Is our president a war criminal or just a bungler?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 16 years ago

Is our president a war criminal or just a bungler, or both?
    http://hubpages.com/hub/UNDOING_BUSH__H … _June_2007

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

I'm going with both. big_smile

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I'm with Mark big_smile

3. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 16 years ago

Great hub. Bush is as dumb as a post. Actually think he has a certain fanciful
    intellegence, great for the frat house, but he knows almost nothing about running the world. Cheney and the neocons do that. Is he a war criminal if he is oblivious of what a war crime is? Don't matter. He is above the law. Afterall
    his grandfather Prescott tried to overthrow the US government in 1934.

4. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 16 years ago

Mark and Uninvited Writer have the answer, Ralph. I've commented in more detail on your excellent hub.

5. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 16 years ago

I'm with you guys. But I was hoping to hear from the "forces of evil!"

6. Guru-C profile image77
    Guru-Cposted 16 years ago

Forces of evil, definitely :-)

7. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 16 years ago

I am always wary of judging someone...no one can possibly know the entire and complete truth about another human being. We only have our own perceptions, from our own circumstance and experiences.
    He has implemented some good things too. Half the country likes some of the things he has had a hand in.
    Also, I never give anyone the power of saying that they are totally responsible for any particular situation, let alone outcome.
    We all have had a hand in all things, from one level of consciousness or another.
    You make more karma accusing from limited judgment than you do from voting.

Ralph Deedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Half the people? Bush's approval rating just hit an all time low of 28% last week. Historians have voted him among the very worst presidents ever.

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
        SparklingJewelposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I read as many post and blogs on both (all) sides of the aisle as I can. So that is my perspective along with having studied in college about polls, ratings, etc...They don't cover much of the population and the perceived outcomes are a matter of perception/interpretation,  not a reality per the whole population of the United States.

Historians are mostly liberals, are they not? or at least the ones I/we end up seeing or hearing from the most through the mainstream media.  Compare those things to the last several presidential elections and... yea I would still say that there are just as many still supporting him and his list of conservative values platform  as there has always been. Mostly because they would rather have a republican than a democrat in office, because of those conservative values.

Do you read the conservative blogs and sites as much as you read the liberal ones? Sure many are not happy with how things have panned out...but they are not ignorant enough to blame all the crap on one person...as if he did it all by himself ! 

Through the view of my life history, which is limited just like EVERYONE elses, the right (conservative Christians) have always been the silent party, its a Christian thing to be silent and pray instead of yell and whine like liberals do (sometimes to their own demise! both sides smile

From my vantage point and experience, I don't see how he has been any worse than any others.  I feel that I take a much more middle ground and progressive stance for the betterment of society. It does no one any good what so ever to cast blame in one place. Problems are never solved that way, but only continued bickering and other immature reactionary responses that never help a situation.

To hate and blame some one as much as some people are doing to Bush is a detriment to society, and definitely not  objective or conducive to bettering society.

It's true that a majority of history professors are liberals. However, many of these same people rate Reagan and Bush I much more highly than George W. In case you haven't noticed plenty of conservatives have bailed on George W.

1. robie2 profile image77
            robie2posted 16 years agoin reply to this

Bush is loathed worldwide, not just here in America. He can't travel anywhere without there being huge anti-Bush demonstrations. His heavy handed foreign policy can indeed be judged and it has been a disaster. There was a motion at the International Court at the Hague a few years ago to try him for war crimes because of Guantanimo. Not only have a lot of conservatives jumped ship lately, but also a great many Evangelical Christians and they have not been silent about it.

2. SparklingJewel profile image66
            SparklingJewelposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Some have. But it remains to be seen, you can count on just as many votes for the republican. From what I hear, he has just happened to get caught in situations that easily appear, been painted as or were bad choices. But even all that is still a woulda, coulda, shoulda, hindsight is 20/20 situation.

I can't wait to see how the democrates do in office. You think we're in deep dodo now, just wait til dems try to flip everything totally opposite around to their thinking. I never did see how anyone could think that changes in government like that would be beneficial to the country.

There has not been one president that didn't do somethings unethical or illegal. You have to admit a lot of sh** has really hit the fan during his time in office. And regardless of how some people try to paint it all on him, like I said, common sense can't blame it all on one person. It is much better to look around and see how many others on both sides of the aisle are unethical and such, so that problems can really be solved.

If it was up to me, I would probably kick most of the house and senate out. Cronism is high and they get paid way too much, and there are too many lobbyist buying them off.

Its kinda scary to think how big changes will affect us citizens that live on the edge of the low income bracket. Heck, everyone really. We need big changes, but ...???

1. kerryg profile image85
              kerrygposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I think Congress should have term limits too. Maybe 2-3 terms.

I'm in the "both" category on Bush. I think SparklingJewel is right that you can't blame everything on him (or Cheney/Rove/etc. if you favor the Puppetmaster theory) but he/they set the tone for the administration from the start by filling government positions with underqualified cronies, doing away with or relaxing every law they could get their hands on that threatened the profits of big business by trying to protect human and environmental health, smearing political opponents at every opportunity with no regard for ethics or the law, and generally treating the office of president like a virtual dictatorship. Money is power, power is money, and both are granted by God to the deserving in their bizarre amalgam of social darwinism and fundamentalist "Christianity," and people who have neither deserve to suffer because they are inferior and God hates them. With an attitude like this dripping from every word and every action coming out of the White House, it's no wonder our country has been poisoned.

2. William F. Torpey profile image71
      William F. Torpeyposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I, too, try not to judge people too harshly. But George W. Bush is an exception. Personally, I see very few "good things" he has implemented. He has usurped the presidency of the United States, and thus the position of world leader, so he also has a far greater responsibiity for his actions. It is not necessary here to reiterate the tremendously long list of objectionable actions that Bush has taken as they are well known and well documented.

Unlike any other president, Bush has consistently turned his back on the values and rights of American citizens to achieve his personal goals. He obviously is seeking retribution for every advance attributable to Democratic Administrations since Franklin Roosevelt. Other Republican leaders, including George H.W. Bush, had more sense than to trample over the U.S. Constitution in an attempt to reverse every social program in existence. I would not judge Dubya so harshly if I believed he really wanted to improve the lives of Americans, but such a view is impossible in the face of his unwise, bullheaded and illegal actions.

Our country cannot survive four more years of this kind of irresponsible leadership. And anyone who fails to speak out against the injustices of the Bush Administration is contributing directly to loss of our freedoms.

1. profile image0
        pgrundyposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I feel like I come off as very harsh here, but truly I'm not that way in person--Live and let live, that's how I try to conduct myself in my daily life. Having made that long disclaimer and lame hedge I have to say (deep breath)...

WAR CRIMINAL.

I'm tired of Bush being excused on account of stupidity. Bush and Cheney should have been impeached years ago. Gitmo would be a good place for them and most of their administration,  especially since they seem to have no problem with its existence or its policies.

Me too!

8. C.M. Vanderlinden profile image62
    C.M. Vanderlindenposted 16 years ago

Gotta go with "both" on this one...

9. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 16 years ago

That's the harsh truth. But one thing that seems to have
    been made crystal clear with Bush II, for those who would see, is how rotten to the core the whole thing is. Not many would have imagined. If it were not - the Bush gang would have all been in jail a long time ago.

10. William F. Torpey profile image71
    William F. Torpeyposted 16 years ago

From ABC News:

President Bush says he knew his top national security advisers discussed and approved specific details about how high-value al Qaeda suspects would be interrogated by the Central Intelligence Agency, according to an exclusive interview with ABC News Friday.

(ABC News Photo Illustration)"Well, we started to connect the dots in order to protect the American people." Bush told ABC News White House correspondent Martha Raddatz. "And yes, I'm aware our national security team met on this issue. And I approved."

America tortures. Is this the kind of president we want? The calls for impeachment of Bush and Cheney are so loud they're hurting my ears.

11. profile image49
    mike12572posted 16 years ago

id say sending our boys/sons to war and die is a war crime...  but then again when we had the revolution we had help from iraq and sauidi arabia...... not!!!    you cant make everyone live the way we do here..   not only is bush a scumbag but so is about 90 percent of all humans..

i mean cmon we live in a world where you have to pay for food that grows for free(fruits veggies)... lmao!!!    where else can you be arrested and tried for lone sharking, unless your citigroup,hsbc,sears,homedepot,commerce, bank of america  etc etc etc...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)