Please Take My Poll

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image84
    Sharlee01posted 10 months ago

https://hubstatic.com/15852866.jpg
    "WASHINGTON (AP) — Heading into a critical midterm election year, the top political concerns of Americans are shifting in ways that suggest Democrats face considerable challenges to maintaining their control of Congress.

A poll from The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research finds that management of the coronavirus pandemic, once an issue that strongly favored President Joe Biden and his fellow Democrats, is beginning to recede in the minds of Americans. COVID-19 is increasingly overshadowed by concerns about the economy and personal finances — particularly inflation — which are topics that could lift Republicans.

Just 37% of Americans name the virus as one of their top five priorities for the government to work on in 2022, compared with 53% who said it was a leading priority at the same time a year ago. The economy outpaced the pandemic in the open-ended question, with 68% of respondents mentioning it in some way as a top 2022 concern. A similar percentage said the same last year, but mentions of inflation are much higher now: 14% this year, compared with less than 1% last year." Source https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus- … 5415aaf66c

Which concerns you more, are you more worried about COVID or more concerned about the economy?

https://hubstatic.com/15852866.jpg

1. tsmog profile image78
      tsmogposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Using the graphic for topics surveyed I will address me first, then my region San Diego County while I feel the state mirrors that, and finally nationally.

Personal
      1) Personal finance
      2) Covid
      3) Economy

Region
      1) Covid
      2) Economy
      3) Personal Finances

Nationally
      1) Covid
      2) Economy
      3) Immigration

Sharlee01posted 10 months agoin reply to this

Wonderful! Just goes to show one's personal concerns are not always the concerns of the region they live in.

Always such great detail in your comments... Thanks for adding to the thread.

1. tsmog profile image78
          tsmogposted 10 months agoin reply to this

I am not worried about covid with normal day-to-day life and never was. We mask in Calif and that is like putting my pants on in the morning. I respect others and social distance. I only go to the shopping center twice on Mon. I go grocery shopping at 6:30am to beat traffic and the store crowd, so nobody there. My other trip is at 9am when the sandwich shop opens and next door is the cig store. No one around at that time. Other than that I might see someone on my walk to the mailbox.

To expand a little of why I have covid in the top two priorities is because it is still impacting me personally firstly, then regionally, and definitely nationally the way I see it. For instance I got a letter today from my medical group (Scripps) servicing San Diego county (Region) saying they are doing the following due to covid and staff shortages because of covid, though they said is to be temporary.

** Closing 6 of 17 walk-in locations (including mine)
          ** Closing 6 of 20 lab/x-ray facilities (including mine)
          ** Limiting hospital (5) visits to one person per day while must have proof of vaccination or test in last 48 hours
          ** Changing how they prescribe Monoclonal Antibody Treatments and Antiviral Pills
          ** Changing covid testing procedures limiting who can get it. Otherwise your left to normal methods, which isn't really that bad in my city.
          ** Shifting staff as demand goes its merry way
          ** Expect the possibility of appointment cancellations

Then there is supplier/manufacturer issues with delivery in the mix. I haven't been able to get my fav Hungry Man TV dinners for two months due to that. Meat prices are high because of covid affecting costs for the suppliers to accommodate worker conditions as well as staffing shortages. That is happening with other products too. It is not uncommon to see brands I usually get not there. At Home Depot there are bare spots now too.

Then there is vaccine mandates. One quarter of the San Diego police force is facing termination soon for not getting it. About the same with fire department. Other city employees can't be far off that. I have to wonder about the county sheriff department and my local city. Who knows what will happen if the 100 employee controversy goes Biden's way especially with retail since places like Burger King have more than 100 employees. BTW, they are drive-thru only now.

I could go on. But, those are impacting me personally and I see those impacting the region too. They are due to covid.

2. GA Anderson profile image90
      GA Andersonposted 10 months agoin reply to this

I would gladly answer your poll, but I arrived late and after reading the thread, just consider my answer as a voice in the choir, (so far), of the preceding comments.

I would add one other concern; National Stature. That's a big bucket, but I think any issue that would be in it would most certainly be impacted by how the world sees us. You can run the scale of adjectives; weak/strong, smart/dumb, etc. etc. and pair them with any international issue, and that basic fact will be at the root of it.

GA

Oh lord, you had to do this... LOL

OK let's toss this plum into the pudding.  National Stature --  I will say with all that's going on right now in America from my perspective,  I am not sure about how the majority of American's feel about the importance of growth, development, and achievement to glean admiration globally.

It would seem half the Country is looking for more than world adoration -- Not so long ago we had a man that was a longshot win the 2016 election that's slogan was "Make America Great Again".

I will let someone else take it from here.

Always thought-provoking, never boring... GA thank you for adding a new topic that will certainly add to the conversation. And I must say, it's a refreshing change from what we have currently on our plates.

1. GA Anderson profile image90

Oops. My "National Stature" had nothing to do with admiration. It was all about respect: respect of power, respect of commitment, and respect of integrity. And the scale of that respect in specific areas.

In any international arena I can think of: financial, military, contractual, etc. each nation will tailor their participation by their perception of us.

As example: I think we are viewed as militarily strong, so any nation dealing with us will most likely feel they are doing so from an inferior position. Conversely, if we are pushing for a regional coalition for sanctioning a nation, other nations' commitments will almost certainly be tied to how they see our power to follow through. They may feel our position is less than superior and tailor their response to that perception.

Hopefully, that clears up the "admiration" thing.

GA

You have my head spinning --- I just read your comment to Wilderness.  And I was to get all that --- from this?

"I would add one other concern; National Stature. That's a big bucket, but I think any issue that would be in it would most certainly be impacted by how the world sees us. You can run the scale of adjectives; weak/strong, smart/dumb, etc. etc. and pair them with any international issue, and that basic fact will be at the root of it."

I love your posts, I do... But I must say some of your posts are like a riddle with a riddle.  It's like my brain was tackling a crossword puzzle.  But, in the end, you did have my brain working. So, all is well.

I think you could produce a great board game. It would sell like hotcakes. You are one deep guy.  And I so enjoy digging into your comments. But, I never win. So, keep 'em coming, I am all in on coming out as a winner.

You are `over-thinking' me Sharlee, but thanks.

GA

2. Ken Burgess profile image84
          Ken Burgessposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Oh I love that, you hit on something with "Make America Great Again".

So speaking to that and to Faye's lets get back to a shared reality...

We can't... we won't... and that quote helps sum up why as much as any.

For a THIRD or more of the country "make America great again" speaks to the days when we led the world in Industry, Science, Technology... when jobs were plentiful & paid well, when it only took one person in the household to work to support a family and when Health Insurance actually covered your bills.

For a different THIRD of the country "make America great again" is offensive, America was never great, it is steeped in a history of evil deeds; from the wanton persecution of Native Americans to centuries of Slavery, to dropping atomic bombs on innocent civilians.

Many Americans want to see America torn asunder and see it only through such a prism, be they professor or politician the truth is there are elements within our country determined to "burn it all down".   Many Americans unwittingly support these nihilistic elements because they dress their ultimate goals in sheeps clothing... using issues of race and sex and vaccination status and ideology to mask the deeper destruction they seek.

https://www.keywiki.org/Organizations_F … _Institute

https://www.inquirer.com/education/chin … 00207.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/03/maga … ities.html

Forces outside the US from Soros to China to Saudi Arabia fund more programs and non-profits meant to shape the beliefs and perspectives of Americans than all the Churches, Temples, and the Federal Government combined... not to mention their Lobbyists fill the halls of Congress.

Our media sources divide us, Fox and co. have one reality, CNN and co. have another.

One media source calls all the charges brought against Trump regarding Russian collusion and treason the greatest hoax ever heaped onto Americans... while the other media source calls Trump the greatest traitor our nation has ever had, more evil than Stalin or Hitler could ever imagine being.

There is no power on earth that can bring Americans to a common reality when MSM and our politicians speak to two totally different realities every day.

Throw Covid in there for even more dissenting reality... a third of the country believe it is a deadly pandemic that is a massive threat to us all... the rest of America is done with the hysterics and wants to get back to living life and has no interest in hearing about more Lockdowns or forced Vaccinations.

2. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Maybe it's just my cynicism, but I've long thought the rest of the world sees the US as a deep pocket to dig into and as a nation of stuck up, ignorant idiots.  Not much else.  So our world stature doesn't mean much to me.

It appears my choice of wording: National Stature, didn't convey the thought I intended. Consider the thought of peace through strength and apply it to all the areas I mentioned.

As an example: The power of the dollar in global finances. Until recent years the strength of the dollar gave us a lot of leverage in international financial issues—and the other nations dealt with us under the color of that power. We had strength so we had power, (respect). As the dollar decreased in strength we lost a lot of that power, (respect), to the point that there are some who proclaim the dollar will soon not be the world's currency standard.

Although the concept of military strength has changed since our Cold War times consider our current potential dilemma—the real possibility that China and Russia will make military moves, (simultaneously?), that I doubt they would have considered in earlier years. The results of lost respect, (strength), for our commitments?

The same thought applies to international financial and humanitarian efforts. Peace through strength. The strength of respect.

The world also sees us as you say; as deep pockets, but I don't think the strength, (respect), of our deep pockets is what it was in earlier years. Maybe something like; "Give us the money and we will do what you want." Versus now, "Give us the money and we will consider doing what you want."

Consider some nations thinking of joining the U.S. in some financial measure. I think they would be more likely to consider the deal as offered if they thought they were dealing with a Warren Buffet character than if they were dealing with a lottery-winner character. If they think the only power of the lottery winner is the luck of the draw then their lessened respect for that power will lead them to make different decisions.

I see every human interaction is based on each side's respect for the other.  And the scale of that respect will impact everything we want or try to do.

I hope this is a little more clear. Since both, you and Sharlee took my National Stature to mean admiration or how well we are liked it is obvious that my first attempt was a dud.

GA

2. Ken Burgess profile image84
    Ken Burgessposted 10 months ago

Economy is the #1 issue
    Also my #2 issue
    Covid is only an issue in the sense that I want all this BS to end, the travel restrictions, the Vaccine tracking, even news reports, all of it. Sick and tired of it and all the nutcases that overreact to it.

Thank you Ken for taking my poll... I am done with COVID moving on... Sorry, we need to just push on, and form a herd ( the true science). I feel we have all we will get vaccinated. Now we test our herd and add to it as we live our lives.  I too am fatigued with the nutcases that overreact.

3. Fayetteville Faye profile image60
    Fayetteville Fayeposted 10 months ago

Covid is not a concern of mine whatsoever. I look at it as a personal choice from here on out. I have nothing against the anti-vax crowd but in my view they are on their own from here on out. 
    With your choices then I'd say economy is my number one but actually it's getting the country back to a shared sense of reality that's based in truth.
    The outright lies and conspiracy theories surrounding the 2020  election and covid both need to be desperately confronted.
    The proliferation of misinformation is alarming. It needs to be reigned in because it's ruining our country.

I agree we need to confront both the 2020 election and COVID. It would be wonderful to turn the clock back to where we did not have so much misinformation thrown at us.

Yes, those that wanted the vaccines pretty much have gotten them, the rest made a personal decision, and will need to understand they are on their own at this point.

Thanks, Faye for taking the time to comment.

1. Fayetteville Faye profile image60
        Fayetteville Fayeposted 10 months agoin reply to this

Absolutely, I appreciate your efforts at real, thoughtful , straight forward , No holds barred conversation.

Thank you, Faye --  Please smack back if need be.  So, pleased you joined in here. Your comments are so wonderfully researched. I respect that.

4. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 10 months ago

Since the CDC is starting to come clean about Covid, many of their announcements lining up with what the left, only a few weeks ago, decried  as conspiracy theories, I’ve ceased to worry about Covid, on some fronts. Although those who opted out of vaccinations are still a concern since Biden has tried so hard to beggar them. I will continue to be concerned about that aspect until these people are afforded the same freedoms as the rest of us.

I am concerned about the economy but I’ll have to agree with Fayetteville Faye that it is increasingly important to agree on a shared reality. Calling differences of opinion conspiracy theories and lies needs to stop. Until we engage in order to understand why the same set of data has people coming to different conclusions, instead of degrade, we have a collective problem.

I’m not overly concerned about the economy. We are looking to a red wave in the mid terms and fiscal responsibility will come back in style.

I also have stopped worrying about COVID, had Omicron, and I was lucky to have very very mild symptoms, as did the rest of my family. Hope we will soon see the end of this virus.

Well, I am also looking forward to what I hope is a red wave. I am a bit concerned about inflation, but I am not going to let it freak me out.

So appreciate your taking time to share.

1. Live to Learn profile image60
        Live to Learnposted 10 months agoin reply to this

I’m jealous. I was hoping to catch omicron since the symptoms are mild and it is said to give good immunity. Wasn’t lucky enough and just got my booster.

I have all three, and now Omicron. Everyone that attended my Christmas eve came down with Omicron on the same day, which was the day after Christmas.  My daughter got up and passed my bedroom and said "I am sick"... I said me too. By midday  I got call after call with the same words... I am so sick. We all had very mild symptoms.  I must say I feel good to have had it, and finally lost the fear of it.

5. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 10 months ago

As others have said, I personally put the economy first, immigration second and COVID a distant third.  And it only comes in that high because of all the hoopla over it; the actual disease isn't even on the horizon for me any more.

1. Ken Burgess profile image84

What do we all have in common?

Our need to for electricity, food, water.

For a considerable number of Americans, those needs are provided in one way or another by State and Federal programs. So long as there is a functional economy the government will continue to fund the programs which keeps a large percentage of Americans housed and fed.

Should that ever falter and those people along with a large amount of the "working class" find themselves without what they deem necessary amounts of electricity, water and food... if those things become unavailable or unaffordable ... no other issue will matter.

1. wilderness profile image94

Change electricity to energy (including gasoline, diesel, fuel oil, natural gas, propane and other forms of energy) and adding housing to that list and you've got it.  Those are our necessities and without them nothing else will matter.  I'll add that the increasing efforts to require renewable energy rather than cheaper forms is exacerbating a growing problem with the cost of (primarily) electricity.  Closing off pipelines and drilling, of course, increases the cost of petroleum forms of energy.  We are on a path to make energy unaffordable for the common working class, leaving only the wealthy and the poor getting it free able to afford it.

1. Ken Burgess profile image84

And like you when you change electricity to all energy types.

I consider the economy to mean people's ability to get food, power, housing.

So, I believe people were happy with the economy 2017-2019 and then they were cowed by the pandemic and riots in 2020... ultimately leading to Trump being ousted, and of course if you want to say the election rules they changed due to the Pandemic led to Biden being elected, in places like PA and GA, I won't argue the matter.

Point is, people in general were content with Trump despite all the negativity he garnered because the economy was doing well and they were better off.

I don't think people are content right now with hiked gas prices, food prices, etc. nor with the continued threat of more lockdowns and mandated vaccines.  Should this trend continue the backlash will be severe come 2024.

2. Sharlee01 profile image84

I totally agree with you... I think we must be born under the same sign... LOL

No but really I am over COVID. I have done all I can, and am just going to live as normally as I can around all that comes. I am off to Mexico for the winter. Hey, the sun's vitamin D may be the trick. I did not spend the winter there last year, where many of my friends did, and they claimed the people were on board with getting vaccinated and very much on board with mitigations. No fighting about rights or any of the fun BS we have lived through.   So, go figure, I am headed over the border.

Immigration is such a problem, and the problems it is causing are being underreported.

1. wilderness profile image94

LOL  Yes, the same sign.  We aren't going to winter in Mexico, but DO have a week planned in Cancun the end of February!  IF the planes aren't canceled, IF COVID doesn't shut down travel to (or from) Mexico, etc.

6. Nathanville profile image92
    Nathanvilleposted 10 months ago

I can’t really take part in the Poll for America, but for comparison with attitudes across the pond:-

Latest Opinion Poll in the UK, as at 10th Jan 2022
    The 14 Most Important Issues to the British Public, Facing the Country (UK)

•    Health = 54%
    •    The Economy = 45%
    •    Immigration = 29%
    •    Environment = 28%
    •    Brexit = 25%
    •    Crime = 18%
    •    Housing = 16%
    •    Education = 13%
    •    Welfare Benefits = 9%
    •    Taxes = 9%
    •    Defence = 8%
    •    Pensions = 8%
    •    Family Life = 6%
    •    Transport = 2%

Personally, my top four issues in no particular order are the Environment, Brexit, Health (Pandemic), The Economy.

The issue of least concern to me personally is Immigration.

7. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 10 months ago

Well, everyone else is here, I might as well be a joiner.

Like everyone else, I am to the point that those that are vaxed feel safe about getting the virus and those that aren't are going to take their chances.  If the data on vax vs. unvaxed supported a major effect on transmission rates, I think it still prudent to push to get people vaccinated.

For me, the economy is also not much of an issue.  Yes, inflation is a concern, but it's a global concern and will eventually normalize once living with the virus normalizes.  I tie those two together.

The biggest issue, like with Faye, is the misinformation and state of our democracy.  We came very close to becoming Russia under Putin, where fair elections have ceased to exist, political opposition gets imprisoned, and what the leader says is the truth, or else.  That's not an America that follows our Constitution.

I am a single-issue voter for the time being, and that is the only issue.

In some sense, this is going to be where the 2022 midterms are won.  Who gets to frame the most important issue.  In 2016, Trump framed the election around immigration.  In 2020, the virus and the handling of it was the issue.  In 2022, it sounds like the main issues will be inflation vs. protecting democracy.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)