;   Look to the details and ignore your usual focus on image .

Evolve with us .

I thought you didn't like Trump? Evolve with us to be uncouth and ill mannered, lol. More like devolve with us, sorry, I'll do me and if I get uncouth at times than so be it..I don't need guidance from Trump, you, or a formerly conservative party...or any party for that matter.

Look to the details of what..he's done nada. He even had to admit his NK trip was a failure. Something else.

1. profile image0

Wow , You really do ignoreTrump wins , even with ALL the media bias , his accomplishments in office , Once again  overshadowing the entire Obama legacy , It's almost like Obama did all of his best work at night where even the media was sleeping .

22. profile image0

So Jake let me explain what real war heros are in John McCain's day ,      They are still walking the streets NOT QUITE forgotten by your party but almost  , certainly not glorified because they declared their party wrong when they ran for office . Real war hero's have likely NEVER seen a Media camera waiting for them at the white house .

Real heros served in silence , came how without body parts or if at all laid down in eternal rest , went to work as mechanics , carpenters and welders ,     they haven't served MUCH  in the halls of senate , congress or "saved  Obamacare " for the entitled  .

https://hubstatic.com/14186887_f1024.jpg

I know many Viet vets who were never keen on SEN. McCain from the start ,civilian  John McCain is a different story ,   they have their own code of honor to hero worshipping and weren't treated with the same reverence  as a POLITICAL  hero .    It's not EVER too late liberals , find a Vietnam vet  , shake their hand and thank them for their service , If the grumble like an old soldier and say FU , so be it . But learn the definition of a real war hero for once .

What about the Vietnam Vets that are liberals and hate Trump? I think you need to take a break horsey. Some people don't like Trump and think McCain was a hero...it's ok. Seriously, your level of hate is almost surreal. Just step away from the computer and/or TV for a few days. It will likely do you some good.

1. profile image0

And you sir know not of which you speak , either what I believe in or what the Vietnam vets do .   Of course there are democratic vets ,   of course some think McCain a hero .    But liberals who just learned his name and history FOR THE SAKE  OF TRUMP BASHING like those here  , know nothing of him.

That is the greater shame .    I will still likely be here when you all give up on your political  fad of Trump obstructing and TDS FAKE hero worship games .   Maybe it's you who should give yourself  a rest .

Take it easy horsey, I swear, you need to take a brake...the devolution in your posts is troublesome. We are all Americans no matter what someone is trying to tell you. If we were neighbors, you might like me, until you learned I voted Democrat last election.                                                                                                                                                                     Chill pill.

2. JAKE Earthshine profile image66

hard sun: What some don't seem to realize is that the overwhelming majority of republican veterans can't stand Donald Trump either:

1. profile image0

Alt reality Jake , Go there , they await you !

I live among, and have family, who this applies to Jake. Meaning Republicans who don't like Trump and do like McCain

3. JAKE Earthshine profile image66

hard sun, I think some zombie brain washed conservatives around here might be suffering from a severe case of "TWD" "Trump Worship Disorder":

Sure do Jake.

"I sell the things you need to be
          I'm the smiling face on your T.V.
          I'm the cult of personality
          I exploit you still you love me

I tell you one and one makes three
          I'm the cult of personality
          Like Joseph Stalin and Gandhi
          I'm the cult of personality"

lol, clowns of a feather: "spaceship of salvation": remember this lost soul who probably new he was going to hell in a hand basket and decided to try and take as many gullible fans as possible with him in that horrific mass incident? Imagine if he had the global audience Donald now has:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6IAf_y8pQc

Ha ha, Heavan's Gate. Yep, I remember that guy..he lead them to a spaceship alright.

Here's a snippet of your video link for reflection purposes:

"They quickly determine that their so brilliant that they can judge it as being not what they're looking for, worthless, some radical movement, some um movement that certainly is beneath them....Let me tell you about a kingdom level beyond here, if you want to go there then you have to follow me cause I'm the guy that's got the key at the moment."

---This reminds me of the Trump video of his meeting with evangelicals yesterday. He is working through God to take America to a higher level and the Lord works in mysterious ways through those who are perhaps full of sin. But, he is the vessel, there's no questioning that...unless you're one of those elitists who thinks they're brilliant

Just accept it and he will come into your heart..lol.

Funny, Trump has been complaining about Google lately. Maybe there is a problem with their algorithm, every time I type in "a$$hole" a picture of Trump appears.....

Now that's funny..I don't care who you are...I would have said the same if you replace that with Obama (even if I think it untrue)...how many Trump supporters here can honestly laugh at this?

23. profile image0

Two things , The new liberals in America today have one kind of patriotism  , I call them "Parade Patriots " -    As long as it includes fireworks , a paid day or two off and cotton candy , they love the soldier parades .   

And it truth , its not even patriotism as much as it is hero -envy ,   
    Today the News Media is foaming at the mouth with hero envy and Parade Patriotism for Sen,McCain .  Tomorrow they will have forgotten their entire Trump impeachment reason #  191 ,Trump -  McCain disrespect .

BUT much worse , They will return Sen.McCain and ALL war heros to their collective toy chests until another Trump Impeachment reason is needed in the heat of the political fire . Just as they do with ALL military related issues .

24. profile image0

Hard sun , As in all Trump Resistance , The ones who need the "chill pill " are ALL in your party .   " Take a break ' ?  I have never been more sure of where the Democratic party is leading itself in America in my entire life . In the last ten years  your party has opening revealed and embraced  , actually" coming out of the closet " as to it's lack of party patriotism for America .  Remember as is happening to many , many of your party today ,  I was once a democrat [a liberal ] , too long ago to be ashamed of it today but still
    conscious and knowing enough of your ideology to know the hidden agendas .

At least I'm mature enough to know real patriotism from the "parade patriotism " of you and your party's , There is no anger on my part however , as you'd like to believe ,    there is only a quiet resolve to save America from the incessantly naivete of the new entitlement party  , the old democratic party .
    And , We will win the war in America  .

"We will win the war in America "

Chill bruh, lol

25. profile image0

I would love to say that my hope is that many many in the new democratic party mature just as history has proven , By becoming more conservative as they age . Of course political maturity and physiological aging are two separate elements TO aging , either one may or may not happen given the democratic party's identity today.

Funny about that, the older I get, the more liberal I become.... I used to believe in the rules - rightwing lockstep propaganda from certain mouthpieces  and did not know any better.

1. profile image0

At least we've all come to know exactly which party tows the line to traditional America  and which party is willing to sell it's soul off cheaply .   I do appreciate all that you have offered up in explaining how your party's "coming out of the closet " in pushing towards
        a new socialism for America though .
        Thank you for that .

"Of course political maturity and physiological aging are two separate elements TO aging"

We can agree on that. My humble opinion is political maturity leads to some views being moderated a bit, not further radicalized. America needs moderation and civility right now...two things we are not going to get out orfthe current leader...maybe not out of whoever the Dems put out there in 2020 either...I will wait to see on that.

Civility starts at the top. Not getting it from there and then asking it from others is authoritarian style leadership. This is why the man upsets so many. Lead by example.

26. profile image0

Hard sun ",Civility and moderation "  from your party ? You really are hitting the hilarious button with that one .  Especially when you say it comes from the top down  ! We disagree on that , our chosen leadership ,hence representative republic, is from the bottom up . WHATEVER the national mood it begins in the streets and moves upwards to those offices .

Trump is a result of the national mood NOT a originator of it . I'm surprised that I have to explain that to you.   This entire rejection of  the hardcore D.C. swampisms BY VOTERS is  where Trump came from , Do you really believe Trump came out of nowhere and created this movement ?   

Credence , That would be funny for all of us had you not borrowed that line with an exchanged word or two from  conservatives after Obama was elected  , I think the line USED to be , "I google up Socialist Dictator and Obama came up ".

Couldn't get past first sentence horse. "Your party" no..you got it all messed up already.

1. profile image0

The truth is always hard for modern demo-socialists  to accept . Always has been .

Back to slug bug I see horsey..no slugs back. I'm about as not modern as it gets...you know the saying about assuming. I don't care about your neo blah blah social theory that pertains to nothing. I don't like Trump..here's a tissue.

You sound like those elitist liberals I always hear about.

1. profile image0

Keep the tissue ,  are you at the end of the box yet ?

Yup, I gave em all to you when you discovered your social theories are elitist BS without the education

1. profile image0

Keep your degrees ,One doesn't need to be too smart to recognize someone that doesn't have a clue about politics , just common sense.

Common sense is clearly not so common anymore..Must suck to have no education or sense huh?---Your dime-store wanna-be-elitist social theories are as weak as Trump's foreign policy..having fun yet? You keep politics in a box that you think everyone fits neatly into..clearly no knowledge there. Slug bug

1. profile image0

Common sense is only missing to those who deliberately evade it . Or never had it to begin with  , which were you now?

Never mind , I already know.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)