Palin is sinking in the polls.

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (35 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Palin just hit an all-time low in favorability. Maybe people are beginning to see through her. It didn't take me this long!

http://www.gallup.com/poll/144491/Palin … -High.aspx

1. Doug Hughes profile image60
      Doug Hughesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ahhhhh- You are sharper than average, Rose, BUT if you notice in the poll broken down by party, Palin has an 80% favorable rating among republicans.

This is one of the most interesting factors of the next election cycle. The GOP shrunk in size over the last decade, leaving a VERY polarized ultra-conservative core. This nucleus of the former GOP, purged of moderates, will select the next GOP candidate - probably Palin  or (Ron Paul) - despite her general unpopularity when you factor in independents.

Conservatives claim Obama is un-electable in 2012. It looks to be more true of Palin and Paul - even more so of Huckabee and Romney. But someone is going to be elected...

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

See, that's what really bothers me about BOTH parties. I'm right of center, but I'm not far-right like Palin, so my choices are limited. I agree with some of the views from each party, but I want a moderate to run! I can't find ANY candidate who thinks just like me. LOL!

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good news!

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

LOLZ at your new avatar, Holle lol

Does it help to attract more traffic?

1. habee profile image92

That's my daughter, Misha. I was using a variety of pics a couple of weeks ago, just for the fun of it...but ya know what? I HAVE had more traffic since I put Shan's pic up! It could just be holiday traffic, however. Good to see you, my friend!

1. Misha profile image63
        Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good to see you, too. And she is gorgeous smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
          Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll have to agree with Misha on her beauty. Besides, I took the picture, so I guess I should say "thank you", however, I'm not going to. tongue tongue

1. habee profile image92

LOL, Cags!! Just don't share those other pics you took!

Cagsil - you willin' to share those other pictures? Inquiring minds want to know....

2. habee profile image92

Thanks, Misha. Shannon is a real sweetie!

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 13 years ago

it's cuz she's dumb

1. habee profile image92

Evan, my daughter is NOT dumb! She's a nurse and graduated at the top of her class!

Oh...you meant Palin?! Never mind! lol

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
        Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

?! Yes, palin!! i've never met your daughter.

tell her to put her figure away and steer clear of the wolves.

4. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Don't forget, everyone, "Sarah Palin's Alaska" premieres tonight! I find this article from Mediaweek rather interesting, especially the last graph. I personally object strongly to giving ANY candidate this kind of exposure. She should have had to sign a waiver to get the TV series. "I promise I will NOT run for POTUS in 2012."

Jury's Out on Sarah Palin's Alaska
    TLC to draw ratings with Palin series; will ads follow?

Nov 14, 2010

- Anthony Crupi, Mediaweek

adweek/photos/stylus/156869-sarah-palin-alaska-L.jpg
    TLC now has its very own Situation.

At the moment Sarah Palin is perhaps the most polarizing figure in the American imagination, a woman who excites the old jump in the blood in Red and Blue staters alike.

To some, she’s Sarah Barracuda, a term of endearment used by supporters to describe her predatory tenacity; to others, she’s a burnished absurdity: Caribou Barbie. Bible Spice.

There is no middle ground when the subject is the former governor of Alaska and GOP vice presidential candidate. So it follows that advertisers would express similarly antithetical opinions on the merits of her new reality series. Ostensibly untouched by politics, the eight-part TLC travelogue, Sarah Palin’s Alaska, follows the folksy 46-year-old and her family as they take in the rugged splendor of their native state.

With 16 minutes and 45 seconds of commercial/promo time available during Sunday night’s series premiere, the TLC ad sales team has approximately 33 available 30-second spots set aside for sponsor messages. Media buyers suggest that a heavy run of direct-response ads and network promos -- the network is debuting the demo-appropriate Pawn Queens on Nov. 18 -- could reduce that total by as much as a third.

Sources indicate the demand for Sarah Palin’s Alaska are about what one would expect of a series that has the potential to draw as many as 4.25 million total viewers in its 9 p.m. premiere. “We’ve heard from clients who don’t want to align themselves with the show, and for reasons that are fairly self-evident,” said one national TV buyer. “But most brands don’t give a shit about her politics. They need to move their product, and this is a much cheaper way to reach a lot of people. Simple as that.”

Among the list of sponsors who are said to have ponied up for time in the premiere are Unilever’s Dove, Allstate Car Insurance and Procter & Gamble’s Charmin. The three clients have bought pre-roll spots on TLC’s dedicated SPA Web site, splitting opportunities with Sears, Shell and Google Chrome.

Thus far, categories appear to be limited to CPG, insurance and financial services although TLC is said to have sewn up business with at least one major movie studio. The 20th Century Fox thriller Unstoppable opened Friday, alongside Universal Studios’ sci-fi flick Skyline.

Major categories that are not represented in the SPA opener include automotive, telco and travel. Some QSR money is expected to roll in after the first installment.

TLC parent Discovery Communications rather uncharacteristically declined to comment on the series’ commercial prospects although a spokesperson said that none of the digital advertisers had invested in linear TV spots.   

“Any time you have a potentially volatile situation, clients are going to take a wait-and-see approach,” said one agency executive. “So they’ll hold their money back even if they suspect the show will get a big rating. If they think they can live with the content, they’ll try to jump right in the next week.”

Only one overt political statement is uttered in the SPA pilot. Before we get our first gander at the Alaskan wilderness, the star of the show points out a 14-foot privacy fence erected to deter the snooping writer next door. In her Wasilla-by-way-of-Fargo singsong, Palin makes a clumsy analogy about securing the U.S.-Mexico border.

Since Sept. 12, TLC has averaged 1.34 million viewers in the SPA slot.
    Based on projected deliveries and estimated spot costs, Palin could receive as much as $2.25 million in free media exposure per episode, or $18 million for the entire series. In other words, if Palin were to make a run for the White House in 2012, TLC will have gifted the world’s most famous hockey mom with an unprecedented tide of soft-focus campaign support.

How that sits with longtime Hillary Rodham Clinton backer and Discovery chairman/co-founder John Hendricks is anybody’s guess.

1. habee profile image92

Not a Palin fan, but I will watch the show - the first one, at least. I'd love to see a show about Hil! What about the Huckabee Show? I didn't hear much uproar about his having his own show. Then again, I don't think he's generated the hate that Palin has. Even if you disagree with the Huck, how could you hate him on a personal level? Also, I suppose his show is more bi-partisan since he often has democrats as guests. Hmmm...I think perhaps I just answered my own question! lol

1. I am DB Cooper profile image63
        I am DB Cooperposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think there's a big difference between a panel show and a reality show like Palin's. Panel shows are news and debates, which is good practice for someone considering a presidential run. Reality TV is all about publicity. It's people giving up their privacy just to be on camera. Did Palin consider what this experience is like for her children? The last thing I would have wanted when I was a teenager would be for everyone in the country to be able to tune and watch my everyday life.

1. habee profile image92

True, DB. Huckabee doesn't involve his kids. Palin's teenage daughter didn't seem very happy, did she?

5. Mighty Mom profile image79

Call me old fashioned, but...
    I find it in poor taste to have a potential presidential candidate hosting a reality show in her home.
    The antithesis of presidential. And my main area of concern is the amount of free airtime Palin will be getting.

Somewhere recently on here (could be on this thread or another politics thread) someone wisely commented that America is engaging in "Idol politics." And people are voting with about that level of thought put in.

I don't mind particularly that FOX has all or almost all of the GOP hopefuls on their payroll. But a reality show series???
    Seriously -- pick one, Sarah. Be a media darling/publicity hound OR be a serious politician. This is denigrating to public office (IMHO).

Hillary would never in a bazillion years go for a reality show about her life. I don't even think Bill would!

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
      Reality Bytesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lewenskigate was a reality show all on its own!

Taking reality to a whole nother level.

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Palin is sinking in the polls.

This is a good thing. smile

1. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hope so. But they  always seem to come up with worse.

7. Paul Wingert profile image62
    Paul Wingertposted 13 years ago

What I don't understand is how this babbling dingbat got so popular in the first place.

I think it was the money that George Soros gave him.  Without that money he would have never become president.

1. habee profile image92

That was a good one, RB!!

8. Mighty Mom profile image79

RB -- What money that George Soros gave who?

Just repeating right-wing propaganda. No facts.

You want facts?

The sloth (a mammal) moves so slowly that green algae can grow undisturbed on its fur!

Cat urine glows under a black-light!

The world's termites outweigh the world's humans 10 to 1!

The electric chair was invented by a dentist!

Windmills always turn counter-clockwise. Except for the windmills in Ireland!

A hedgehog's heart beats 300 times a minute on average!
        Camels have three eyelids to protect themselves from blowing sand!   

The placement of a donkey's eyes in its head enables it to see all four feet at all times!

Human teeth are almost as hard as rocks!

A mole can dig a tunnel 300 feet long in just one night!

Ancient Egyptians slept on pillows made of stone!

A hippo can open its mouth wide enough to fit a 4 foot tall child inside!

A quarter has 119 grooves on its edge, a dime has one less groove!

9. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 13 years ago

He-he big_smile

10. Abecedarian profile image78
    Abecedarianposted 13 years ago

Never say never! Didn't anyone learn anything from the election recently.  Democrats thought that no one in their right mind would vote for the lunatic fringe, boy were they wrong.  Palin will run because she loves the attention, not to mention all the money she can make and all the perks that she gets. She won't go away.  It will take an Obama/Clinton ticket to give the Dems a chance, no matter what Obama and Biden say. At this point the only thing that can hurt the Republicans is the Republicans and Palin if she makes an ass of herself. Only time will tell.

1. habee profile image92

Maybe a Hillary/Biden ticket would be better?

2. Pcunix profile image89
      Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think everyone with a brain should move to New England.  As the supply of such is limited, I'm sure we have enough room even without kicking out those without a functioning brain, but they are welcome to leave.

After everyone settles in, we should graciously offer to secede from the Union.  I do not mean threaten, I mean offer, as a favor to the Conservatives so we need no longer interfere with their elections.

I'm quite sure they don't need our taxes, as they apparently will have no need for ANYONE'S taxes after they get through restructuring Government to the point where it basically does nothing.

As for us, we'll all survive by providing services for the few instances where they do appreciate intelligence - programming their VCR's and explaining how to set up their GPS, that sort of thing. 

We'll be happy, they'll be happy and we can all just sit around until the Chinese arrive to take it all over. 

Sound like a good idea?

11. Mighty Mom profile image79

I like your idea, Pcunix. If we could only figure out a way to combine the two coasts into one blue country and let the great red center go its own way!
    I know, you probably don't want California joining and bleeding our red ink all over your intellectual utopia (I can't say as I blame you). However,you will still need the film industry for entertainment value and Apple is HQ'd here and Microsoft in WA, so hope you will invite us, too!

12. Mighty Mom profile image79

Hey, I know!
    How about a Clinton/Rice ticket! Grrrlpower rocks!
    That would sure shock the hell out of both sides of the aisle, wouldn't it!!???

1. habee profile image92

I got one better than that, MM - a Pelosi/Palin ticket! Vote for PP (or pee-pee). lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)