jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Obama has announced what he wants:

1. habee profile image96
    habeeposted 6 years ago

* Extend the Bush tax rates for all Americans for 2 years

* Extend unemployment benefits for 13 months

* A one-year reduction of the payroll tax of 2%

* for 2 years, a 35% estate tax on inheritances worth over $5 million

2. habee profile image96
    habeeposted 6 years ago

How many of you think he'll get it?

3. Mighty Mom profile image87
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

I don't think he really "wants" all of those. I think he bargained #1 to get #2 and is counting on #3 to get employers to hire.
    #4 is kind of a joke. As well as high net worth individuals can hide income from the IRS, they are equally adept at getting around estate tax laws. But I guess it looks good to the middle class that the "uber rich" are pitching in something rather than nothing.

1. habee profile image96
      habeeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Well, yeah - I know that's not really what he WANTS, but that's what he's telling Congress to do.

4. Mighty Mom profile image87
    Mighty Momposted 6 years ago

Since when does he TELL Congress to do anything?
    LOL!!!!

1. Flightkeeper profile image74
      Flightkeeperposted 6 years agoin reply to this

When it was majority democrat.  But not anymore.

2. Pcunix profile image93
      Pcunixposted 6 years agoin reply to this

He's telling them what he's willing to sign.

5. habee profile image96
    habeeposted 6 years ago

Perhaps I should have said that was what he SUGGESTED Congress do. lol

6. profile image61
    C.J. Wrightposted 6 years ago

I think he can get that done. It's better than other ideas I've heard.

The idea of harrasing the rich isn't going to work. For several reasons, the least of which being, politicians are generally wealthy.

What Obama and Democrats need to focus on is closing the loop holes in the current tax code. Quit using "wealth envy" or "class envy" to divide America. Address the issue. If the wealthy of America like Buffet are bragging that they only pay about 12% to 15% when their tax bracket is 35% there are HUGE HOLES. Granted, Buffet is probably deriving most of his income from capital gains and dividends. However I'm guessing there is some "gray" area accounting going on as well.

1. lovemychris profile image63
      lovemychrisposted 6 years agoin reply to this

It's not envy! It's total outrage at what's going on here!

It's an outrage!

People are LOSING their HOMES due to the machinations of these same people, who can't be satisfied with a tax cut on a quarter million dollars...they just HAVE to have MORE.

And if one more person says that a poor person deserves to live a life of misery, I am going to call you out for what you are....a GD snob, who has no idea about the hardships and pitfalls of this Capitalist Concrete Jungle you call a Democracy.

working