Democrats are Anti-war?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (50 posts)
  1. Evan G Rogers profile image60
    Evan G Rogersposted 14 years ago

Hey all,

I always hear people saying "the republicans are evil! Democrats are the heavenly angels who will save us from poverty!!", and then the common retort is "Bah! Democrats spend all our money and take away our freedoms!! The true, unsung heroes - the Republicans - will ACTUALLY be the ones to save us all!!"

And then the Demeecrats always respond with "W started the war!!" to which anyone with a brain will point out "But Obama nor the Democrat Congress is ending the war!!"

... So I wanted to simply point to this article for everyone

http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-ne … -afpak-war

IT shows that a republican (who's more libertarian than anything else) and a democrat (who actually thinks for himself) got together and tried to end the war...

.... And it was shot down by such a huge margin - 38-372 (almost a margin of 1 to 10).

NEITHER OF THE PARTIES WANTS TO END THIS WAR. QUIT ACTING LIKE ONE PARTY IS BETTER THAN THE OTHER

1. TMMason profile image60
      TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have been telling you all... there is no two parties anymore. There is the Progressive party... and those that used to be Dems or Repubs.

They, the progressives, have infected and taken over both parties. They all point their fingers at one another and bl;ame the dems or repubs, when they are all Progressives and have destroyed our country.

It is actually a great plan.

They control both side of the isle, both parties, so they can point their fingers and blame the other guys,(as if there is another guy), and cry about them,... getting the American people so tied up in blaming the Dems or Repubs, that they never bother to look at the real culprits.... the PROGRESSIVES.

But, we see you know... at least alot us do, and more are waking up everyday.

Progressives must go!

1. Flightkeeper profile image66
        Flightkeeperposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It would be a hard slog TM.  Right now 50% of households don't pay taxes.  That high number is due to so many being unemployed.  But even if we were back to full employment, I would say a good 35% don't pay taxes.  Too many of us like to get a free handout.  We have to scale back on a lot of government benefits.  It's unlikely that people will elect voters who want to reduce benefits. It's always about getting more and making the other guy pay for it.

1. lovemychris profile image77
          lovemychrisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Anybody who works pays the payroll tax, which is more than the federal and state combined.
          Poor don't pay federal and state, but pay payroll.
          Middle pay federal state and payroll.
          $120,000 and up pay federal and state but are exempt from payroll.

Who does not pay taxes? Who are you talking about????????

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
            Jim Hunterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

And those same poor are entitled to an earned income credit that pays them back a hell of a lot more than they payed in.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61
      Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You always hear that huh?  You run with a strange crowd.

Evan G Rogersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah. I believe the crows is called "people on hubpages"

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61

crows?

No we're opren.

2. Evan G Rogers profile image60

rofl, my bad - "crowd"

.. almost typed crows again. Ring finger is used for w and s, guess I'll have to work on that.

3. IntimatEvolution profile image68
      IntimatEvolutionposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm a Democrat, and I've never heard of your ramblings until now.  So what does that mean???

I'll tell you what that means, not all of us Democrats are guilty of this perception.  Your rant is nothing more than a perception.  You do realize that?

They only real thing that has a sound basis here, is discovered by asking you if YOU feel better?

your perception is nothing but a perception, and thus ... wait, this is a perception... so is everything in my life!! MY HANDS ARE PERCEPTIONS!!!

OH MY GOD!!! NOTHING MATTERS!!! IT'S ALL A PERCEPTION OF A REALITY - I CAN DO ANYTHING I WANT!!!"

... your argument... isn't good.

psst... you probably didn't read my full post!! I was insulting repulicans, too!!

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Wouldn't it be nice if our government were a comic book?
    The good guys and the bad guys would be clearly delineated.
    The bad guys would be labeled "villains."
    The president and congress would be caped superheroes who really could "bam, pow,zap" through problems, because problems would be one-dimensional and easy to fight. Wars could be declared and undeclared with a stroke of the pen -- bim, bam, done.
    Jobs would appear magically and pay decent wages and include health coverage, so universal health care would be unnecessary.

It's a nice fantasy!

I personally have never heard anyone refer to Democrats as angels who will "save us from poverty!" Try to level the playing field between the haves and the have nots, yes. "Save us" (who is this "us" anyway?) from poverty, no.

1. William R. Wilson profile image59
      William R. Wilsonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Indeed.

I personally vote, and support, whoever I think will best serve my interests and the interests of the nation.  Usually that means I vote democratic but sometimes I support Republicans.  John Duncan, a Repub. here in TN, was one of the few people to vote against the Iraq war resolution.  He is a true conservative, and I like him quite a bit. 

Politics is not black and white, one party this or that.

Same thing with Obama - I supported him, voted for him, and I still support him.  Why?  Because I believe in his ideas.  Do I think he's god?  Of course not.  Do I support everything he's done?  Of course not.  Will I vote for him again?  Yes, especially if the Republicans offer us another Sarah Palin as the alternative. 

We need to stop trying to turn everything into good and evil, and actually think about the issues. 

But then again, I'm one of those evil progressives, so why would you listen to anything I say?

3. Mighty Mom profile image77

William,
    By the new definitions (made by TMM) it appears that MOST of us here on the Forum are "progressives." And thus "evil."
    I'm just getting used to being called an "evil liberal" and a "leant leftist" and now this new label.

I agree with you -- I, too, vote for who I think will be the best for the job at hand. I voted for Arnold here in CA.
    It's not really his fault the state is ungovernable.

When you say "if the Republicans offer us another Sarah Palin..." Please don't tell me there's more than one!!!???big_smile

1. Misha profile image65
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think you look like one... wink

2. William R. Wilson profile image59

Just give in to the dark side, MM.  I did.  I fully admit my desire to create a worldwide gay agnostic communist dictatorship.

4. Mighty Mom profile image77

Why Misha, how kind of you to notice!
    I have been out practicing my moose hunting!
    Do you like my new glasses?

Its not a bad thing if you look like Sarah Palin.

Now if he had said Hillary Clinton or god forgive Nancy Pelosi I could understand any anger you might feel.

2. William R. Wilson profile image59

Just be careful next time the Republican Party offers to buy you some new clothes...  and try to memorize the names of some national news publications.  You don't have to actually read them, just be able to pretend that you do.

3. Misha profile image65

They are terrific - except I can't recognize them on your pic wink

5. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I find this topic completely out of whack. lol

No politicians are not "Anti" War. They all encourage separation, based on the ideology that America is the leaders of the world(for whatever reason).

None of them work to prevent Wars. Their actions prove it.

It's a majority of citizens who are ANTI War. smile

1. William R. Wilson profile image59

Exactly - because it is the citizens who have to go and die.

6. Reality Bytes profile image72
    Reality Bytesposted 14 years ago

Wilson (D) World War I

Roosevlt (D)  World War II

Truman (D) Korean Conflict

Johnson (D)  Vietnam

Bush (R) Current Wars

yeah them democrats do despise their wars.

Just to be fair.

Reagan had Grenada and Bush #1 had the Gulf war.

From the start of hostilities in the Gulf war to the end.

Both conflicts lasted less than 2 months.

1. Reality Bytes profile image72
        Reality Bytesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well Clinton had Somalia and the Balkans as well.

Wilson also had Haiti.

Clinton did too.

Haiti?

1. Reality Bytes profile image72

Mckinley (R) Spanish -American war

I think the Dems are way ahead in the "lets war" category.

Can't forget poor Lincoln having to save the Union against traitorous democrats in the South.

Oh yeah?

Well Madison invaded Canada, so there!

2. wildorangeflower profile image61
      wildorangeflowerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

For both the WWs the US need to join the war, it is inevitable, it is just an opportune time that it was during their times that wars could have erupted, even the Vietnam War -- afraid that the Commies will take over

we didn't need to do anything. FDR knew Pearl Harbor was going to be attacked and did nothing. the prez's job is to protect citizens from foreign invasions, and he couldn't even do that!

both "world" wars were one long european civil war with a short sabbatical in between. The US didn't need to be involved.

1. wildorangeflower profile image61

Germany declared war on us because we were supporting the Allied through arms plus, they supported Japan after Pearl Harbor was bombed.
          Japan has a grudge on US because of the US friendship with China, FDR cant declare war because there is no sufficient evidence but once it happened they joined the war and supported the Philippines and gained control of the Pacific. I know this part because my grandfather is a guerilla during that time and he fought alongside American troops against the Japs

Japan attacked the US because FDR was unconstitutionally starving their oil supply. FDR wanted war, and we would've declared war. FDR knew pearl harbor was coming and failed to act.

Check out "Pearl Harbor: the seeds and fruits of infamy"

Thanks for the information, but I prefer to base my judgment after reading Encyclopedia Britannica.

1. Misha profile image65

Thinking for yourself and connecting the dots is actually quite refreshing. Try it for a change, you might like it wink

2. Reality Bytes profile image72

So you will just accept any story you are told?   Oh My!

My judgment is based on what I read and I analyzed. Britannica for me is the best unbiased account.
                  History could be written in what is good for certain people, it can be reinvented, retold rehashed and everything imaginable.

1. Misha profile image65

Surely it is unbiased, especially where it covers the wars Britain took part in lol

2. Reality Bytes profile image72

What a coincidence? 

After WWI the NWO tried to set up the League of Nations.

After WWII the NWO successfully implemented the United Nations.

Coincidence?

Problem+Reaction=Solution

Create a war

Bring the human population to complete fear of war

Try to set up a global governance.  So that peope will not have to fear war!

There is more to history then they will put into an encyclopedia.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image60

that's funny that your "judgment is based on what I read and I analyzed. " but you refuse to read things that you might disagree with.

http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/021308/conspiracy-chart-2008.gif

i didn't mention anything about conspiracies, but thanks for being a jerk!

It's pretty much well documented that FDR let pearl harbor happen.

1. Dave Barnett profile image58
                  Dave Barnettposted 14 years agoin reply to this

As far as dems being anti-war, they are actually a mixed bag. Most of our wars were while a dem was in office FDR WW2, JFK  and Johnson Viet Nam and others. Dems are pro war for different reasons than GOP

And what would those reasons be?

7. RKHenry profile image65
    RKHenryposted 13 years ago

The first post is such hogwash.  Hogwash I tell you, hogwash.  Typical Republican move.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)