A Letter From A Birmingham Jail

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image88
    GA Andersonposted 4 years ago

I have held off for four days, but, I was so impressed I had to relent and post a comment about it.

Of course, I am speaking of Martin Luther King Jr.'s letter. I was familiar, (as I think most are), with various quotes from the letter, such as; "justice too long delayed is justice denied . . . " and others, but I am chastized to admit that I had never read the actual letter.

Now I have. My opinion of MLK has soared. Imagine, from a jail cell with no Google or reference library to confirm his memory of quotes, and no taint of animosity for the situation of writing from a jail cell, and speaking to clergy that he rightfully would have expected to support him; his eloquence and depth of thought are nothing short of astounding.

Come on folks, give it a read. Tell what you think. Am I exaggerating the force that was Martin Luther King Jr.?

A Letter From A Birmingham Jail

GA

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

What could have possibly possess you to introduce so prickly pear of a topic for so many that just as soon no have their world disturbed on this fine Sunday morning?

I have been busy staying 2 steps ahead of Dorian, quite the blowhard.

You are not becoming "militant" are you.

One thing for certain, Dr. King's jailers did not deny him plenty of pen and paper.
      --------------------
      "Lamentably, it is an historical fact that privileged groups seldom give up their privileges voluntarily. Individuals may see the moral light and voluntarily give up their unjust posture; but, as Reinhold Niebuhr has reminded us, groups tend to resist."

"We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed".

These are important observations that has application over social economic struggles as well. That is why one must be suspicious of the fox telling the chickens how to best organize their coop.
      -----------------
      when you suddenly find your tongue twisted and your speech stammering as you seek to explain to your six year old daughter why she can't go to the public amusement park that has just been advertised on television, and see tears welling up in her eyes when she is told that Funtown is closed to colored children, and see ominous clouds of inferiority beginning to form in her little mental sky, and see her beginning to distort her personality by developing an unconscious bitterness toward white people; when you have to concoct an answer for a five year old son who is asking: "Daddy, why do white people treat colored people so mean?"

I could have been either of  "those kids". But I am now a happy warrior. In all fairness, the "South" of today, is on the whole, quite delightful. People here seem more authentic than in other regions of the country. Regarding race relations, they are no worse than other parts of the country. Many more embraced the changes in a more heartfelt way, rather than a mere superficial accommodation. Coming from the West, I could make objective comparisons.
      ------------------

"I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection."

That is my problem with "moderates". What possible use would I have for a sink full of dish soap, when changes are needed that may well "upset the apple cart"?

1. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 4 years agoin reply to this

https://hubstatic.com/14662116.png

The point is L to L, who asked you?

Your knee jerk reaction and attitudes in regards to this topic you have made quite clear.

2. profile image0
          PrettyPantherposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Wow, that's....I don't have words to describe how small this is.

2. GA Anderson profile image88
        GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think you ended your comment with some mixed-up aphorisms Cred. What does dish soap have to do with an apple cart? Or with "white moderates"?

But, MLK Jr.'s "white moderates" condemnations did give me pause.

GA

Moderates in principle are akin to a sink full of dish soap, milquetoast in the situation where committed objectives and action is required. ( I guess that I made it up)

The apple cart is the status quo. King was very eloquent in explaining that he received "plenty" of "good will" as long as he did nothing to make change happen. Those were the white moderates. I criticize a great deal of the current Democratic hopefuls for President for the same thing.

Yes bud, I can see that you "made that up," but take a bit of advice--it is not your forte. ;-)

As for the "moderates" thing, I am waffling, I will hold to a belief in the value of moderate views, but I will strive to avoid moderate, (as in half-steppin') actions.

For instance; relative to his lamenting the lack of action from white moderate politicians, I would adopt your description of "milquetoast" as an appropriate description.

I will hold onto my perception of the value of moderate views, but I will not tolerate milquetoast actions relative to those views.

GA

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 4 years ago

Martin Luther King, Jr. was an extraordinary man of great conviction and courage.

I think most of us also hold that thought, but I had no idea of the caliber of his mind before reading this letter.

My intent wasn't to promote any particular aspect of his letter, it was to recognize a superior perspective. No complaint about being jailed. No expressed animosity for a lack of support from 'brothers of the cloth', and no harsh words for his struggle, just an elegant explanation of position.

As mentioned, I held off for four days, but I was just too impressed not to comment and acknowledge the force of the mind that wrote it.

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)