Did Obama sink the Titanic?!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (37 posts)
  1. Petra Vlah profile image60
    Petra Vlahposted 13 years ago

Let me be clear; there are plenty of things Obama did or didn’t do in those two years, so I am far from happy, but let’s try to be fair. He inherited a terrible economic mess and two wars with no end in sight; there is no denying that 
    He made plenty of mistakes on his own and there is no denying that either. The promised “transparency” of the campaign became the most opaque dealing in Washington and “business as usual” was doing well. Counting on the enthusiasm that swept the country 2 years ago, Obama did not understand that the youth is a moving target and obsessed only with the new gadget that hits the market. Losing the vote of the senior citizens (for good reason) cost the administration the congress and just about the senate.
    Blaming Obama for everything and forgetting that he could not get the republicans on board and pass their emphatic no to any initiative is not fair either, but now that power seems to be distributed more evenly let’s see what happens next.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am hoping that they can make some more progress now however Boehner wasn't exactly...well he was the guy who told the entire RP to say no to everything and like someone else said somewhere; I think their objective is to impeach the president. 

I don't see a lot of positive coming out of this.  The balance is good yet, the House has "veto" power and I think it is unlikely that anything will get accomplished without reverting back to the "let's make a deal". 

Not exactly what I wanted.  Hoping for negotiations yes, but not bribery.  We will see what happens.

1. BillyDRitchie profile image60
        BillyDRitchieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The problem here is that no one in GOP ranks has mentioned the idea of impeachment.  My guess would be because while Obama may be inept and incompetent, those characteristics hardly rise to the level of "high crimes"

2. weholdthesetruths profile image61
      weholdthesetruthsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, Obama sunk his party, which is a net gain to the country.

Petra Vlahposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I believe that to be only partially his fault; Nancy Pelosi certainly did not help the democrats and personally I am happy to see her gone.
        If anything now we have a more balanced government and that should help - too much power of any one political party -  is detrimental for the country

1. Neil Sperling profile image60
          Neil Sperlingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Power Corrupts - Absolute power corrupts absolutely! Forget who that quote is from but too much power and or too much money in too few hands = absolute corruption..... the world today!

there is hope of course - we the people may be disillusioned * but we are not dead.

* (our own fault likely as we are too focused on gadgets and getting by WITH as many as we can get)

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nicely said Neil! smile It's great to see you. It's been awhile. smile Hope things are well for you. smile

2. Petra Vlah profile image60

The quote belongs to Lord Acton "power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men"

Cagsil - good to see you too -

Petre - Thanks My for the quote details. They say if you quote another 7 times you still include the author - When you quote 8-14 times you say "you heard someone say......."  - if you quote another more than 15 times you say "I always said....."  LOL

3. weholdthesetruths profile image61

Power corrupts... Which is why our federal government was supposed to have very little power - so it would not become wholly corrupt.

3. dutchman1951 profile image59
      dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Democratic Titanic attitude they once had, yes
      but the actual ship of state, NO.

Give him time though, its coming and not necessarly of all his own doing I will say, but it is coming I think.

I watched him close today, and I really think he did not get the message at all. I hope so for all of us, but I have doubts for myself about it.

I think he did get the message. Obama is an intelligent man and he is probably looking back and trying to figure out what went wrong.
        He most certainly bough into his own fame and got disconnected (as it often happens with people in power), but he still have time to make adjustments, or at least I hope so

1. dutchman1951 profile image59
          dutchman1951posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope so to Petra, and maybe in looking back on today he well may be still sorting it out some. I did agree with him that there is a difference between a reaction to an emergency and a policy stance, and in truth he may well have had to do some stuff he was not all together in favor of doing. But he blew a year and a half doing that and just concentrating on health care?

I guess it is really is to soon to tell, have to really see the results finally played out. But you got to admit here some of these high brain trust guys he uses leave some things to question.

Like today announcing the Fed will buy up the 6 million or billion rather in our own Bonds? Makes me question his influences and his allowing things like that to happen? We can not buy our own Debt and get out of this.

And if we keep de-valuing the Gold backing, then even the weakest 3rd world country is smart enough to know when the dollar is no longer strong enough to deal on. We are slowly sinking down. Loosing world markets for goods, and we have over a long period of time now, (many years) sent our factories off-shore and cross border.

Sense Regan!...yes the great Regan!   We have a fractured our factory environment and that has depressed a job market. Small business can not carry this load.  By definition it is small, and can not hire what we need to grow and raise the GDP like they say they want to do. It is a really bad situation we are in.

I honestly do not think he has any answers at all, to me he seams very axiomatic (learn as you go) and we, right now do not have time for that. he's a good man in the Presidency at the wrong time, for the level of experience we really need in the US. To me he is out of place and timing for the U.S. right now.

You have to open opportunity to compete in a world market, then get out of the way and let businessmen be businessmen. Government throughout history has never created jobs!  That's why I say he is missing the message we sent.

Obama still believes, as does the Democrat party, that the problem is, that they didn't go far enough to the left, and that they didn't get nasty enough with the GOP.   

They know not the nation they seek to rule...  It's a nation which is never to be ruled, so saith the Constitution.

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
            Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ummm .. I thought I have been all over the Constitution and I am not familiar with that clause.. or do you just make stuff up as you go along?

1. weholdthesetruths profile image61

I'm pretty sure you're just not familiar with the Constitution.   You know, like someone who memorizes stuff, not to understand, but to spit it out from memory...

And while you're dreaming up some kind of ad hominem style comeback, start reading to try to find ANYWHERE in the Constitution and first 10 amendments where the federal government is delegated ANY power that allows it to control or force anything up a citizen.   

It doesn't exist.   The federal government was never intended to control, govern, limit, or otherwise trample upon the citizens.

Tell that to Bush!
                His Patriotic Act tramples allover the right of citizens and makes the "Bill of Rights" a bad joke. But than again, nobody expects him to have read or understood much of anything

1. weholdthesetruths profile image61

Bush is not president.  Doesn't hold any office.   NEver will again.   Bush is irrelevant to the rest of time.    So why are you talking about him?

Thank God Bush will never hold office again; he did enough damage to set this country back a hundred years. Bush was irrelevant even at the time when his vice president was running the country for him. That was always his biggest asset - to be irrelevant

You said "the federal government was never intended to control, to govern, limit, or otherwise trample upon the citizen" - to which I said "tell that to Bush" so what is it that you do not understand?
                    The relevance of my answere is there for everyone to see it, but I believe you DO NOT want to see it

4. tony0724 profile image60
      tony0724posted 13 years agoin reply to this

In all fairness to Obama I do not think he sank the Titanic there are many responsible for our demise and it started many years ago with both parties. This is the start of the culmation of those actions. And the Fed is going to be printing up funny money again. SO what costed you $10.00 this year will cost you $12.00 next year. And this is where the problem started , with the Fed. Thank's Woodrow Wilson ! Read " The Creature From Jekyll Island " by E Howard Griffin. This was the genesis of our current problems !

Those who do not understand how money is actually created can get an easy to understand look (listen) if they googled "wizards of money" ... it is an audio series that explains it in layman terms. 21 audios in all - the first one is the important one. About 20 minutes each but 20 minutes well spent.

5. itakins profile image69
      itakinsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Petra Viah
      Why do we bandy the word power about so much?-surely it should be about leadership -and whether a person/persons are good or bad leaders.
      A good leader never seeks power as such,although great responsibilities may be thrust upon him/her.He leads from the front .the midst or the back -but he always leads with transparency and honesty-for the good of all.

Did Obama sink the Titanic?-No ,but he's making a darn good job of sinking the Ark.

2. Hawkers Bazaar profile image61
    Hawkers Bazaarposted 13 years ago

I think Obama didn't sink the Titanic, I think he has struggled to raise the Titanic. I don't think anyone in his power could have stopped it from sinking in the first place and who knows how long it will take to raise it to when she was previously sailing strong?

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Did Obama sink the Titanic?!

Personally, this Country hasn't been properly governed since it's inception. lol

4. brimancandy profile image79
    brimancandyposted 13 years ago

No, I don't think Obama sank the Titanic, but, I think Bush could be the Iceburg that ripped it down the middle, and, Obama has been the only one with a bucket, trying to bail out the water to keep it from sinking, while the rest of the members in our government don wigs, and try to dive into the nearest lifeboat, and, lay low til the coast is clear, so they can blame someone else for how they got there to begin with.

It's no certainly no surprise that the last 10 years have been a complete mess, and since Obama has only been President for 2 of those years. Well, You do the math.

5. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

He didn't sink it, there were lots of factors in play, but he took the helm and is the captain in charge.

6. profile image0
    GladYaMetMe!posted 13 years ago

Obama sank nothing; uniformed and misinformed fools believed lies and unscrupulous media hype and then proceeded to vote against their own interests.
    Too many Americans are lazy and ignorant when it comes to politics and are easily led down the garden path.  Add fear and anxiety to that mix and it becomes a demagogue's paradise.  Fox and the mega-corporations win again.

7. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

There are so many things I could talk about here.  In my view the Bush/Cheney Presidency trashed the reputation of the United States and brought it to its knees.

The suspension of the Rule of Law/Upholding the Us Constitution/suspension of Habeus Corpus in relation to detainees held by the Govt following 9/11,

A casual and relaxed governance of U.S. Financial Institutions which allowed the creation of default deposit swaps that almost brought the world to economic gridlock & depression.

The falsificiation and deceipt, denegration and misrepresentation of evidence to the United Nations prior to the start of the 2nd Iraq War.

Failure of Bush and Cheney to attend to Climate Change/Global warming
    by saying its business as usual and therefore not leading the country out of being the wolds biggest polluter ans waster of resources...

This is/was  the poisoned chalice that was left to the intelligent/articluate orator the black skinned Barack Obama..

now many of the billie tea brigade want to go back to those sad stupid times how silly is that..

8. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

Did Obama sink the Titanic? Possibly. He spent so much money with nothing much to show for it but a lot of debt.  Think about it; Obama has labelled the Republicans that were there the Party of No and yet, the Party of No won by a landslide.  It seems to me that there were a lot of people who liked that the Republicans said no to his policies.  Hopefully he does get it but I don't think so.

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I know you are not naive enough to believe that is why the republicans won more seats. corporations bought a lot of these seats. Tea Party votes came from those fed up with the party of NO currently sitting in Congress. others gave Rep. a second chance influenced by the fear tactics from countless media attacks.

Fear works every time; hope not as fast, so no wonder...
      Let's see what happens next, but let's also remember "the more things change, the more they stay the same"

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, it does and fear breeds on ignorance.

it will take compromise on all sides of the aisle.
        I simply hope that they will grow up and work together. that is hope with a big H, I know.. not likely. their agenda is to make Obama a one term president, their agenda is not country first. but they make it sound that way.. the prey is the masses.
        we'll see how they keep their campaign pledge. I do hope there is room for civility.

in answer to your question, no, I don't think so. it's been sinking for a while now. sometimes I think they simply need to remember what they learned in kindergarten.. and it would be a better world.

2. Flightkeeper profile image67
      Flightkeeperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know that the democrats don't like to face reality but corporations did buy more democrats in this election but it didn't help them. lol

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 06753.html

Yes, it was tea party votes, they are the ones that are revitalizing the Republican Party from the dead.  They have become a force that the dems and the RINOs have to deal with.  And yes they made the landslide win of the party of no possible lol

And as for fear tactics, the lamestream media certainly did a good job of putting the fear on liberals regarding the tea party. big_smile

Did anyone tune in to the MSNBC election reporting? It was hilarious!

10. thooghun profile image93
    thooghunposted 13 years ago

Its amazing. We had the exact same debates only a few years ago -- but entirely reversed. When the accusers were the accused, and vice-versa.

Just like I said; "the more things change, the more they stay the same"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)