#STOPTHE WOKEINSANITY The Bachelor Controversy

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (18 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image89
    GA Andersonposted 3 years ago

As Joe would say, "Look, Here's the deal."

A Bachelor contestant attended a ladies Old South Antebellum Party put on by her college sorority. She didn't do or say anything overtly racist, but she was slammed as being racist simply for attending. A young, pretty college girl wanting to dress up in a pretty formal dress. Geesh, go figure.

Then, the show's host, Chris Harrison defended her in an interview:

"We all need to have a little grace, a little understanding, a little compassion,” he said, urging people to have sympathy for Kirkconnell. “This ‘judge, jury, executioner’ thing where people are just tearing this girl’s life apart...it’s unbelievably alarming to watch this.”

I say Mr. Harrison has the right perspective.

Until . . . He started his apology tour. His apology makes Cuomo's apology look like a 'Go to hell' retort. What a wuss. This man has no balls. Maybe a make-believe show like the Bachelor is perfect for him because he is a make-believe man. He stood up for what was right and then folded at the first hint of resistance.

Woke my butt. #STOPTHE WOKEINSANITY

GA

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 3 years agoin reply to this

nobody really supports those wishing to making a federal case over people and their innocent associations.

There is such a thing as going to far....

GA Andersonposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I agree that these things are going too far, but I am not so sure that nobody really supports it.

GA

2. Sharlee01 profile image80
      Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

First, the party was a ladies' tea party. The north and the south have a history of hosting tea parties...  Tea parties are a tradition throughout America.  I have an annual Christmas tea, It gives the opportunity for a friend to gather, share a decadent few hours to talk eat goodies, and share a little gift from the host.  Very harmless fun.  It would seem some are making an attempt to cancel out all the wonderful little social traditions that are part of our history.  Seem some think the punishment is required for on era we had no say in.  Our history progressed, to a better place, a place where slavery would not be considered or tolerated.  But a tea party being viewed as racist, ridiculous.  I guess if they make a law against tea parties, I will be arrested or ticketed.  I intend to brew tea, gather my friends and pass my tradition on to my granddaughter.  I see nothing racist in this day and age to attend a tea party.  Yes, this particular tea party was held in the south, should this mean all tea parties in the south should be canceled out? However, those held in the north are just hunky-dory.

2. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 3 years ago

Have not heard about this controversy but it does sound trivial at first glance. I suppose I could look it up but ....

Nah. lol

1. IslandBites profile image90
      IslandBitesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It is! big_smile

But in case you change your mind...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hmY1gSAuRk

I just watched the whole interview for the first time, only because I knew that GA quote was not the only thing he said and what got him in trouble.

He had a couple of good points, but the rest spoke volumes.

1. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for sharing, and I am tempted to watch it just because it's you who shared it, but I will let others worry/banter over this one. I've never watched The Bachelor and I have no idea who any of these people are and I am content to leave it that way.

I shall stubbornly  remain ignorant of the facts and blind to the cultural significance of this incident. big_smile

big_smile

We're in the same boat. Not once in my life have I watched that show. I cant remember where and why I watched a clip of that interview. I only watched it all today because of this thread. LOL

But it is sad to see how some people you like think. Such indignation when other more serious, important and worse things get a pass, an excuse or a defense.

1. profile image0

I hear ya.

2. GA Anderson profile image89

You are right this is a trivial grievance that really shouldn't be worth the effort of addressing. There are many "more serious, important and worse things get a pass, an excuse or a defense." But, the fact that this is considered a serious "woke" grievance has more serious consequences than the issue is being given. If this "woke" trend continues at this rate; first the Muppets, George Washington, Abe Lincoln, then Dr. Seuss, and now a young college student's Antebellum party, then these new SJWs are going to pave the path for another Trump to get elected.

75 million Trump voters are not the only ones that have a problem with this trend. What will happen when "woke" drives even non-Trump supporting Conservatives into that camp?

GA

1. profile image0

This incident was not even in my radar. Where did you hear about it in the first place?

A Yahoo news feed on my phone. Like others have commented, I also haven't watched The Bachelor, I think it is silly to think this is really a reality program.

But, the Cancel Culture aspects of the story did get my attention.

GA

1. profile image0

Well, you righties have made enough fuss that it's now appearing in my news sphere.

Much ado about nothing, in my opinion.

2. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

If we were all a little, or a lot, more blind to cultural insults we so desperately search for the world would be a much better place.

Accept an insult for what it is (meaningless jabber from ignorant people) and ignore it.  And if there is no insult intended then don't make it into one!

2. GA Anderson profile image89

Well, you are right that I grabbed that quote from an article, but it was the same quote used and presented as the focus of his 'sins' in multiple other articles I checked.

I watched your linked interview and I thought the entirety of it was a sensible position. I liked the guy even more after watching the whole interview. However, since I am not sure what your "speaks volumes" is intended to mean, but I don't think its intent is to flatter Chris Harrison, I suppose that just means that I don't get it because I am an insensitive dinosaur. If that was the direction of your thought, then you are right, I am just not "woke."

However, after hearing his apparently sincere thoughts in that interview I now believe him to be even more ballless than before for doing his apology tour. What a spineless wuss.

Wait, there is more. The next video qued-up was Rachel Lindsey, (the Extra) host in a podcast explaining her actions and reactions during the interview, (apparently she had received some "criticisms").

Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln36XeP7qaQ

I couldn't make it past the 12 minute mark. Being the dinosaur that I am, let your imagination go wild thinking of the negative things I would say about that woman. Humph!  Considering some of the things she said she must be the one with Mr. Harrison's testicles because it sure took a pair to come off as she did.

GA

I dont think is about dinosaurs.

I really dont care about this, but watched about 15 mins of your video. I have no idea what triggered you. In any case, no " little grace, a little understanding, a little compassion,” for her? smile

Nope, she had her chance in the interview. Her 'after-the-fact' explanations warrant no consideration from me. She was playing to the audience in the podcast segment.

GA

3. Castlepaloma profile image77
    Castlepalomaposted 3 years ago

Have not owned a tv for 10 years.
    Don't miss the lower levels of culture programming one bit.
    Maybe hockey yet todays hockey is more dull without the live fans.
    Covid sucks everywhere.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)