Who Put The US In Charge Of Policing The World?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (58 posts)
  1. rhamson profile image72
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

With the occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan by US troops and recent sanctions being considered in Iran, who put the US in charge of cleaning up these countries and instituting democracy as the government that should rule these nations?

The US has a perfect right to defend itself from enemies without and within such as when Al Qaeda operations were launched from Afghanistan with the 911 attacks in New York, Washington and Pennsylvania.  But when did it become okay to overthrow the sponsoring governments and inject our ideology in their cultures and space?

The US may be a mighty military force to deal with but did we not learn from the Vietnam campaign when the US ideology just is not a fit for a determined population to resist our demands?

1. Ivorwen profile image65
      Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been wondering this exact same thing for some time now.  I wish there were real answers, and that the USA would mind it's own business!  I wish our troops were patrolling our boarders, and keeping us safe, rather than fighting around the world.

1. Sab Oh profile image56
        Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

" I wish our troops were patrolling our boarders, and keeping us safe, rather than fighting around the world."

They are one and the same

2. Padrino profile image60
      Padrinoposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The lesson from Vietnam should have been to bomb,bomb, bomb your enemy into submission! Sadly, the Pentagon didn't learn anything.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this
    3. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well on this I think we can agree. I'm tired of using my tax money to protect foreign interests! If a nation is going to go to war it should be for two reasons, to conquer and plunder, or to defend from the same.

I think it's foreign nations that ask the USA to get involved, often without admitting their request. Frankly, if we're not going to get paid for it, we shouldn't do it anymore. I'm all for returning all American troops back to the homeland and letting foreigners protect themselves. Oh, and don't come crying to the USA when your country is overrun with invaders!

4. Padrino profile image60

Another question is, why should the U.S. lead humanitarian efforts around the world?

Who put us in charge of making sure Countries effected by disaster get relief?

1. profile image0

Good point! But no one ever wants to talk about the good the USA does, so yes, let's put a stop to that to.

1. Padrino profile image60

Works for me!

5. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it was this guy..
      http://charlespaolino.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/tr.jpg

1. qwark profile image59
        qwarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"This guy" said: "Speak softly but carry a big stick!"
        On this planet with billions of crazy humans, nuclear warheads must take the place of the "big stick!"
        J. Edgar Hoover said if we want to beat 'em, we have to out man 'em and out gun 'em!
        Man is, genetically, a warring creature.
        Isolationism has been tried.
        Oceans once seperated us. That was protection!
        The world "shrank!"
        We are now surrounded by pugnacious, hateful, religious, greedy fearfilled, superstitious, ignorant primitives who would love to see us under their "heels!"
        If you have another way you think might bring the world to it's senses and function as a synergistic unit for ALL our benefit....pls...offer it!
        Otherwise quit'cher bitch'in!

6. Danny R Hand profile image60
      Danny R Handposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Harry S. Truman

2. rhamson profile image72
    rhamsonposted 14 years ago

The monies that would become available by stopping the US participation in these shenanagins would boggle the mind.

1. profile image0

Yes but what would we do with all those soldiers? Face it the government need the military to enforce order. It serves as a sort of welfare program employing millions. The military also knows that it's role is to secure the government and in return they get to develop new weapons and to test them.

rhamsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you on this Poppa Blues.  Iguess it would also have a reverse affect on our Military Industrial Complex as many jobs would disappear without the war demand.  Kind of a Catch 22.

1. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
          Wayne Orvisburgposted 14 years agoin reply to this

But how many jobs would be created by all the tax money we'd all save and get to spend on ourselves? Oh wait, we wouldn't get it back, the govt would still keep it and waste it however they want. Never mind.

1. profile image0

Bingo! That's why government should fear the people and not the other way around! We need to make government as small as possible to insure it has a minimal impact on our lives and we should start by demanding term limits NOW!

We must be on a roll Poppa Blues.  That is the third time we have agreed on something today. smile

1. profile image0

OMG! I might have to go for liberal detox! big_smile

Hell I may need a de-crustification.

3. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

http://www.cartoonstock.com/newscartoons/cartoonists/awh/lowres/awhn47l.jpg

4. kephrira profile image60
    kephriraposted 14 years ago

The doctrine of liberal interventionism (i.e. starting wars to spread democracy and save people from evil dictators) was one of Tony Blair's pet projects after succesful and locally popular interventions in Sierra Leone and what was Yugoslavia, which was then applied hurredly and not very well in Iraq and Afghansitan because Bush (perhaps understandably if not forgivably) wanted a swift response to 9/1. But that doesn't make it wrong.

Think about it this way - if your neighbour was beating his wife and raping his daughter, and you knew it for sure, but there were no police to do anything about it, would you just shrug your shoulders and says it's non of your business or would you go around and give him a kicking?

The key to that is if you "knew it for sure".  The action of a neighbor most assuredly is not acceptable but were you to intervene should you not be held accountable for your actions?  What if the rest of the community felt that you were not honest with your intentions? What if they thought you were trying to inflict your values or religion on them due to your actions?

We took Afghanistan and put the Taliban and Al Qaeda on the run.  We should have erased that threat and left.  Instead we overthrew Iraq and have left neither country.

"WE" (the US) went in without much support and took over even after the threat was greatly reduced.  We stayed and demanded they accept our governing ideology.

If is kind of like going into your neighbors house and removing the father who beat his wife and raped his daughter and decided they should adopt your way of life and moved in until they accepted it.

1. kephrira profile image60
        kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you about Iraq, I didn't think it was a good idea at the time and I wouldn't defend it. But saying we should have overthrown the Taleban and then just left is insane. Apart from anything else within a week of leaving the Taleban would back in charge and Al Qaeda would be rebuilding their training camps, making the whole thing pointless.

And if we knew that these things were ramping up again we would bomb the pants off them until they got the message.  It worked in Bosnia!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NATO_ … erzegovina

This was also a popular way of dealing with the situation with limiting loss of life and expense to the allies.

1. kephrira profile image60
            kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Bosnia had UN peackeeper there for ages afterwards, and they were never just left with no government. You can't just take out a country's government and then leave, or even worse keep taking it out every time they try to rebuild it. You have to take some moral responsibilty for your actions.

We could have taken out the Al Qaeda training camps, and kept taking them out, but left the Taliban in place. But the problem with that is we would have to keep taking them out forever with even less chance of a final ending than we have now, and there would also have been a much higher risk of a substnatial Al Qaeda presence in the country managing to stay under the radar and continue operating there in hidden places protected by the Taliban government.

Precisely what I am saying.  the reason why there was a victory in Bosnia is because we did not attempt to re-invent government for them.  The people got tired of the war and we accelerated the process in helping to put the bad guys on the run.

Sure the Taliban would stay in power and yes it was an oppressive government but it was their government and not ours to remedy.  And sure Al Qaeda would try to pop up again and we would have to monitor them for possible "re-education" time to time but where is our responsiblity in all of this.

Israel exists because of the US.  If Israel is at war with most of the countries over there, then so are we.  They do not make a distinction between the two. We think we are in the moral right when defending that position but the fact remains that we support Israel and therefore are at war with Israels enemies as well.

Us against the world is not working and we should take a step back and re-evaluate our priorities.

1. Sab Oh profile image56

"Sure the Taliban would stay in power and yes it was an oppressive government but it was their government and not ours to remedy"

Wrong. They saw to it that it became our problem to solve by their actions.

2. Sab Oh profile image56

"We could have taken out the Al Qaeda training camps, and kept taking them out, but left the Taliban in place"

Clinton tried bombing sand from a hundred miles away. It didn't work out.

2. Sab Oh profile image56

"We should have erased that threat and left."

Really? Is that how it works?  roll

5. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

Follow the money trail... if you can.

War is about money.  It's very profitable.

And money is not just being spent blowing things up and building war equipment.  Money is being spent building roads and schools in an attempt to con the civilians into believing we are on their side.  There are no sides... just money.

Anybody who believes war is a good thing needs to reevaluate their understanding of human purpose.

SouthPark Creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker made a movie about this very issue called:

Team America World Police.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372588/

It's quite entertaining.  Watch it if you can sometime.

Throughout history there has always been "leaders" who will use war to stuff their pockets... it's always about money.

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
      Shadesbreathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Great movie pull.  That movie and Idiocracy pretty much sum up the U.S. trajectory.

6. tobey100 profile image61
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

I'm pretty sure it was Buford Rideout.  He's my next door neighbor down the road and he usually starts everything.

1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It was Senator Beauregard T. Claghorn.

7. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
    Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years ago

Who Put The US In Charge Of Policing The World?

Christianity, by making us be the 'Moral Country'. The shining example of doing good for others even if we got nothing out of it in return.

The Forefathers, By teaching us that fighting for the underdog was and is, a just cause. They also taught us to stand up for what one believes in, even if the chances of success are slim.

Lincoln, by fighting the good fight, even if that fight was with your own.

The White Race... By standing up for the minorities, even when it was not in our best interest. Including fighting and dying to free the slaves.

The great thinkers of this nation, by showing us how... By getting it done, no matter what.

WE did. By being the only ones on Earth who can.

1. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most excellent.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Went ta school in Texas did ya'?

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image75
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

nope

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are qualified to edit textbooks that would meet that state's ummm, unique standards.

Got Proof?

2. Danny R Hand profile image60
        Danny R Handposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I really dig you.

3. rhamson profile image72

With a statement like "Christianity did" you assume there should be a world religion as all others must submit to the same understanding.  Also including that the US is the "Moral Country" is equally ludicrous with the corruption that has reared its' ugly face within our foreign dealings.

If America was so "Morally" governed by the what the world needs why is it that poor African countries are left to fend for themselves against warlords and the drug dealer infested countries in South America are allowed to prosper with the full support of the Moral Christian American Government.

You really have take a step back and re-evaluate such a ludicrous statement such as you have made.  I don't feel sorry for your take on the situation but am fearful of the possibility that there are more out there that subscribe to such lunacy.

1. profile image0

In the beginning of its creation the United States was a Christian country. Christian beliefs and moral were passed down through generations.

Which countries?

Huh?

1. profile image0

What do you mean "huh"? Did you not see the excerpts I was replying to?

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

nope

As I suspected.

4. Sab Oh profile image56

"The White Race... By standing up for the minorities, even when it was not in our best interest. Including fighting and dying to free the slaves."

Hmmm...I don't think 'the white race' gets to boast about that one.

I agree.  Not a good enough track record to base that one on.

1. profile image0

Only the ones with power could give power to those without it.

so very true.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image75

really? what races fought in the civil war?

and what races were in control of the policies of the nation and the military at the start of the civil war?

asians? it certaintly wasn't the powerless slaves that decided the national policy in the office of the president... Or was Obama the 16th president?

{making a reference to the first Black President.}

8. profile image52
    gryffonposted 14 years ago

The way I see it, the Middle East is a Gordian Knot, you know, the kind of knot that can't be untied. The only way to fix the Middle East is in one of two ways.

One - Go in there, kill all the bad guys, eliminate the dictators and establish a democratic government the rewards the productive people with their own wealth. Once the common man in Iraq or Iran has experienced that, AND set aside their tribal differences, they just MIGHT all get along. It's a long shot, but it's doable.

Two - Unleash Israel and let the dust settle. Maybe if Israel let loose with a few nuclear bombs over there, the rest of the crowd might begin to settle down and let bygones be bygones. Something tells me that when Israel is surrounded on all sides by other hostile nations, constantly being threatened to be blown to bits by those nations since 1948, when Israel became a viable nation of its own, and not one of those nations has been able to carry out their threats with any degree of success, and Israel has defended itself using U.S. hand-me-down military equipment, bailing wire and chewing gum, well... I think that God just might be on their side after all.

I guess you did not learn anything from Vietnam did you?

George Wilhelm Hegel
      What experience and history teach is this -- that people and governments never have learned anything from history, or acted on principles.

9. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Indirectly I think it was Hitler what done it and then along came Tojo. Lastly Russia opened the door all the way.

10. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

The recent spate of invasions WAS to protect US interests.

The dollar, which is only a moderately strong currency, is supported by the sale of oil, which must be sold in Dollars after America flat out extorted oil producing countries by offering 'protection' for those which sold oil in dollars.  The Afghanistan and Iraq both decided to sell oil in Euros, Iran followed suite, since the Eur is a much more stable currency.

Although the intentions might not have been quite so noble, they have done some good in removing some particularly nasty pieces of work from power. But just remember that this move has helped prevent the dollar from dropping in similar ways to the british pound.

This protection of the US currency will help to keep exporting businesses strong, and prices cheap for a wide variety of day to day goods.

(Although I do not know the exact figures, and whether the strength of your currency was worth the huge sums spent in fighting these wars)

I think that your point is a significant one.  The US interests were of the utmost concern for Bush and he laid that out quite often while he was president.

What is funny is that Americas biggest oil ally, Saudi Arabia is now trading in oil with euros and is undermining that policy with greater determination.  I don't know if the reason is due more to our growing debt with China or our debt to them.

No one will ever know the monetary cost of the wars as they have operated outside of budgetary constraints for a very long time.  The US can't account for much of the money anyway.

11. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

Nobody put us in charge! So lets bring all are forces home, close our borders and build a missle defense system. Tell the rest of the world to stick-it!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)