Marissa, Mish says Aussie House Bubble Popping. Party Over

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (22 posts)
  1. bgamall profile image68
    bgamallposted 13 years ago

Hi Marissa, a warning to Aussies: the housing bubble party is coming to an end: http://globaleconomicanalysis.blogspot. … s-now.html

Mish is usually pretty accurate about banker abuse and economic realities. I don't agree with him about some things, but much of what he says is true.

bgamallposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The key thing to watch is the surge in inventory. In Reno, NV, I was aware of massive RE inventory of over 3000 unsold homes in 2005, and sure enough, we have had one of the biggest crashes ever, with 64 percent of the mortgages still underwater. Las Vegas is first with 80% of mortgages underwater and Phoenix is second with 68% of mortgages underwater.

Inventory buildup is a key that houses are not moving. Perhaps why that decadent Rothschild bank, ING, was looking into perpetual mortgages for Aussies before they were found out. I had a part in that uncovering, and I did it for your own good in the long run, Marissa. smile

2. profile image0
    shazwellynposted 13 years ago

Australia and the rest of the world, eh?  Welcome Australia to the club!

3. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

Sounds good to me. At the moment people my age can't really afford a new home without saving for years just for a deposit.

1. Kidgas profile image63
      Kidgasposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Affordability is really a key when it comes to supply and demand.  If people can't afford to purchase the houses that exist, eventually prices will crash especially when demand is the result of artificially low interest rates.

2. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I hate to say it... as an older bird, that has always been the case!  It is only self certification in recent years that changed all that and we all know what happened next, don't we?

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, not necessarily.  We bought our first home for $24,000 and my income at the time was right around that (and was not unusually high).  Before the bubble broke and even still today in sone places, very few people can look at a home for anything close to their yearly income.

Now, yes, we were required to put a good amount down, but it was only $5,000 which was not all that difficult to scrounge up.

3. bgamall profile image68

Most loans in Australia are adjustable loans, a recipe for disaster.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, we use different terminology here because our mortgage legislation is so different - what do you mean by an adjustable loan?

Hi Marisa, an adjustable loan starts out with low payments and adjusts upward to higher payments as the loan progresses.

Then you have been misinformed, Australian mortgages are not adjustable.

Some mortgage companies offer a "honeymoon rate" for the first year ONLY, which is usually a half percent lower than the normal rate.  After the first twelve months it reverts to the standard variable rate.

2. SiddSingh profile image61
            SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think it is also known as "balloon payment mortgage/loan".

Doesn't exist in Australia as far as I know.  Sounds similar to a business lease (e.g. on equipment)?

1. SiddSingh profile image61

It is available on most of the loan products - car, home, equipment, but mostly popular with commercial borrowers.

I think "adjustable loans" may also imply floating interest loans - mostly availed on home mortgage/loans - though upwards movement in those EMIs will result only with increasing interest rates.

Where do you live, SiddSingh?   Balloon-type payments aren't generally available on home mortgages in Australia.

Bgamall, it just occurred to me that our terminology may be confusing you.  We do have "adjustable rate mortgages", but that only means that the interest rate is variable in line with the bank rate.

1. SiddSingh profile image61

I am an Indian citizen (and live in India). Some lenders do offer it here - though it is not very popular. I did not mean to imply that it is available in Australia.

This is what I think too!

2. bgamall profile image68

American adjustables start out with interest rates below bank rates, then adjust upward. There are lots of interest only adjustables in Australia where people start out paying the interest only, a recipe for disaster. http://www.homeloanfinder.com.au/offset … t-account/

And no doc loans will roast the Aussie housing market: http://www.aussiebestloans.com.au/lo_doc.php

Deja vu all over again!

If no doc loans, or liar loans, with bad credit, are offered in Australia, you need to sell or it will crash before you do sell.

This is the bottom line, house prices should not be much above 4 times yearly income. And rents should be slightly more than a house price. You know these basic fundamentals don't exist in Australia. Now, clearly some cities will withstand this better than others. While the east bay is tanking, SF and the peninsula have not yet gone down 20 percent. So it depends if you own in the uber rich parts, with high tech jobs, or away from that.

Houses in Manhattan Beach in Cali that went for 900k are now selling at 700k but could go down to 500k, if things get worse.

I believe China's only way to fight the Fed's easy money QE2 is to quit stockpiling commodities. That will tear Australia apart. I don't know if they will do that but it could happen.

2. bgamall profile image68

Marissa, it is good that Australia limits interest only loans to investors. That was not the case here. Interest only was insanity.

However, no doc bad credit loans, with teaser rates could still get Australia in trouble, especially if there is any economic weakness.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)