jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)

MSNBC suspends Olbermann over political contributions

1. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 7 years ago

MSNBC suspends Olbermann over political contributions

http://mit.zenfs.com/5/2010/11/olby3.jpg
    well now it's Keith...
    Politico reported Friday that Olbermann gave the maximum individual donation of $2,400 to three candidates in Tuesday's election: Arizona Reps. Gabrielle Giffords and Raul Grijalva and Senate hopeful Jack Conway, who lost in Kentucky to Republican Rand Paul. (Grijalva appeared on Olbermann's "Countdown" on Oct. 28, the same day the host donated to his campaign; Conway was last a guest in May).

Is MSNBC owned by Republicans...roll

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20 … tributions

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

Reporters are allowed to make polical donations, it's in their contracts.  I have no idea what he was thinking.

3. lady_love158 profile image60
    lady_love158posted 7 years ago

LOL! So much for impartiality of the main stream media! That guy was a tool!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The only difference is that people on Fox told their bosses they were making the donations they made, if he had told his boss he would not have gotten in trouble.

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 7 years ago

The netwrok media hasn't been impartial for a long time.  But rules is rules.

5. Ralph Deeds profile image66
    Ralph Deedsposted 7 years ago

Too bad! Olbermann was partisan but correct most of the time, and he usually had his facts straight, in contrast to the crowd at Faux News.

1. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 7 years agoin reply to this

LOL! You kill me! I'm sure Krugman would agree with you too! LOL

1. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

"Earlier this year Mr. Hannity made a $2,400 contribution to a Republican congressional candidate, John Gomez, a long-time friend of his, and a $5,000 contribution to the political action committee of Representative Michele Bachmann, Republican of Minnesota.

"Fox’s parent company, the News Corporation, also came under scrutiny this year for a $1 million donation to the Republican Governors Association — a donation that Mr. Olbermann has been sharply critical of."

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2 … ations/?hp

And, as everybody knows, Murdoch has 4 out of 5 GOP presidential hopefuls on the Fox payroll, so let's not get too sanctimonius about about Olberman's contributions. GE may be throwing a bone to the GOP.

1. lady_love158 profile image60
          lady_love158posted 7 years agoin reply to this

That may prove to be a problem if and when they declare their candidacy. In Olbermann's case it was probably just an excuse to get rid of him because his ratings sucked, and rightfully so! LOL

2. Ralph Deeds profile image66
        Ralph Deedsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

No doubt! Krugman and I are on the same wavelength nearly all the time.

2. BillyDRitchie profile image62
      BillyDRitchieposted 7 years agoin reply to this

What to say but a) wow, and b) can I have some of whatever you are smoking?

6. rachellrobinson profile image80
    rachellrobinsonposted 7 years ago

What you guys don't get that are saying "well Hannity supported a Republican" is that Hannity doesn't work for NBC and NBC has a policy that it's Anchors cannot support political candidates. Olbermann violated NBC's policy. If you violate a company policy they have the right to suspend you. If it had been a "Republican" reporter rather than a Democrat people might be screaming that his rights had been violate. Olbermann; whom I have never personally watched, nor do I agree with only got suspended because he broke policy. His political beliefs have nothing to do with it, and his ratings have nothing to do with it.

1. Doug Hughes profile image59
      Doug Hughesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

We 'get' that he was suspended for breaking policy. I don't think any liberals have suggested his politics or ratings were the cause.

What we ARE saying is that in the real media - direct political involvement is against the rules. Those rules are enforced. The 'liberal media' is a myth - but conservative propaganda is alive and well. On FOX - which is not real news - bias and partisanship is a condition of employment.

1. rachellrobinson profile image80
        rachellrobinsonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So it is okay if a Newsperson is biased as long as he is liberally biased?

2. BillyDRitchie profile image62
        BillyDRitchieposted 7 years agoin reply to this

So Fox isn't real news?  Can you show us some fake news stories they have put out?  I'd be really interested in seeing them....

7. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 7 years ago

It seems very harsh and there seems to be a message that the media bosses are sending lately....

working