Some Sanity Coming Out of Michigan

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 12 months ago

This appeared in the Holland Sentinel and was reposted to Yahoo on Sunday...

My Take: With Trump's cult, we are way past political differences

How much longer will America slide toward the abyss? We have one political party, the Democratic Party, for all its faults, that is at least rational and sane. You very well may disagree with their political stances on various policies, but that is a far cry from where we are with the other party. The Republican Party is no longer a political party. It has become a full-fledged cult. Reminiscent of Jim Jones, Shoko Asahara or David Koresh, Donald J. Trump is now the focal point of the Republican cult.

Under no circumstances are you to question the cult leader's deity. Questioning Trump equates to instant vilification ranging from name-calling to death threats. We cannot lose the fact that we are talking about a man who once was president of the United States.

The absurdity of the cult has permeated every facet of American politics. From the federal level to local levels, America is now infested with “leaders” who still believe the 2020 election was stolen, they still believe that a secret cabal of Democrats are killing kids and drinking their blood, and that Jan. 6 was not a coup attempt. Jan. 6 to the cult is now celebrated. Their cult leader had convicted Jan. 6 insurrectionists record a song so he can now play it at his cult rallies. We even have Republicans visiting these traitors in jail as if they are heroes. This is disgusting and dangerous.

The choice America faces as 2024 rolls ever closer could not be starker. Do we want a functioning democracy, or do we want a malignant narcissist back in the office for what will be a term of vengeance and mayhem? Do we want an American president who openly swoons over Putin, Xi and Kim Jong Il, while insulting our allies and openly calling for an exit to NATO?

There is no real distention within the cult. If anything, the cult is coalescing tighter at Trump's feet, the nation be damned. Those who have tried to speak logic to the mass of sycophants are scorned as RHINOs. Anyone not in the cult is fair game for violence. A party that once stood proudly with law enforcement now has the blood of law enforcement on its hands. Nonetheless, they don’t care. If Trump wants it, they will deliver. He has become their Messiah.

It doesn’t matter what crimes Trump has been indicted on, or what crimes he may be indicted on in the future. This only feeds into their warped narrative that the deep state is out to get him, and come hell or high water, that cannot happen. He is above the law.

What is comical is the cult has an entire channel dedicated to Trump: FOX News. But under their veil of absurdity, it is out there for all to see exactly what the talking heads at FOX think of Trump. They knew the election wasn't stolen, they knew they were peddling lies, and for all the deference they paid Trump on air, behind the scenes they couldn’t stand him. This, however, is not a learned moment for the mass of sycophants. Oh no, instead, they ignore the narrative, or turn to other outlets more than willing to pander to the intellectually stunted.

America cannot tolerate this crisis any longer. The choice is as simple as it is stark. We either protect America’s democracy or we hand the keys back over to a sociopathic man who has no guiding principles except feeding his insatiable appetite for praise and adoration. His narcissistic supply is being fed by the mindless mass of “Trumpers.”

With Trump's cult, we are way past political differences. We are at a tipping point. Is America willing to allow this cult to metastasize further? If so, it will be an America none of us recognize. If not, get vocal, get involved, and vote this cancer out of every office in America before it's too late.

— Todd Leva is a resident of Zeeland.

Accurately expresses what so many Americans have been voting against since 2018.

2. Valeant profile image86
    Valeantposted 12 months ago

And these comments on that story is why the Trump cult loses Gen Z voters by close to 80%:

The next election is so simple.  Do you want religious oppression or individual freedom?  To support free Ukraine or Communist Russia?  To improve working conditions for the worker or cuts to social security and Medicare?  To protect the environment or let corporations pollute without repercussions?  To tax and work you to death or finally tax the wealthy to pay their fair share?  To let you decide if you want an abortion or let the state decide for you.  To have mass shootings or responsible gun control?  To be taught the history of America or just the white racist version?  Do you want to restrict your right to vote or open absentee voting to give you the working person a better chance to vote?

It is simply a dictatorship trying to emerge, hiding behind a republican conservative christian front. I have read many comments from life long republicans, that say they don't recognise this republican party.

You know, I don't want unity with people who think that attacking your country to install an unelected dictator makes you a patriot. I don't want unity with people who think hate is a valid political position. I don't want unity with people who disregard the obvious truth in favor of lies that they like better. These people are the enemies of our country and our way of life. This includes you, Hannity, Carlson, Ingraham. Just because you don't believe it doesn't mean you are exempt. Lying to these people for money is even worse because you know better.

America cannot tolerate this crisis any longer. The choice is as simple as it is stark. We either protect America’s democracy or we hand the keys back over to a sociopathic man who has no guiding principles except feeding his insatiable appetite for praise and adoration. His narcissistic supply is being fed by the mindless mass of “maga-ets.”

Every independent I know of is voting AGAINST the GOP. It's because of a variety of issues. But they view GOP candidates as mean-spirited and insanely hypocritical. They feel the GOP, which always advocated for less government, is actually creating more government by telling folks what they can or cannot read in their local library, interfering with the health issues of women, and other issues. Donald Trump once stated he admired the autocratic leaders of North Korea, Russia and China as doing exceptionally well at "controlling" their people -- something of which he is so ambitious to do in America. And DeSantis believes in those same principles.

1. Credence2 profile image79
      Credence2posted 12 months agoin reply to this

This is your manifesto, Valeant, and I find little in it with which I disagree.

Trumper types: better hang on to your MAGAT hats! Reasonable people are waking up and retribution is coming....

Valeantposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Not even mine...this is what people understand about today's GOP.  I think those in the Senate understand the landscape, but the rest of the GOP is all-in on Trumpism.  Problem for them is that they only have the base left.  Their House investigations are seen for what they are, partisan foolishness and Fox News talking points. 

Everyone can see Jim Jordan as the gaslighter he is now - trying to protect domestic terrorism by lumping those same people in with the normal Americans - in essence, providing the dangerous of his party with cover by cloaking them in with the normal members of the party.

2. GA Anderson profile image89
      GA Andersonposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Well damn. Somebody peed in your Cheerios this morning.

GA

3. Ken Burgess profile image76
      Ken Burgessposted 12 months agoin reply to this

Yes, it is a sad example of Gen Z thinking... and how little they know.  It is why our schools teach plenty these days about social justice and little about what is really in the world and how governments, including our own, work.  The younger the generation the less they seem to know about other nations, government types, economics, etc.

I don't recall very much religious oppression during Trump's Administration. 

Perhaps we are talking about his campaign rhetoric, seeking the Christian vote, not that there is anything wrong with having religious beliefs... or is there?  Hard to know in today's America what is acceptable anymore.

Communist Russia?

Yeah... no.

The Democrats abandoned the American workers 30 years ago.

They do cater to Unions, as they are a source of dependable campaign funding, but the days of them championing American Middle Class workers are long gone.

Its hard to imagine that as President, Obama could say something akin to: Manufacturing Jobs Aren’t Coming Back – Then Trump Sets Record of 40,000 Manufacturing Jobs in One Month.

And yet somehow the myth of the Democrats being the party of the American worker still persists.

Kind of like now, when the lies of the Ukraine conflict are exposed, yet no one wants to hold the Biden Administration accountable, instead, they focus on the kid who exposed those lies to the sunlight?

Or are we talking about how through Executive Orders we are forcing people to accept men as women, as accepting lies as truth?

'Yes, it is a sad example of Gen Z thinking... and how little they know.  It is why our schools teach plenty these days about social justice and little about what is really in the world and how governments, including our own, work.  The younger the generation the less they seem to know about other nations, government types, economics, etc.'

Or it could be the pompousness of the older generations to talk down to a generation they think knows nothing, despite being engaged in the political conversations of the day.

'I don't recall very much religious oppression during Trump's Administration.  Perhaps we are talking about his campaign rhetoric, seeking the Christian vote, not that there is anything wrong with having religious beliefs... or is there?  Hard to know in today's America what is acceptable anymore.'

No issues with having religious beliefs.  The problem comes in when your religious beliefs are the source of your government policy and force others to live under those doctrines - such as freedom of choice and gay marriage.

'Communist Russia?  Yeah... no.'

Yeah, that commenter got that one wrong.  It's a straight up dictatorship that Trump and his supporters wish to enact here in the United States.

'The Democrats abandoned the American workers 30 years ago.'

And yet, whose policies overwhelmingly favor the rich and business class of America?  Certainly not the Democrats.  Child tax credits, free community college, student loan debt relief.  These are all to help the middle class build generational wealth.

'Kind of like now, when the lies of the Ukraine conflict are exposed, yet no one wants to hold the Biden Administration accountable, instead, they focus on the kid who exposed those lies to the sunlight?  Or are we talking about how through Executive Orders we are forcing people to accept men as women, as accepting lies as truth?'

Pretty sure we've known all along our government was supporting Ukraine.  Not sure what lies are there that you think we all weren't aware of.  It's not some big scandal that our country is assisting Ukraine to keep it's democracy.

As for accepting men as women, you often rant here about that.  It's pretty clear that you will never except someone's choice on gender or understand how those people feel.  The GOP sure does want parents to have rights on how to raise their children and what they get taught, but then wants to interfere with the family rights in gender choices.  If they aren't straight, god-loving Christians, there seems to be some policy the GOP wants to enact to force you to be just that.  I don't care if you're gay, straight, trans, black, white, redneck, gun-loving - you do you, it does not matter to me how you want to live your life to be happy.  There is certainly some discussion to have between gender and sex and policy there with regard to sport and sharing restrooms, but those that cannot even bother to accept someone else's choice on gender are just bigots in my own eyes.  And there's a lot of bigotry directed at the LGBQT+ community these days.

4. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 months agoin reply to this

"To tax and work you to death or finally tax the wealthy to pay their fair share?"

I would rather support myself than use forced charity from others.  Including the rich.

"To let you decide if you want an abortion or let the state decide for you."

I would rather have a sane debate and decision on when humans come to exist than simply murder children at will.

"To have mass shootings or responsible gun control?"

I would rather have an honest investigation into why we are so violent and then try to fix it than lose our rights for nothing.

"To be taught the history of America or just the white racist version?"

I would rather be taught ALL of history, not just the part that demonizes anyone with light skin.

"Do you want to restrict your right to vote or open absentee voting to give you the working person a better chance to vote?"

I prefer secure voting for all, ignoring Democrat claims that there is never a problem so nothing need be checked in favor of reasonable security.

'I would rather support myself than use forced charity from others.  Including the rich.'

So you don't see a need for police, teachers, or firemen.  It's not charity, it's called supporting services to make a healthy community.

'I would rather have a sane debate and decision on when humans come to exist than simply murder children at will.'

First, you have to be sane enough to understand that children is a plural of the word child, which is someone between the ages of birth and puberty.  Clearly, there is already a disconnect with understanding basic definitions.  So this falls under when religion or science deems life to begin.  Good luck getting those two entities to have that sane conversation.

'I would rather have an honest investigation into why we are so violent and then try to fix it than lose our rights for nothing.'

The extremist goes right to the extreme to think that losing that right is the only solution to responsible gun control.

'I would rather be taught ALL of history, not just the part that demonizes anyone with light skin.'

To teach all of that history means facing the good and the bad of your own history.  Not sure the right can face the bad.  It's the same thing we see with the current Trump cult.  Anything that reflects badly on them, they fabricate their own narrative to avoid facing the hard truths.  Bunch of snowflakes.

'I prefer secure voting for all, ignoring Democrat claims that there is never a problem so nothing need be checked in favor of reasonable security.'

The Democrats use the fact that things are checked to make the claim that mass levels of fraud do not exist.  That's where your logic and omission of what actually happens (again, because it annihilates your alternate reality) is so very, very flawed.

1. wilderness profile image96

"So you don't see a need for police, teachers, or firemen.  It's not charity, it's called supporting services to make a healthy community."

I do.  What you don't seem to accept is we ALL have a responsibility to help with those things, not just the rich.  We do not own the wealth of the rich - it belongs to them - and we have no moral or ethical right to simply take it away from them because we don't want to help out with the needs of the nation.

"First, you have to be sane enough to understand that children is a plural of the word child, which is someone between the ages of birth and puberty."

A great (GREAT!) many people will disagree with you, including me (although a zygote is not a child and neither is a month old fetus).  Perhaps it is you that is insane not to recognize that fact (and I, but that is another story).

"The extremist goes right to the extreme to think that losing that right is the only solution to responsible gun control."

Guess that's the difference; I recognize little to no further need to control guns.  Control the violence, on the other hand, and the death toll will end; attempt to control the guns again and nothing will change.  I prefer actual results to political grandstanding and breast beating.

"To teach all of that history means facing the good and the bad of your own history."

Oh, I think they can, and at least as well as the bleeding hearts of the left do.  But I meant what I said: teach that blacks owned black slaves in this country as well as others.  Teach that Indians kept slaves.  Teach it ALL, not just what the bleeding hearts find useful to denigrate one race with.

Democrats check almost nothing, just make the claim.  And that is a problem with me, for they are forever claiming "No problem, no need to check or secure anything!".  That they pretend to care, while making voting possible for non-citizens to control the US peoples, says it all.

'I do.  What you don't seem to accept is we ALL have a responsibility to help with those things, not just the rich.  We do not own the wealth of the rich - it belongs to them - and we have no moral or ethical right to simply take it away from them because we don't want to help out with the needs of the nation.'

Actually, we own portions of the wealth of all people in the form of taxes that exist to have healthy communities.  And the government, over the years, has determined that different income ranges can pay different rates on that income.  You may have a different view, but historically, that has been the accepted norm.

'A great (GREAT!) many people will disagree with you, including me (although a zygote is not a child and neither is a month old fetus).  Perhaps it is you that is insane not to recognize that fact (and I, but that is another story).'

A great many people disagree on the dictionary definition of the word child?  That's the argument you're basing the sane versus insane on?  Seems right on par with the irrationality of the far-right we see day in and day out in this country.  Basic truths are not so basic to them.

'Guess that's the difference; I recognize little to no further need to control guns.  Control the violence, on the other hand, and the death toll will end; attempt to control the guns again and nothing will change.  I prefer actual results to political grandstanding and breast beating.'

I'm willing to meet you halfway here as there is some validity to the violent programming people are getting.  Hollywood is especially bad in this regard.  But to think that anyone has the ability or training to handle a gun responsibly without training or licensing as we do with such dangerous things as cars and planes is where we differ.

'Oh, I think they can, and at least as well as the bleeding hearts of the left do.  But I meant what I said: teach that blacks owned black slaves in this country as well as others.  Teach that Indians kept slaves.  Teach it ALL, not just what the bleeding hearts find useful to denigrate one race with.'

That some white people feel singled out because the majority of slave owners were white is just the usual victim complex we see from any race when they are attacked for their historical bad behaviors.

'Democrats check almost nothing, just make the claim.'

That statement exists in some alternate reality of the uninformed and isn't even worth the time to continue engaging.  You might as well have said the 2020 election was stolen.

'Oh, I think they can, and at least as well as the bleeding hearts of the left do.  But I meant what I said: teach that blacks owned black slaves in this country as well as others.  Teach that Indians kept slaves.
              ------------
              But also teach that in perspective that around 1/2 of 1 percent of blacks own slaves so there really is no question that you are trying to draw some sort of equivalency that simply does not exist. It is still remains a white controlled caste system against black people.

Be sure to include the percentage of white people owning slaves, both worldwide and in the US.

This was not something to dance around the margins over. There were enough of the slave power to drive a civil war between the states. So it was not about the numbers over the relative power and influence of slave holders and their catastrophic behavior toward those held in bondage. That, too needs to be taught. We are speaking about America and American history, empty, insignificant comparisons do not take anything from the main theme.

2. wilderness profile image96

I get that you think you own what the rich have earned.  I just disagree - the perpetual cry for "fair" taxation has nothing to do with fairness and everything to do with greed as we take whatever we want from those with more than we do.  Legal and government approved, yes - moral and ethical a resounding "NO!".  A big difference of opinion.

I agree with you that training will save some lives.  It will also cost lives as we train killers to shoot straight.  Licensing will do nothing but slow the process, and the cost discourage some, solid citizens from buying a gun...while killers still get them, for they care not one iota about the law or licensing.  That is something that you seem to either forget or intentionally ignore; that criminals, particularly killers, will have the guns whether you pass laws denying the purchase or not.  Just think how many of the inner city pistols (the vast majority of gun murder tools) are owned illegally. 

Problem with the whites being singled out is that the sins of the fathers are being passed to the child.  In my world that concept makes no sense at all.

To some degree it was stolen, though not at the ballot box.  Some fraud, yes, and very likely more than normal (suddenly mailing ballots to everyone will do that, regardless of Democrats again claiming there is no problem).  But if it was stolen it was by unceasing efforts, legal and not so much, by Democrats to hurt Trump.  Never have we seen such efforts made to remove a political opponent as the pogrom that Democrats launched against him.  My prediction is that we will see the results of that for years and decades to come as every candidate is put through similar efforts.  (How many times have you heard that Biden needs to be impeached?)

'I get that you think you own what the rich have earned.' 

Not at all what I said, but as usual, you distort words in a ridiculous way to fabricate a position that does not exist for others.  When this begins, it's time to end the conversation because all that happens is a defense of those delusions.

Sorry, Valeant, but it is exactly what you said.  You even provided evidence in that the government has made laws that say you do own it.  Here; I'll even quote your post in case you've forgotten it:

"Actually, we own portions of the wealth of all people in the form of taxes that exist to have healthy communities."

"We own portions of the wealth of all people".  There can be no mistaking that you think you own what others have earned.  No mis-communication, no error.  You made it crystal clear.

Sorry, Dan.  Where did I mention just the rich in that post that you responded to?

We the people take some of the wealth of all people in the form of taxation.  That's a fact that I made crystal clear in my post that you tried to distort as some attack on just the rich.  And as expected, you're trying to die on a hill of your own distortions.  This type of pettiness is not worth any more of my time.

2. profile image60
                    JMickelsposted 12 months agoin reply to this

"We own portions of the wealth of all people".  There can be no mistaking that you think you own what others have earned.  No mis-communication, no error.  You made it crystal clear."

Very simply stated that everyone should pay their fair share. The government should extract equally from us all.   No free lunch for billionaires.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 12 months ago

This article is why President Biden's approval numbers are meaningless. The two republican presidents we have had in the last four administrations both lost the popular vote. If the wishes of the majority of Americans are upheld in the future, we may well never have a republican president ever again.
    This shrinking minority that makes up the GOP have shown themselves to represent ideas that America steadfastly refuses: anti-abortion, anti-immigration, anti-voting rights, anti-inclusion of minorities, anti-climate change, anti-tax increases for the top 1%, and pro-guns.
    It does not matter on a day-to-day basis what the President's approval ratings are. Does he have flaws? Yes. But -  He's not a republican. That seems to be what matters.

The only one in that list of "anti's" that has any truth to it is the anti-immigration, and that one only when referencing the Democrat concept of "Come one, com all!  We will provide whatever you need!" when it comes to immigration.

It is true that the GOP does not view us as the dumping ground for the world's poor, the uneducated, and the unskilled.

4. Kathleen Cochran profile image78
    Kathleen Cochranposted 12 months ago

If only one is actually true, ya'll have a serious PR problem because common knowledge is that they are all true.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)