America?

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (29 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 4 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/14277947_f1024.jpg
    Do you believe that America is THE GREATEST country?  Why?  Why not?

1. TessSchlesinger profile image60
      TessSchlesingerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

First let's define terms.

Most countries have good and bad.

What makes a country great? I have no idea.

America definitely has the greatest military on earth.

And an intake of immigrants has ensured that it has won most of the Nobel prizes. However, as these people were generally not educated in America, I'm not sure that one can say Americans won the most Nobel prizes.

The happiest countries in the world are:

Finland
      Denmark
      Norway
      Iceland
      The Netherlands
      Switzerland
      Sweden
      New Zealand
      Canada
      Austria

https://www.inc.com/melanie-curtin/the- … to-un.html

The healthiest countries in the world are:

Spain
      Italy
      Iceland
      Japan
      Switzerland
      Sweden
      Australia
      Singapore
      Norway
      Israel

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-worlds … es-ranked/

The friendliest countries in the world are:

Portugal. 94 percent of expats say the country has a friendly attitude towards out-of-towners.
      Taiwan. 86 percent of expats say the country has a friendly attitude towards out-of-towners. ...
      Mexico. 87 percent of expats say the country has a friendly attitude towards out-of-towners. ...
      Cambodia. ...
      Bahrain. ...
      Costa Rica. ...
      Oman. ...
      Colombia. ..

https://www.farandwide.com/s/friendlies … b2420147d7

The most free countries in the world are:

New Zealand (8.7), the Netherlands (8.5), and Hong Kong SAR, (8.3).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Index_of_ … _the_World

The countries with the most equality

1. Sweden
      2. Hungry
      3. Norway
      4. Czech Republic
      5. Malta
      6. Luxenbourg
      7. Slovakia
      8. Austria

https://www.businessinsider.com/the-11- … gini-270-1

The most technologically advanced countries in the world are:
      1.Japan.
      2.United States. ...
      3.South Korea. ...
      4.Israel. ...
      5.Germany. ...
      6.Russia. ...
      7.Finland. ...
      8. United Kingdom. ...

http://en.protothema.gr/12-most-technol … ld-photos/

Best countries in the world

Switzerland.
      Japan. ...
      Canada. ...
      Germany. ...
      United Kingdom. ...
      Sweden. ...
      Australia. ...
      United States. ...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/23/us-news … 2019-.html

So what do you mean by the greatest country in the world?

1. Eastward profile image79
        Eastwardposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'd agree that this topic is very subjective. Any of these categories leave a lot of room for discussion.

In what way? Have you looked at how those categories were arrived at? I don't do opinion because I believe opinion to be worthless.

Sure. I didn't mean the particular category results were in question though I'm sure additional studies could be done with different but relevant metrics (and possibly different results). As you said, what is it that makes a country great? One person might consider greatness being at the top of the happiness index while another might consider greatness being the country with the highest percentage of civilians with guns. It certainly takes all kinds. But yes, no matter how you are defining greatness, if it's just opinion, it's not of much value to anyone else.

Okay. I'm cool with that. Thanks for clarifying.  smile

You're most welcome smile Thanks for doing the homework on that one!

2. abwilliams profile image69
      abwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

How much time and room do you have for me to explain just how much I love the United States of America?

I have memories and goose bump moments which go back to my childhood; singing patriotic songs in school, the county fair excitement of local and National elections, being a part of patriotic parades.
      Being a part of the bicentennial parades which took place at Disney World in 1976, representing one of our Founding Fathers, Benjamin Franklin, on my (his) very own float. Following the Betsy Ross float, surrounded by minutemen.

Present day, an example of my pride for this Country, comes from Rush Limbaugh's radio show. He has raised millions of dollars with the sale of a Betsy Ross t-shirt. (yes....Betsy Ross, where do you think this idea came from?) All profits go to the Tunnels to Towers Foundation to honor our military and first responders. The money raised from the sale of t-shirts, jackets, etc. has built homes for Gold Star Families. Those military families that have sacrificed life or limb for this Country.
      Tunnels to Towers was started by brother of firefighter Stephen Siller, last seen running through the tunnels of New York to the towers, ready to lay down his life to save people during the horrific attack on our homeland, if that's what it took, and sadly, it was!
      My God the sacrifices that were made that day to save as many as humanly possible. I believe American spirit and American sacrifice is unprecedented!
      Studying history and the many sacrifices made in order for us to live free, not under a king, not under tyranny, not as slaves, should give Americans goose bumps every day they have the privilege to wake up in this exceptional Country. I know it does me and I know it does those that have worked to get here legally, in order to become United States citizens.

I'll end it here, before it turns into my next hub. smile

gmwilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I want you to make a hub out of your response, please.  Such a hub will be interesting to read.

1. abwilliams profile image69

Done.

Thank you, I will read your beautiful hub.  I have read this beautiful hub.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Of the 196 countries in the world, 184 of them are free. Why do you think that America is the only free country in the world? That blows my mind.

It's number 17 in terms of freedom.

https://reason.com/2018/01/31/sadly-ame … ountry-in/

The most free countries in the world are.

1. Hong Kong.
        2. Switzerland.
        3. New Zealand.
        4. Ireland.
        5. Denmark
        6. Canada, United Kingdom, Australia,
        7. Finland
        8. Netherlands.

In order to be considered free, there has to be laws that allow people to do things, etc. So these are absolute measurements - not what people think.

I worked thee legally as a legal immigrant for 11 years. I have never felt less safe or less free in any country in the world, and I have lived and worked in many countries.

2. Readmikenow profile image93
    Readmikenowposted 4 years ago

I will always think the United States is the best country in the world.  My family and my wife's family came here from the Ukraine.  I went to visit there in the 1970s when it was part of the Soviet Union. I took for granted many of the things I had in the United States. Most Americans have NO idea what life was like for Ukrainians at that time.  I've been there a few times since then.  It is MUCH better there now, but still has a way to go.

I've lived in other countries.  Because of a job, I spent time in England and Germany.  I even lived for a period of time in Argentina as well as in Japan.

They all had good things about them, but they weren't the United States.  I've visited New Zealand, Australia, China, as well as South Africa and India.  Nice places, but I still prefer the United States.

I've never seen a place where "legal" immigrants like my family and my wife's family could succeed so well.  We had a member of our family come here in the 1990s and eventually became a citizen.  There are some Americans who are angry at how well he has done for himself, he doesn't understand why all Americans don't succeed like he has done. 

It has its problems, but I've never seen a country that didn't have its problems.  I've never been to a country that didn't have people complaining about the government.  All of them have bad things in their history and things their people don't like about them.  So, it is just the way of life.

Yeah, I think the United States is the greatest country in the world.  Then, I believe everyone from every country should believe THEIR country is the greatest country in the world.

What you say is subjective, and the reason your family succeeded would depend on a lot of things.
      1. At what period they entered the USA. If they entered prior to the 80s, it was a lot easier.
      2. What level of education they had and what skills they brought with them.
      3. What sort of money they had to start.
      4. Whether they had an existing network in the States, etc.
      5. What services were offered to them as immigrants - Bill Clinton shut all those down.

One summer does not a summer make, and one person's personal experience does not determine whether a country is the best in the world.

The fact that you don't know of any country in the world where legal immigrants can succeed as well as your family has is indicative of how little you know about other countries. America has the least social mobility of any country in the world, and the fact that you don't know about it has a lot to do with your lack of knowledge and little to do with your own experience.

You're right that there isn't a country where people don't complain about their government. You're right when you say that every country has its good and bad.

But if you want to claim that your country is the greatest country in the world, you have to provide empirical evidence for it. An opinion and a feeling is worthless.

I'm a little tired of people assuming that they can make a statement without providing empirical evidence.

Where is the evidence that the uSA is the greatest country in the world. IT's not about your belief. It's about the facts, and those facts need to be proven.

1. Readmikenow profile image93
        Readmikenowposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think your problem with the United States is personal and NOT objective.

Let me go on record as saying the English language does not have a word that properly describes how little I think of anything you say, have said or will say in the future.  I will keep scanning the Oxford English dictionary to see if I can discover one.  There are a few middle English words that get close but none of them completely grasp it.

So, are you going to go full blown troll?  Probably, that's what you do.

Nope.

The point is that you are subjective. I provide evidence. I provide evidence from other sources. I provide figures. I provide research.

That is not subjective or personal.

The links are from reputable studies. They are not my opinion. You are presenting an opinion. I am presenting facts.

This has nothing to do with being personal.

2. TessSchlesinger profile image60

Just thought you might to read this. Just published. This is why America is not the greatest country in the world. To be honest, I don't think there is any country that is the 'greatest country in the world.'

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 … ical-costs

QUOTE: Millions of Americans – as many as 25% of the population – are delaying getting medical help because of skyrocketing costs

QUOTE: Susan Finley returned to her job at a Walmart retail store in Grand Junction, Colorado, after having to call in sick because she was recovering from pneumonia.

QUOTE: The day she returned, the 53-year-old received her ten year associate award – and was simultaneously laid off, according to her family. She had taken off one day beyond what is permitted by Walmart’s attendance policy.

QUOTE: After losing her job in May 2016, Finley also lost her health insurance coverage and struggled to find a new job. Three months later, Finley was found dead in her apartment after avoiding going to see a doctor for flu-like symptoms.

For a first world country to have this happening is beyond disgusting and it is inhumane.

3. abwilliams profile image69
    abwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Fine by me, at the same time, I do realize that we've made mistakes, we fall short from exemplifying the perfect example, Jesus Christ, but I believe the goodness of America and her people far surpasses the ugliness of the evil one.

AB, did you ever notice there are certain people who just go bonkers when an American expresses pride in the United States? I am a second generation Ukrainian and I know what life was like for my relatives when it was part of the USSR.  It was horrible.  The United States has been a great place for use to grow and prosper. 

Trust me ALL countries have their problems.  I've never visited one where somebody didn't complain about their government, the system, how things were run, etc. But they still love their country.  I can respect that, and I believe I have the right to be proud of my country...and I am!

The Ukrainians have a beautiful culture.  New York City has a sizeable Ukrainian population.  The Ukraine had & still has a harsh, tenuous history-the Communist takeover, Holodomor, World War II etc.

2. abwilliams profile image69

Yes Mike, I have noticed!

I am so glad that your family found your place in this world, here in the United States of America.

Gmwilliam, AB Thanks.

When I was very young, we lived in the East Village area of Manhattan known as “Little Ukraine.”  I have relatives that live near 14th Street.  They still have a HUGE Ukrainian festival there. 

I am proud to be have Ukrainian heritage, but I am REALLY glad my grandfather came here in 1902 and went through Ellis Island.  My wife's grandfather came over from the Ukraine in 1900.  Our lives have been much improved by being in this country. I've gone back several times to Ukraine, and it's nice, but I'm glad to present my American passport and get back into the United States. 

I have a feeling others also have their immigration stories.  I would like to emphasize I and my wife are descendants of "legal" immigrants.

Love this, thanks for sharing Mike!

2. gmwilliams profile image84

They still have the St. George Ukrainian Festival every May.  I missed two of those wonderful festivals.  I saw the 2017 festival on youtube-the dancers were magnificent.

Getting a bit off topic, but it IS about America.

Gmwilliams, do yo live in NYC?

Yes, I do.

4. abwilliams profile image69
    abwilliamsposted 4 years ago

Thank you!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)